Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Threads, misc. > Do you get to read at work?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments It's rare that I can ever read at work. When I do, is usually the organizations monthly newsletter, minutes from some meeting, or some upate policy- all boring stuff. I see that some of my coworkers bring books or magazines to work, and have no problem reading them if we get some rare downtime. I'm always afraid I'll get in trouble or something. Or, that I'll be the one to be so engrossed in a book that I'll ruin for everyone else, LOL! Do you get to ever read while at work?

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments I read during my morning and afternoon breaks and during my lunch. And on the bus ride on the way home. I would read on the way to work in the morning but it's too dark to read on the bus that early. LOL!

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Debbie wrote: "I read during my morning and afternoon breaks and during my lunch. And on the bus ride on the way home. I would read on the way to work in the morning but it's too dark to read on the bus that earl..."

I'm starting to think that if I don't start reading during my lunch, that my TBR will just continue to grow, and grow. I can probably get a lot of reading done in 30 minutes, huh?

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I drive to work now, but I used to catch a bus and the metro (subway). I tried to read, but someone was always making a comment on what I was reading (like when I reading Guilty Pleasures by LKH!), or asking me about it. I didn't want to be rude, so I always ended up talking more than reading.

message 5: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I read on my breaks at work. It's a small clinic though, and I need to find a sign to hang around my neck saying "please do not disturb"

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "I read on my breaks at work. It's a small clinic though, and I need to find a sign to hang around my neck saying "please do not disturb""

LOL! I'm planning on bringing my Nook to work tomorrow. If I get the time, I'll read a little bit.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I don't know why I feel so guilty even over the thought of reading at work during my lunch break. Geesh! What's wrong with me?! I don't mind when others read, that's how I get good book rec's. I carry a phone, so I'm ALWAYS available if someone needs anything. The only time we close the door to the teeny tiny shared office is when someone is eating.

message 8: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 752 comments I read a lot at work. I work for my mother. We make fence parts. We go through periods of super busy and then barely any work at all. If all my work is done, I can read or go online. As long as I answer the phone and handly anything that comes up. My mother and I are the only 2 women there. So it's just us 2 sharing a bathroom. She keeps magazines in there and I keep a book. (an old beat up one).

On Fridays I'm usually there by myself. And because most of our customers know this and that we don't ship on Fridays-I usually don't get many calls. So I pretty much read all day Friday once I dust/vacuum the office and catch up on any shredding or filing I couldn't do during the week. I can listen to an audiobook on my IPOD while I do those things.

I feel guilty sometimes. Mom keeps saying she's going to train me to do more of her work but then she forgets or it gets busy or she want to take time off. She works a lot from home on her laptop.

message 9: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Yes, I read at work. I teach a preK class so I read during their naptime. Of course, I do their daily reports and sometimes work on lesson plans during that time as well, and that always comes first before I can read. In fact, our director will come in and sometimes ask about what I'm reading LOL

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I read during my breaks and lunch while I am eating. We have a break room but I prefer to read at my desk(less interuptions). Sometimes I do get so into my book that I run over on my lunch but that's ok seeing how I have to clock in and out anyways. If I know that a certain book is going to be too hard to put down I won't bring it to work.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments I manage too sometimes.

✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Debbie wrote: "I read during my morning and afternoon breaks and during my lunch. And on the bus ride on the way home. I would read on the way to work in the morning but it's too dark to read on th..."

message 12: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 752 comments Michelle-you could use a book light.

message 13: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 14 comments not officially unless I get time at lunch

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm a college lecturer so I get to read between classes.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) I only get to read during my lunch break and even then it is rare.

I teach 6th graders, I rarely even get to sit down, LOL.

message 16: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments When I worked at the bar/restaurant, if I was on day-shift I used to read all the time because I'd have maybe 10 customers all day long, sometimes even less, so I had plenty of time. But the days where I was on nights I'd rarely have time because we'd be busier. I'm hoping my next job is something to do with books so I can be happy :D

message 17: by NYC (new)

NYC (gingerbreadlove) | 1 comments I work in the public library, but I don't get to read except on my twice daily commutes.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) Lily wrote: "I work in the public library, but I don't get to read except on my twice daily commutes."

I would love to work in the public library, even if I didn't get to read. At least then you could make a list of all the different books your library has that you want to read. Do you get to put books on hold for yourself?

message 19: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Laura wrote: "I only get to read during my lunch break and even then it is rare.

I teach 6th graders, I rarely even get to sit down, LOL."

I taught preK, so I read during naptime LOL

message 20: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Lily wrote: "I work in the public library, but I don't get to read except on my twice daily commutes."

I'd love to work in a library as well. I've been considering getting my master's in library science.

message 21: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Laura wrote: "I only get to read during my lunch break and even then it is rare.

I teach 6th graders, I rarely even get to sit down, LOL."

I taught preK, so I read during naptime LOL"

And I taught fourth grade. No reading during the day for me except for lesson related stuff. I saved all my reading for the evening after papers had been marked. One of the best things about retirement is that I can read pretty much whenever and wherever I want.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) My summers and evenings are spent reading. I read as much as I can during the school year and I try not to bring papers to grade home with me, but it is difficult not to. I developed a grading system towards the end of the year this last year that cut down a lot on the amount of work that I bring home.

message 23: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "I'd love to work in a library as well. I've been considering getting my master's in library science. "

I've been considering going to school for that too. It's between that and an English major, I can't quite decide yet.

message 24: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Go for it, Kit! My bacelor's is in elementary education. And I am jobless with no prospects. I just printed off an application for the school system where I went to school at in Louisiana. One of my best friends from high school just got a job as a principal and my uncle was going to talk to the school board president ( they're good friends and he taught me history in high school). It would mean moving, but at this point, I'm ready to go.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) Its tough for teachers everywhere now with the budget cuts. I am very fortunate to have kept my job last year when they let go of some teachers in my district.

message 26: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments That's great, I admire people who can be teachers, I'd never be able to do it. Everyone was wanting to push me in that direction when I told 'em I was wanting to be an English major, but there's just no way I could do it. I want to work with books in some form, publishing, shelving, writing, reading, stacking, packing in boxes, I don't care as long as I can work with books lol :D

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) Kit★ wrote: "That's great, I admire people who can be teachers, I'd never be able to do it. Everyone was wanting to push me in that direction when I told 'em I was wanting to be an English major, but there's ju..."

I would love to be a professional book cover designer. I don't know why, but I would love to do it.

message 28: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Oh, imagine going into a shop and seeing something you designed there! What a buzz that would be!

message 29: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Secretly, I'd love to own a book store. And preferably, just romance books. They could be new or used and I would want to read every book that came through my doors :)

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) Hmm, that would be nice too Susan. I would be reading all the time though instead of working.

message 31: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Yea my dream for years has been to own a new/used book store, I once wrote up a whole business plan in my economics class back in school including the trade values and basic prices lol. I'd have a fire place and comfy chairs and free wi-fi and coffee and pastries/etc from a local place and there'd be a reading group or two and community events with authors... Maybe one of these days it'll happen. Hopefully ebooks won't take over the world before then so I can actually own a real book store lol.

message 32: by Lina (last edited Jul 25, 2012 04:38PM) (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Oh Kit, SNAP!!! I've dreamed that same dream, complete with a kids area to instill a love of reading from early on, and morning activities a couple of times a week for kids, a room for book club meetings in the evenings and a handsome barista for me to ogle and bring in some customers ... ok, just for me to ogle really :-p

The things is, I've actually converted almost exclusively to ebooks, and yet I still see a need for bookstores.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) CaroB wrote: "Oh Kit, SNAP!!! I've dreamed that same dream, complete with a kids area to instill a love of reading from early on, and morning activities a couple of times a week for kids, a room for book club me..."

I agree CaroB, I think even though I read a lot of ebooks nowadays, there is still a big need for bookstores. I will still buy hardcopies of my favorite books.

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 27, 2012 07:00AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, I'm slowly getting more and more e-Books, just because of ease of purchasing. However, with the crazy reconstruction going on in my house, I just want to go and escape to a bookstore! My sanctuary.

message 35: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I have fond memories of going to the used book store we used to have. It wasn't nice like our dream one here lol, it was dusty and unorganized and small and jumbled and poorly lit, but me and my old friend used to go like every weekend on mad hunts for new romances back in those freshly minted days when romances were new to me. It closed like maybe 8 years ago, it's a miniatures and scrapbook shop now and looks like the business owner keeps it nice and clean, though I haven't ever been in to it.

message 36: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) I can't read at work. First I'm kind of newbie even I'd work for 9 month. Then I'm easily distracted when reading. Sometimes when the boss want me to write reports. I can read after I go home, but its kinda hard too because my BF is there and well, I can't left him right? I don't want him to complain why I love my books more than him, lol!

That's why I just manage to read only 50 books so far :(

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Hey, totally understandable, Ren.

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) I feel your pain. I am not that far ahead of you. I feel like I have very limited reading time.

I won't make my challenge this year :(

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 07, 2012 07:17AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Aww, Laura! I feel your pain, too! With this re-model, I'm officially ten books behind; I was six ahead b/f it started. **sigh** I'm hoping it ends soon, so I can catch up. Alas, it is just a snow-ball effect! And I still can't get my plumbing fixed! I want that spinning little black arrow on my water meter that indicates there is a leak somewhere on the property to STOP!

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) Lisa Kay wrote: "Aww, Laura! I feel your pain, too! With this re-model, I'm officially ten books behind; I was six ahead b/f it started. **sigh** I'm hoping it ends soon, so I can catch up. Alas, it is just a ..."

Awww! Sorry Lisa Kay! Sounds like this remodel is taking a long time. I thought I would have time to catch up this summer, but I have been extremely busy and now with school starting back up, I realize that my goal might have been a bit ambitious. I guess there is always next year.

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments That's true! I'm hoping I can catch up after the remodel. But, as someone pointed out, then the holidays start!

message 42: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) Lisa Kay wrote: "Hey, totally understandable, Ren."

I'm so jealous with everyone who can read at work :). Even I can read while working, sometimes I used to chat and discuss at Goodreads. Like now, lol!

message 43: by Katie (new)

Katie Morgan | 3 comments It would be so nice to read at work! Unfortunately, I'm too busy to ever take a break and read. All my reading is done on the weekends. :)

message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments yes , I do most of my readings at work. I usually get to work at 7am .I have to turn on the equipment and wait for them to warm up which takes about 2 hours and then start doing what I do and wait for the process to finish .In these waiting times if I don't have anything else to do and we aren't busy I read.
and sometimes like today I stuff up all the materials we have and I officially can't get any work done until I get more material!

message 45: by Lashonda (new)

Lashonda Mcwilliams | 1 comments luckly i do. some shift are 15 hour reading makes them bearable

message 46: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments What on earth do you do, Lashonda, that you work 15 hour shifts?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.