Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > Please help name my characters!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brooklyn (last edited Nov 03, 2011 06:18PM) (new)

Brooklyn (thebridge) | 47 comments This is a medieval fantasy story, so the names need to match accordingly. :)

Character Number One is a girl of about 15. She lived in the forest until she was 7, then she was recruited by the army of a nearby kingdom. Now she is one of the best in the army, skilled with most weapons but especially knives. She is a serious person who was raised to obey orders and carry out tasks efficiently. Her secret desire is to be wanted, if not loved.
She has light brown hair about to her shoulder blades that is always done in a braid. Her eyes are bright green. She is fairly thin and average height. She is not beautiful, but most would call her pretty.
Right now I am calling her Syara.

Character Number Two grew up as niece to the king (a different king than the one #1 serves), but has never liked the lessons and properness that comes with her title. She is about 14, loves horseback riding, even though she has only done it a couple of times, and she is a bit of a scaredy cat, especially with heights. Her secret desire is to be needed, and yes, this is different than being wanted. :)
She has long, black hair, often done in elegant buns. Her eyes are a stormy blue. She is fairly small and delicate in build.
Right now I am calling her Talaia (said Ta-lay-uh).

Character Number Three was put in the army as soon as he was old enough, and is now one of the best in the army at about 14 or 15 years old. (He is in the same kingdom as #2). He is mostly serious, but he enjoys a practical joke now and then. His prefered weapon is a sword. He is also easily charmed by women :). His secret desire is still in the making, but it will probably be to find love.
He has short, dirty blonde hair, messily cut. His eyes are a piercing dark gray. He is average height and strong in build.
Right now he is Conor.

Thanks for your help!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments For medieval names you only have to read Excalibur for ideas!

Guinevere, Elspeth, Elvira, Morganna, Marian to name but a few...

Arthur, Richard, Mordred, Alan, William, John....

You could try the baby naming books or on line Generators they will give youthe meaning of the names too!

message 3: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (thebridge) | 47 comments Thanks!

Anastacia *gaining love* Asbury huuummm the first one.....usually sounds like me or you or alex's......okay scratch alex's out of that, characters... so maybe like
for 1: Aveline, Cecilia, Primeverie, Sabina, Rothaide, Rosamund, That one from above Morganna ^

Number 2: Ada, Anabel, Clarice, Dionisia, Helen, Beatrice, Avelina, Elizabeth,

The guy XD: Adam, Henry, Gilbert, James, Peter, Alexander, Jordon, Guy (no seriously the site I'm getting these names from suggested that!!), Lawrence, Norman, Richard, Walter, William.....here i'll just put up the site XD

http://www.themiddleages.net/people/n...

message 5: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (thebridge) | 47 comments Thanks! I really like Aveline and Dionisia. :)

Anastacia *gaining love* Asbury no problem ^^

Anastacia *gaining love* Asbury haha you should name the guy guy XD
dude i'm not kiding though!!! the site offered that name!!!!! XD

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Anastacia ~TAISMO 4EVER~ wrote: "haha you should name the guy guy XD
dude i'm not kiding though!!! the site offered that name!!!!! XD"

Guy is a medieval name, it's
French in origin pronounced ghee.

I need help to name an Afghan puppy for my new book - the owner is a society debutante called Arabella blonde in more ways than one - Afghans are blonde and very highly strung and remember she will be shouting this puppy in the park.

message 9: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (thebridge) | 47 comments Maybe you could translate a name that tells the dog's personality into an Afghan language. :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Brooklyn *Never stop dreaming, hoping, believing* wrote: "Maybe you could translate a name that tells the dog's personality into an Afghan language. :)"

I was looking for a silly name that only a woman would risk shouting in the park and a man would feel totally stupid shouting! Plus I don't speak Kurdish!

message 11: by Irene (last edited Nov 06, 2011 08:51AM) (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments ^Buttercup? Sweetpea? Honeybunches? (No kidding, my best friend has a dog named honeybunches) Baby?

message 12: by Irene (last edited Nov 06, 2011 08:51AM) (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments @Sarah R:
Here, I used a name generator and got these. There are alot so I just put some of them:
Wooglemoopsie
Moofieface
Wooglepoof
Wuggysmoosh
Poochieschmoopie
Moopiegoo
Kissiewunny
Wunnyhoney
Pookiedumpling
Wuggydumplings
Snuggysnookiedarling
Smoochfoof
Poofsnooglefoof
Wookumschnookie
Snooglecuddlypie
Poochieboo
Loverdarling
Smooshwoogle
Schnookiesnookum
Snookiehead
Woogysnookummush
Poofkins
Schmoopiewuddlepooh
Cutiesmooshpoo
Doodlemush
Sweetiepie
Snookumboo
Smoochiesmooch
Wookumlips
Smooshsnoogy
Woogypie
Moopiegooble
Snuggycakes
Poofiedoodlecakes
Smooshkins
Moofiedumplings
Honeyface
Snooglecuddle
Poofdumpling
Moofiepums
Lovercuddlyfoof
Moopsiehead
Wooglewoogylove
Nookumboo
Babylips
Smooshcuddle
Wunnybunch
Moopsiesmooch
Snoogydumplings
Sweetiepums
Snookumwoogy
Schnookiecake
Wookumsmoosh
Babybunny
Moogliewuddle
Poofiepook
Sweetiebunch
Poofiewuddlegoo
Foofiepook
Schnooglesnuggy
Smooshwoogy
Moofienookum
Wuggywuddlecake
Poochiefoofiepooh
Loveyboo
Cuddlyfoofie
Poofbunkerpums
Snooglecake
Poochieboo
Smoochiecuddlypums
Smooshmoopie
Poofdoodlepoo
Poofcute
Poochieschnookumcakes
Snoogledarling
Smoochiekin
Poofmoofie
Pookieface
Kissiepook
Pookiebunch

Hope this helps, if it doesn't maybe it will make you laugh :)

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments I found a very specific name generator that creates names for anything from humans to seprants.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Nov 06, 2011 09:14AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Irene wrote: "@Sarah R:
Here, I used a name generator and got these. There are alot so I just put some of them:
Wooglemoopsie
Moofieface
Wooglepoof
Wuggysmoosh
Poochieschmoopie
Moopiegoo
Kissiewunny
Wunny..."

lol it made me cringe and then I read you used a name generator and that made me laugh! To quote John McEnroe you can't be serious!

Your human suggestions were better, Lady Buttercup Smythe Honeybunch, honeychild, poohsicle, This blonde is daft enough to go to the Registrars and try and register her dogs birth!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Irene wrote: "I found a very specific name generator that creates names for anything from humans to seprants."

Go to my photos in a few minutes and I will have a picture of my doggie up!

message 16: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Cool :)

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Sarah R wrote: "Irene wrote: "I found a very specific name generator that creates names for anything from humans to seprants."

Go to my photos in a few minutes and I will have a picture of my doggie up!"

Awe! It's adorable :) boy or girl?

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Irene wrote: "Sarah R wrote: "Irene wrote: "I found a very specific name generator that creates names for anything from humans to seprants."

Go to my photos in a few minutes and I will have a picture of my dogg..."

Girl we have a few entries Blondelle Samara Bubbles sassycassie khrystaline

Anastacia *gaining love* Asbury bookland........I'm in a sad mood.............I REALLY WANT TO HUG TAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 20: by !ĘŁÏŻÅ¡ (new)

!ĘŁÏŻÅ¡ | 100 comments …I'll hug tails with you!

Anastacia *gaining love* Asbury ^^ hehe OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

message 22: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Sarah R wrote: "Irene wrote: "Sarah R wrote: "Irene wrote: "I found a very specific name generator that creates names for anything from humans to seprants."

Go to my photos in a few minutes and I will have a pict..."

I like Samara

message 23: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (thebridge) | 47 comments Sarah R wrote: "Brooklyn *Never stop dreaming, hoping, believing* wrote: "Maybe you could translate a name that tells the dog's personality into an Afghan language. :)"

I was looking for a silly name that only a ..."

You don't need to speak Kurdish. You just go to google and type in "hyper in kurdish" or "shy in kurdish" or whatever. :)
P.S. I like Honeybunches!! :P

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Brooklyn *Never stop dreaming, hoping, believing* wrote: "Sarah R wrote: "Brooklyn *Never stop dreaming, hoping, believing* wrote: "Maybe you could translate a name that tells the dog's personality into an Afghan language. :)"

I was looking for a silly..."
so do I I have a computer problem at the moment my fast machine has died on me and I am reduced to using chugaboom and it is so slow doing anything takes forever and I have my dropbox account but I can't remember where I put the password! Blondie strikes again one for the book that! I am now going to email my son and beg him to give me my passwords I know he will have them somewhere written down!

message 25: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (thebridge) | 47 comments :)

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Lexi wrote: "Here is a random and very plain name you could use, Fluffy. Now before you judge me, can you see a guy saying this?"

No in all honesty I don't think a man would feel comfortable with calling a dog fluffy! That's why I called her Fluffy Bubbles! Her kennel name is Schezerazade Blondine but Arabella's flatmates Sammi and Erika call her Piddles - she appears to have an incontinence problem, and pees in their shoes!

message 27: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 233 comments sarah are you writting a book?

message 28: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Sarah R wrote: "Lexi wrote: "Here is a random and very plain name you could use, Fluffy. Now before you judge me, can you see a guy saying this?"

No in all honesty I don't think a man would feel comfortable with ..."

My boyfriend's mom used to have a dog named fluffy and I could not help but laugh when he would call the dogs in for the night.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Rishika wrote: "sarah are you writting a book?"

Yes, my third novel to be precise, Take Three Blondes is its title. It's a comedy romance featuring three blondes, Society Blonde Arabella and her Afghan Fluffy Bubbles have a dilemma they need to generate an income and fast. Phase one is to find two like minded girls to share her luxurious flat, bought for her by daddy! Phase two is to find herself a job! Phase three find herself a man to keep her in the manner daddy has let her become accustomed!

message 30: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 233 comments Oh wow, so when will you put up on goodreads?

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Rishika wrote: "Oh wow, so when will you put up on goodreads?"

I will put few taster chapters up when I am finished, which unless I get my finger out and do some writing will be sometime never!

There are a few taster chapters of my first novel currently in the publication process a comedy romance entitled The Thin Blue Line, a tale of life, love and unplanned events!

The second is a murder mystery it has two titles Light the Seventh Candle and the Menorah Murders, I will let the publishers guide me it is with a small English publisher for appraisal. It has some explicit scenes and unless you are 18 it is OOB sorry!

message 32: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 233 comments I am 23 years so dont worry, well please put up your stories would like to read more of yours,. Are you going to publish your books?

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Rishika wrote: "I am 23 years so dont worry, well please put up your stories would like to read more of yours,. Are you going to publish your books?"

Yes the first book is in the pipeline should be out in the next couple of months and the second well I am crossing my fingers that it will be accepted for publishing, I should hear soon, I hope. There are a couple of poems and the first five or six chapters of the two books, the second is a rough draft. sinceposting it on my writing I have edited it several times before sending it to Pegasus.

message 34: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 233 comments oh ok... thats nice, hope to see your new stories on googleread would love to read how i see you the next chapters when are you going to put more chapters on that?