YA LGBT Books discussion

Totally Off Topic > Stuff that doesn't involve books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 262 (262 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) I know the title is shocking, but I'm a bit bored and chatty. Hubby is off playing video games w/ his work buddy, and I'm home all along. =( So I've been doing non-writing stuff and it got me wondering what you all like to do that doesn't involve writing or reading.

Right now, I'm knitting a hat w/ a loom. I've known how to knit since I was about 7 and it relaxes me immensely. Which might be part of the reason I don't want to write today. I'm on my 4th hat and not in the mood to stress over editing or starting my next WIP.

message 2: by Scylar (new)

Scylar Tyberius (scy_ty) Patricia wrote: "I know the title is shocking, but I'm a bit bored and chatty. Hubby is off playing video games w/ his work buddy, and I'm home all along. =( So I've been doing non-writing stuff and it got me wonde..."

Knit one for me, please.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Sure, how about a pink,fuzzy and sparkly hat? ;)

message 4: by Scylar (new)

Scylar Tyberius (scy_ty) I take 2 months off in the summer to camp, hike, swim the Sierra Nevada in CA. Does that count?

message 5: by Scylar (new)

Scylar Tyberius (scy_ty) Patricia wrote: "Sure, how about a pink,fuzzy and sparkly hat? ;)"

Sounds like a cozy one. I'll take it.

message 6: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Shopping. Mostly for that elusive window. Umm play scribble or words with friends. But blast now I think about it, all I really do is read.o_O

message 7: by Scylar (new)

Scylar Tyberius (scy_ty) Byron wrote: "Shopping. Mostly for that elusive window. Umm play scribble or words with friends. But blast now I think about it, all I really do is read.o_O"

Hey, B. I miss you. Would you take me shopping if I come down there. I don't really like shopping, but I would enjoy the walk.

message 8: by Rach. (new)

Rach. S | 1728 comments I don't like shopping either, but I'll come if you buy me lunch...

or a plane ticket...

:D

message 9: by Rach. (new)

Rach. S | 1728 comments Seriously though. I like walking along the river with my bestie and our dogs :P

message 10: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments I like to draw/paint and try to teach my dog new tricks. Some gardening, although my thumb is more brown than green and my yard is too shady for much success. (I never met a tree I was willing to cut down.) And I'm taking ice-skating lessons with my daughter.

And Scy, that sounds amazing - two months outside to play? Except not in Minnesota unless you want to become an involuntary blood donor for our flying insect-vampires.

message 11: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments @ rach & scy -I promise to take you both out to lunch. . . And rach you can even lunch beside the yarra river :-)

when i had my dog she was my favourite way to relax. . :'( when she went, i started reading much much more.

message 12: by Rach. (last edited Oct 29, 2011 12:19AM) (new)

Rach. S | 1728 comments Byron wrote: "@ rach & scy -I promise to take you both out to lunch. . . And rach you can even lunch beside the yarra river :-)

when i had my dog she was my favourite way to relax. . :'( when she went, i sta..."

Yep. Didn't want to go for a run Friday arvo but Koda wanted to go...so we went. As per usual I ended up enjoying the run. Well, I stumble and SHE runs. Runs after ducks, runs up and down banks, leaps in the river...We get home - I'm knackered - and she wants to run after her ball!!! Oh to have that kind of energy :P

ps. I'm going to hold you to that lunch date jbtw 8D

message 13: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments That's fine Rach. . . But I expect the same when I lump into NZ :-P

message 14: by Andra (new)

Andra (andora) | 43 comments I also like crafts. But I prefer crocheting.I know how to knit, but don't know how to do it in the round and when you mess something up it's harder to fix then in crochet. I also bake cakes/cookies or draw.

message 15: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Andra your my new best friend. . Baking hmmmm

message 16: by Andra (new)

Andra (andora) | 43 comments hehe too bad you're so far apart. I love bringing home made sweets to my friends.

message 17: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments It's a small world!! Hehe

message 18: by Andra (new)

Andra (andora) | 43 comments if you say so :P

message 19: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments No, there is a whole song about it. Seriously!!! Hehehe

message 20: by Andra (new)

Andra (andora) | 43 comments LOL Byron, you're so funny!

message 21: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments I sing and play guitar--compose music--hmmm that probably falls under writing somehow but I play and sing for at leas an hour a day--here is my overly cute t=story--hubby sits and listens--says it is his favorite part of the day--sigh!!

I also cross stitch--have made christmas stockings for my whole family and am currently making 2 for my dear friend and his partner as gifts for Christmas.

I do bake--but only cookies--seiously my daughter does all the birthday cakes in this house. So Andra, Byron and I will be over for cake and coffee. Byron put your pants on I'll be there in a few.

Sclar, I now officially hate you cause you get to do that summer thingy--ok, ok, so the rest of the time you're stuck in that damn truck but still--I think I might harbor resentment for a while=:)

Kaje--seriously draw/paint--is there anything you can't do--I might have to harbor resentment for you for a while as well. If only you weren't quickly becoming one of my favorite authors!

By the by--it's snowing here--yep--a freak storm for the Washington DC area --coming down like gangbusters---they are calling for 5 inches!

Ok, I've wreaked enough havoc--time to go find coffee.

message 22: by Kaje (last edited Oct 29, 2011 07:06AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Sammy2006 wrote: "Kaje--seriously draw/paint--is there anything you can't do--I might have to harbor resentment for you for a while as well. ..."

I can't ice skate - well, not very well. Seriously, I have a weekly lesson today and my kid who started with less skills is way ahead of me after 4 lessons. And today we have testing and I'm supposed to be able to glide on one foot backward. I'm so scared of falling on my aging hips that I manage about two seconds before I need both feet back on the ice. At least I'm giving my kid all kinds of confidence and ego-boosting. So go me :)

And guitar - I always wanted to do that. I play piano but that's not a very portable skill and I can't sing and concentrate on playing at the same time. The bit with your husband isn't overly cute - it's frickin' sweet and I love it (Watching someone paint does not have the same appeal.)

message 23: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments It's sleet now--alot of ice pellets now--oh well Matt--at least we both have someone to snuggle up with --yay!!

Kaje--ice skating--ugh--I would live in fear--you are brave dear woman brave!!

message 24: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Wow, I love the fact that here in Minnesota we're warmer and sunnier than you are (gloat, gloat - doesn't happen often so I have to take advantage.)

Got to carve those pumpkins today - with my artsy-crafty kids, it's always quite a production. No basic faces allowed. (One year we had a pumpkin with the Amnesty International candle-wrapped-in-barbed-wire symbol on it.)

message 25: by Andra (new)

Andra (andora) | 43 comments Oh, go ahead and brag all of you about having a nice love life. I'm so jealous! I watch movies with my Mom :( Not that I'm complaining. She's the coolest Mom ever!
God, I love snow! Can't wait for it fall here as well.

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Andra wrote: "I also like crafts. But I prefer crocheting.I know how to knit, but don't know how to do it in the round and when you mess something up it's harder to fix then in crochet. I also bake cakes/cookies..."

I love baking it. In fact, it was my job for a while. Nothing like getting paid to make cookies. ^^

Hey! No snow talk. I'm not ready for it and hubby said there was snow yesterday morning. =P

message 27: by Andra (new)

Andra (andora) | 43 comments Wow! That really is a nice job!

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Yeah, and then hubby graduated college and got a job that moved us across the state. =(

message 29: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Patricia--I would like to sen you my address--you can bake for me=:) Okay--I'm joking but honestly ladies--I am now starving thinking about the two of you baking!!

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Sammy2006 wrote: "Patricia--I would like to sen you my address--you can bake for me=:) Okay--I'm joking but honestly ladies--I am now starving thinking about the two of you baking!!"

It's a good thing I don't have many pictures of what I used to bake. ;)

message 31: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Go write something you bad bad baking fiend!!!

message 32: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments My daughter is an amazing baker; she used to make something once or twice a week, but when she had to drop gymnastics (and her 20 hours a week at the gym) she quit making sweets. I miss them even thought my waistline doesn't.

message 33: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Sammy2006 wrote: "Go write something you bad bad baking fiend!!!"

Sorry, was making a black and orange hat and now have pieces of yarn fuzzies all over from making the pompoms.

message 34: by Kitty (new)

Kitty (kittyorell) Whenever I bake, I make a mess. I always end up covered in flower or cake batter or something. I don't even know what I'm doing wrong! My sister thinks it's funny

@Meagan: That is such a cool hobby!!!

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Kit wrote: "Whenever I bake, I make a mess. I always end up covered in flower or cake batter or something. I don't even know what I'm doing wrong! My sister thinks it's funny

@Meagan: That is such a cool hobb..."

Eh, I make a huge mess when baking too. That means you're doing it right.

message 36: by Rach. (new)

Rach. S | 1728 comments Byron wrote: "That's fine Rach. . . But I expect the same when I lump into NZ :-P"

Totally :)

message 37: by Kitty (new)

Kitty (kittyorell) Patricia wrote: "Kit wrote: "Whenever I bake, I make a mess. I always end up covered in flower or cake batter or something. I don't even know what I'm doing wrong! My sister thinks it's funny

@Meagan: That is such..."

Yay! That's good to know. The stuff usually tastes good too, which is another indication

message 38: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Yay Kit!

message 39: by Kat (new)

Kat (cutestsubever) I love to bake, I would kill for some apple crumble right now :(

message 40: by Kitty (new)

Kitty (kittyorell) Kit . . . . Kat . . . . This makes me happy

message 41: by Kat (new)

Kat (cutestsubever) Kit wrote: "Kit . . . . Kat . . . . This makes me happy"

LOL Kit...Kat :) Makes me happy, too :)

message 42: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Kit wrote: "Kit . . . . Kat . . . . This makes me happy"

LOL, I see I'm not the only one that noticed that. Does anyone else get the kit kat theme song stuck in their head too?

message 43: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments I've made a point of not having a TV for the last 18 years (just video) so I'm totally jingle-deprived. I can do the Oscar Myer Weiner one from the 1960's though.

message 44: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) I'm pretty sure the kit kat jingle has been around forever, but here, let me refresh you. Gimme a break, gimme a break, break me off a piece of that kit kat bar!

message 45: by Kaje (last edited Oct 29, 2011 03:38PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Nope, no bells. Must be less than 20 years old. (wow, I'm dating myself aren't I?)

Got back from skating. Bruised my wrist but I did some good backwards crossovers so I'm psyched. (If you are a hockey player or something you can just not tell me how lame that is.) I'm working on something called a Mohawk turn where you go from forward on one foot to backward on the other. My feet have just as hard a time doing it as I have describing it. It may kill me yet, but for a life-long non-athlete I love the fact that I'm getting better at this.

message 46: by Kitty (new)

Kitty (kittyorell) Kaje wrote: "I've made a point of not having a TV for the last 18 years (just video) so I'm totally jingle-deprived. I can do the Oscar Myer Weiner one from the 1960's though."

You haven't had a TV in 18 years? Seriously?

message 47: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Kit wrote: "You haven't had a TV in 18 years? Seriously? ..."

Nope. When the oldest kid was born, we put it away. I hated electronic babysitters - knew a kid whose third word was "McDonal's." And I'm such a time-waster anyway, I felt like I had to remove temptation. Books are worse, but I'd die before I give up my books.

message 48: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Heheh I've noticed Kit & Kat posting in tandem a few times and makes me want to comment. But I didn't know if it was an aussie thing or not. .

Kaje I admire your efforts. Ice skating scares the begezus out of me. Something to do with missing fingers, steel blades and male anatomy!

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) I think I could live without a TV. Hubby and I have one, a 40inch high def, no TV service, just Netflix. The only thing I like to watch anyways is Criminal Minds and I own all seasons on DVD (except the latest, that's gonna be a Christmas present)

message 50: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Books are NOT time wasters.. No matter the genre, every book opens your mind to something new. I too sorta live without a tv. I download stuff to watch, but then try to fit it inbetween books.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6