YA LGBT Books discussion

The Question Corner > YA GLBT ebooks for Kindle and Nook

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments I haven't read anything by Julie Anne Peters, but I have seen her mentioned in SO many other places. I would suggest checking into her other titles.

message 2: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Lombard (jslombard) Personally, I loved Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger. It's the story of a girl who realizes she's a boy and decides to change her name. I thought it was well written, and the ideas that came across were well done and easily understandable. I always recommend this book to teens looking for something good. Her comparison of Gender (using a football field)is spot on.

message 3: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Parrotfish <-- Quick link

Thanks for the heads up on that one Jordan...

message 4: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Lombard (jslombard) You're welcome.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments I'm gonna have to look for Parrotfish, that looks interesting. I don't know how I've never heard of it!
You can get my book, Morning Rising, on the kindle and nook as ebooks, if saying that doesn't sound too self-serving.

message 6: by Kaje (last edited Feb 10, 2012 08:13AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments Rebecca wrote: "Ralph wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "The French Girl, by Felicia Donovan is a must read for all. It's about a young girl who is raised by narrow-minded people, who suddenly becomes orphaned and is sent to..."

We appreciate any suggestions of good books - the phrase "must read for all" sounds like a blurb, though, which is what Ralph is commenting on. Your comment on your own rating of the book is more personal - we'd love to hear what touched you as a lesbian specifically about the story. We are always looking for good GLBT YA stories, especially with lesbian characters.

If you want to modify a post, you can do "edit" and add a reply or any other changes, so there's no need to repeat the posting. Hope that helps. (We get a certain number of authors pushing their books here, so people are perhaps a bit sensitive.)

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Ramsey (Jo_Ramsey) | 1017 comments Thanks, Kaje.

message 8: by Sammy Goode (last edited Feb 10, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Friends. I have deleted this conversation and pm'd Rebecca. I have done so out of respect to the rest of the group. If you want to discuss this please pm me. Thank you.

message 9: by Kitty (new)

Kitty (kittyorell) Private Message. Instead of posting on the thread so everyone can see

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo Ramsey (Jo_Ramsey) | 1017 comments Thank you, Sammy.

message 11: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 12, 2012 03:53AM) (new)

Rebecca Shore Yes indeed. Thank you Sammy.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Shore Sammy2006 wrote: "Friends. I have deleted this conversation and pm'd Rebecca. I have done so out of respect to the rest of the group. If you want to discuss this please pm me. Thank you."

Sammy, In fairness to me an other newcomers to this siteplease delete Kaje's response as it implies I did something wrong which I did not. As well as Jo's bandwagaon response, "Thank you Sammy". This group is not my cup of tea. Egos abound here.... Thanks

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Shore Kit wrote: "Private Message. Instead of posting on the thread so everyone can see"

Thank you Kit.

message 14: by Sammy Goode (last edited Feb 12, 2012 12:04PM) (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Rebecca wrote: Sammy, In fairness to me an other newcomers to this siteplease delete Kaje's response as it implies I did something wrong which I did not. As well as Jo's bandwagaon response, "Thank you Sammy". This group is not my cup of tea. Egos abound here.... Thanks

Rebecca,

I chose to leave Kaje's comment because, in my opinion, it clarified the basic idea behind the creation of this particular discussion thread. I saw nothing wrong with Jo's subsequent thank you.

I am sorry that you have chosen not to give this group another chance at welcoming you. However, your dissatisfaction with this thread does not allow you the right to post derogatory comments about the group as a whole.

Therefore, I am allowing this discussion to stand as is. I wish you all the best as you pursue other discussion groups.

Again, anyone who would like to discuss this further please feel free to pm me privately. I welcome any opinions, positive or negative!

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Shore Sammy, I'm sorry you feel this way. As the moderatoe, you should be neutral and see both sides. I apologied for implying that the attack was cult like.....but I was unpreapared for such an attack. My issues was the accusations from Ralph, Kaje, and Lo. I have no issues with the group as a whole. I was making a suggestion to a young reader and within a minute was attacted by Ralph and a bandwagon of his friends. I gave you a second chance, so no thanks. Don't need the drama. Good reading to all....

message 16: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments Rebecca wrote: "Sammy, I'm sorry you feel this way. As the moderatoe, you should be neutral and see both sides. I apologied for implying that the attack was cult like.....but I was unpreapared for such an attack...."

We're sorry to lose you too. Sammy is fairminded but she's also pretty protective of all of us - she's the Mom of our online family. I'm sorry you felt we were attacking you - that was certainly far from my intention - and I do hope you find a congenial group somewhere else to share your love of books with.

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo Ramsey (Jo_Ramsey) | 1017 comments My "thank you" was just intended as a thanks to Sammy for letting us know what was going on and why posts had disappeared... I'm sorry Rebecca found that offensive.

Rebecca, if you've chosen not to continue here, I wish you the best in finding a group more to your liking.

message 18: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments View From The Closet Doorway is available for free on amazon today.... I haven't read it but the blurb looked interesting..

This award winning first novel is about a teenager's involuntary "coming out." Sullivan is reluctant to reveal his feelings, not wanting to risk losing his best friend, Kate, by openly admitting his gay inclinations. Things begin to go wrong when Kate announces that she is in love with the same guy that Sullivan has secretly had a crush on for three years. Additionally, his father becomes increasingly distant, missing several of their scheduled visits and leaving him stranded with his scathingly hostile sister and oblivious mother. His main venue of escape is to hang out at Kate's house, playing piano with her father's "oldies" rock band and subsisting on mountains of pizza. To further complicate his life, he discovers his father is canceling their scheduled visits because of a new woman. When one of the men in the band makes a pass at him, Sullivan takes the first steps in coming to terms with who he is and what really matters to him.

message 19: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments That does sound intriguing - hope someone whose TBR is shorter than mine posts a review.

message 20: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 122 comments I may be cynical, but I have a tendency to call BS when authors feel the need to include phrases like "award winning first novel" for their self-published book. Especially when they don't say what awards its won.

message 21: by K (last edited Feb 17, 2012 02:17AM) (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Ralph wrote: "I may be cynical, but I have a tendency to call BS when authors feel the need to include phrases like "award winning first novel" for their self-published book. Especially when they don't say what ..."

Well, as I am not quite as cynical and tend to give people the benefit of the doubt so I actually spent a couple of minutes looking on line and quite easily found that the book won the best Young Adult book in 2008 in the South West Writers Association annual awards.... admittedly I know nothing of the awards or association, nor do I know the writer, or have read the book. The link was simply posted as the blurb looked interesting and topical for the group (oh and it was free - which always helps).

I am sure that most self published new authors know little about promoting their own work and if they have won any sort of award for it then they are probably quite pround of the achievement and would want to state this.

Perhaps better than just calling the book or the author anything, reading the book and providing a review would be more helpful.

message 22: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 122 comments K wrote: "Ralph wrote: "I may be cynical, but I have a tendency to call BS when authors feel the need to include phrases like "award winning first novel" for their self-published book. Especially when they d..."

I grabbed a copy of it when it was free and I'll review once I have a chance to read it. I was just saying, in my experience, when the first thing in a blurb is that it's award winning, the book usually isn't the greatest. Not trying to be mean to the author or anything, but that's been my experience.

message 23: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments Thanks for doing the research, K. There are too few good LGBT YA books available in this format - I hope this one turns out to be good.

Publishers seem to like to put "Award-winning" in their posts about any book that they can; I'm sure that makes it look like a good idea to a self-pubbed author. (And who knows, maybe the lay reader really is more likely to look at a book which has that phrase in the blurb.)

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark Roeder (MarkARoeder) | 8 comments I just joined this group. I"m Mark A. Roeder, the author of the Gay Youth Chronicles. All of my books are available on Kindle and most on nook. If you don't mind reading a pdf version, you can get a free copy of "Someone Is Watching" on my website, markroeder.com. Just click on the book cover and there is a link.

I'm not just here to promote my books. I'm always glad to answer questions and I read a lot of YA LGBT books myself. I'm currently reading "Strings Attached" by Nick Nolan. I love the Rainbow Boys series and...well, a lot of others.

message 25: by Kaje (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:58AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments Hey, Mark - have you introduced yourself here yet? I look forward to having you in the group, and I'm happy about every YA book that is available to our readers.

Feel free to also make yourself a thread here in Self-Promotion.

message 26: by Mark (new)

Mark Roeder (MarkARoeder) | 8 comments Yes, I introduced myself when I joined. Thanks!

message 27: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 72 comments Hello everyone. I am John Marvin Enore. I have written three poetry collections. they are all sad erotic gay poetry. If you're interested with my books, please send me a message and i can give you a sampler. The tiles are CYPHILIA, ARGELLIUS REX and L'AMOUR DE MOI. They are all available as ebooks. I'll be waiting.

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber Lehman (amber_lehman73) | 14 comments Hi Mark-what a treat to see you here! I have been a fan of your work for many years. Your books were some of the very first that I read when I began exploring the LGBT community. I have always loved m/m fiction and I have fond memories of reading your stories. I still have the original print versions of your books on my bookshelves from many years back. Seeing you here actually reminded me that I need to revisit my "classics" shelf where I keep my influential LGBT collection- including your books. Even though our styles and stories are quite different, you were actually one of the first authors who inspired me to write in this genre. So thank you for sharing your stories and for taking the brave initiative to write about what I spent my time day-dreaming about. May sound silly coming from a girl, but it's the truth. Glad to have you here!

Amber :)

message 29: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 72 comments Kaje wrote: "Hey, Mark - have you introduced yourself here yet? I look forward to having you in the group, and I'm happy about every YA book that is available to our readers.

Feel free to also make yourself a..."

Oh my gos Mark Roeder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you although I've only read one book. Then I lost it. Then I could not find it anymore!!!!!!! Can I offer my services as the illustrator for an upcoming book of yours? I will do it for free since I really loved your work. I hope I could buy more of your books here in the philippines which is virtually non=-existent. i tried everywhere to no avail. my only otpion left os to buy from amazon but i have to save a lot of money for the international shippine huhu... guess i just need to be more active in going to book sales. =P

message 30: by Mark (new)

Mark Roeder (MarkARoeder) | 8 comments Amber wrote: "Hi Mark-what a treat to see you here! I have been a fan of your work for many years. Your books were some of the very first that I read when I began exploring the LGBT community. I have always lov..."

Thanks Amber, I've written several novels since those "early days." I think I have 28 novels out now, although I'm always losing track. I'm please that you are writing your own now. I'm sure you don't need me to encourage you to keep it up. Writing is addictive.

message 31: by Mark (new)

Mark Roeder (MarkARoeder) | 8 comments Hey John,

I'm not surprised my books are difficult to find in the Philippines. I don't think I can suggest a better source than Amazon.com, although any bookseller should be able to order them. You can likely get a local bookstore to order for you. Kindle is a great option, but I don't think it's available in the Philippines. I"m glad you love the book you read, whichever it was :)

message 32: by Mark (new)

Mark Roeder (MarkARoeder) | 8 comments John,

I totally forgot to write about your offer to illustrate. I was trying to do too much at once last night. What kind of illustrations do you create? I've always admired artists.

message 33: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments John wrote: "here check my latest work - they are all homoerotic =

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s......"

John please remember this is a YA site and anything you post needs to be YA friendly--we have YOUNG adults on this thread--some as young as 14 and we need to guard what we spot and what we say. Thank you so much!

message 34: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 72 comments sorry i deleted it now.

message 35: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments John wrote: "sorry i deleted it now."

Thanks John - there are enough of us adults around we sometimes forget too. I appreciate you helping us out since that's one of our prime directives.

message 36: by Mark (new)

Mark Roeder (MarkARoeder) | 8 comments If you do end up making me a cover of course I'll send you a copy of the book :)

message 37: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 72 comments thank you so much! can i see how you look like my friend?

message 38: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (bwilliamsreading) | 17 comments Some of my absolute favorite LGBT YA novels are available on the Kindle:
The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd
Screwed Up Life of Charlie The Second by Drew Ferguson
Sprout by Dale Peck
Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
The Year of Ice by Brian Malloy

And I should probably also mention that my own LGBT YA book is available for the Kindle.
Teenage Rewrite by Brandon Williams

message 39: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments Boy Meets Boy is our book of the month. And thanks for listing yours.