Active GoodReaders discussion

All Things Literary > Help me find a book...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nat (new)

Nat (themrsnatg) I started reading an e-book on Stanza (on the iPhone) which I deleted before I discovered that Kindle charges for some books Stanza has for free.

I was reading a book (whose title I've now forgotten) which was about a family staying with their uncles (who was a mad scientist type).

He invented a ring (I think it was a ring) that could turn living things to stone, he tried it out on his dog and then on undesirable members of his family.

Where I left off he'd just met a leprechaun (or similar creature of fable) and gone drinking in a field.

Anyone any ideas? I'd love to finish reading it!

message 2: by Dierdra (new)

Dierdra McGill (dierdramcgill) | 112 comments Mod
I have no idea what book that is but it really sounds interesting! =) Have you tired Google?

message 3: by The Pirate Ghost (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:02PM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Lets see, went drinking in a feild and saw the little people... (Like that's never happened before? Could you narrow it down?)

Could it be the classic...

Darby O'Gill & the Good People

message 4: by Nat (new)

Nat (themrsnatg) I have tried Google about a dozen times...

The beginning of the book started with the mad-scientists (uncle) family coming to live with him as they'd lost all their money there was grandad, mum and dad and two kids a boy and a girl. They all got turned to stone as they were obnoxious except the niece.

Thanks for your suggestion Hugh - it wasn't that one (although sounds interesting).

I could never decide the age of the book (forgot to check) it sometimes seemed very modern and sometimes seemed 1920s.

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Dietz had a book out like that once. I'll see if I can figure it out.

And put Darby O'Gill on the ol' TBR. (it does sound cool. Good Disney movie to go with that.)

message 6: by Dierdra (new)

Were you ever able to find the name of the book you were looking for?

message 7: by Nat (new)

Nat (themrsnatg) Not yet... haven't given up yet though!

message 8: by Dierdra (new)

I was asking because I found a group that may be able to help you, http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 9: by Nat (new)

Nat (themrsnatg) Looks promising - thanks!

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard Fry | 1 comments I'm working on a site - helpmefindabookplease.com to help people find any book imaginable. It is a work in progress but please check it out, I can use the testing :D. Right now it's useful only if you know the title of the book but in the near future It'll allow for advanced keyword searches to find books you cannot remember the name of.

message 11: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 51 comments Good idea, Richard.