Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

General Books Discussion > Finding Great New Books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by POW (new)

POW | 39 comments The best books can change your life, and you remember them for years afterwards. But how did you find that book in the first place?

Was it through a friend, a site like Goodreads or Facebook, or just trawling through a bookshops and libraries?

message 2: by Whitney :) (new)

Whitney :) (wvn1998) | 1808 comments I usually get book recommendations from my friends @ school, sometimes from friends here on gr and sometimes from the librarian even.

message 3: by SilverForrest (new)

SilverForrest | 183 comments Looking through the recomendations of libraries.

message 4: by Mia Claire (new)

Mia Claire | 142 comments Picking books from the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die is helpful. Almost all the best books are there. Sometimes I ask my friends to lend me some random book that they liked.

message 5: by Mayze (new)

Mayze There is an amazing librarian at my school who has the exact same taste in books as I do, so I usually ask him.

message 6: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Anna- Man! Your new school sounds like an amazing place!

Well, to start off, I'll read just about anything. And before I got a GR, I just got recommendations from friends. Now I go to my library and look at random books on the shelves, look up recommended books (normally on my MASSIVE to-read list), and take recommendations. So nothing has really changed aside from the fact that i now have more books to look for and the library.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Recommendations from parents, friends, reading more books by authors I liked, randomly browsing the library/bookfair/bookstore, looking at lists, librarian recommendations, teacher recommendations, and more recently, Goodreads.

message 8: by Briana LS (last edited Nov 01, 2011 03:26PM) (new)

Briana LS (brianals) | 15202 comments Mod
I usually just look at the new section in the library to see if any of the books look interesting. Or I get/find some recommendation from a friend or on some website. Or I watch a movie that I like that's based on a book, and so I read the book to see if it's as good as the movie or how much is changed. Or I look at other books that an author I like has written.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber | 15 comments My sister bugs me until I read the books she likes. I hated ereaders, but she got me to read her Kindle and then I wanted one. She kept bugging me until I read this new author K. C. Blake and now I'm her biggest fan. My sister isn't always right though. Sometimes I hate the books she tells me to read, but most of the time she's right. Don't tell her I said that.

message 10: by cy (new)

cy my friends and i always give each other books we like, not one book one of hasn't liked so far!, and then gush about them, I find a lot on goodreads and when i return books at the library, the librarian reccomends me ones like them

message 11: by A.S. (new)

A.S. Hendra (AHendrad) | 5 comments My library doesn't have that many fiction books (or it's just me who can't find them?), so I usually check the bookstore whenever I want something to read. If I see something that seems interesting, I go back home and order it through Kindle. It's kinda cheaper that way.

message 12: by Malia (new)

Malia | 4 comments Before I got on to Goodreads, I would look through the bookstore. I admit that the cover is a big reason for my picking up a book and it is still the same even on Goodreads...I like recommendations of any kind, whether from friends, family, librarians, or lists. If I find the story interesting from the start then I either borrow, rent, or buy.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I ask my school librarian and english teacher for recommendations.

message 14: by cy (last edited Mar 27, 2012 03:17AM) (new)

cy Mia wrote: "Before I got on to Goodreads, I would look through the bookstore. I admit that the cover is a big reason for my picking up a book and it is still the same even on Goodreads...I like recommendations..."

I will look through a book store for ages! even when I think I know what book I am going to buy!

message 15: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Welsh (katrinawelsh_) Before I knew about Goodreads, I basically just look through titles in the library. I used to go look at the NY best seller's list and read those, but only the ones that have been on there for more than 5 weeks. I used to look up books that have won awards, Printz, Newberry, etc, and read those. Teenreads had an 'ultimate reading list' and i used to read the ones on that, as well. Now I just read books based on people's recommendations and reviews here on GR.

message 16: by Sapir (new)

Sapir | 11 comments The books my friends like are mostly the books I like. For example:
I got to know about The Hunger Games before I started to search for books on the Internet. I saw this book in the library, but the cover, and even the name, didn't make me want to read it. One of my friends actually FORCED me to do so, and i'm still thanking her...