Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Disambiguating an author - Dermot Power

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg | 99 comments There seems to be three authors with the name Dermot Power - one who is an illustrator of graphic novels, one an Irish local historian, and the other a Catholic priest. I know the local historian and would like to disambiguate him from the other two.

From what I understand, in order to disambiguate two different authors, one way to do this is to add an extra space between the first name and the surname of one of the authors for each of the books that s/he has written. Is this correct?

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Yes, that's correct.

The easiest way to do this is to go to the current profile, click "edit data" to edit the author's data and then on the bottom of the right column there is a "disambiguate" link.

So long as the author you're editing is the FIRST author (which unfortunately doesn't look like it will be a huge help in this case, but for future reference) you can easily choose which books to move to a new author name - so long as the name doesn't already exist.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg | 99 comments Thanks Vicky! :)

I've used the extra spacing to create the separate author page for the local historian, here: Dermot Power. I guess I should do the same (with two extra spaces) for the priest too.

Should I add a librarian note about the disambiguation?

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 99 comments Actually, the priest is likely to be the same author as Dermot A. Power whose single listed work is also theological. There's no Wikipedia entry on this theologian to confirm his identity so I won't make any changes just yet.