Horror Aficionados discussion

For those who like horror in history

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (last edited Oct 28, 2011 04:08PM) (new)

Greg | 1652 comments Some history or archaeology links with a horror theme (from Medievalists.net), for anybody who's interested:

Dracula: From historical voievod to fictional vampire prince

How the Byzantines dealt with Werewolves

Medieval Irish had their own ways to stop the undead

message 2: by Melki (new)

Melki | 52 comments The question of just how the Byzantines dealt with Werewolves HAS been keeping me up nights.
Thanks for the links, Greg.

message 3: by Melki (new)

Melki | 52 comments Wow! The Irish were way ahead of their time by realizing it would be hard for the newly reanimated dead to eat the flesh (and braaaains) of the living with big old rocks jammed in their mouths.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1652 comments Melki wrote: "The question of just how the Byzantines dealt with Werewolves HAS been keeping me up nights.
Thanks for the links, Greg."

Yeah, I've been having that problem too! ;) And you're welcome!

Melki wrote: "Wow! The Irish were way ahead of their time by realizing it would be hard for the newly reanimated dead to eat the flesh (and braaaains) of the living with big old rocks jammed in their mouths."

The undead were nearly wiped out in Ireland until they were finally allowed to walk, stumble or flap about on the feast of Samhain! ;)

message 5: by Melki (new)

Melki | 52 comments So, it wasn't the potato famine that did 'em in?

message 6: by Greg (last edited Oct 29, 2011 01:00PM) (new)

Greg | 1652 comments No! The potato famine nearly did the living in - there was a surge of undead activity at that time... or so I've been told...

message 7: by RB (new)

RB (rblindberg) Greg wrote: "Some history or archaeology links with a horror theme (from Medievalists.net), for anybody who's interested:

Dracula: From historical voievod to fictional vampire prince

How the Byzantines de..."

LOL thanks :)

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments My book, The Macabre Masterpiece: Poems of Horror and Gore, has some notations of history both fiction and non fiction. I find that getting little bits of history in writing make it seem more profound and educated. If anyone is interested in my book by all means check it out.

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1652 comments Do you use footnotes then to give the poems a scholarly appearance?