http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Elizabeth > Chapter books (choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Libby (last edited Nov 09, 2011 07:57PM) (new)

Libby | 20 comments The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

This is an innocent story about four sisters and their summer. The part I loved about this story is the character development. Each sister has their own distict personality which makes their interactions with each other seem more real and sincere. In the beginning of this story the girls and their father head to what they think is a cabin but turns out to be a cabin on a large estate where there is a lot of trouble to get into.

This book would be good for a read-aloud or a literature circle from 4th to 6th grade.

message 2: by Libby (new)

Libby | 20 comments A Wrinkle in Time

This story is for those students who love science fiction - and those who don't. I never read science fiction growing up until I read this. This is a book I couldn't put down and read over and over again. About a girl named Meg whose father is a scientist, little brother is a genius and twin brothers are trouble makers. Her father has been gone for a very long time and her mother never really says anything about it except that he will come back one day. She ends up meeting these three 'witches' (Mrs. Who, Mrs. Which and Mrs. Whatsit) who turn out to be creatures of another planet. They want her to come with them and save her father. I won't ruin the story for you, just read it! I would recommend this for grades 4-6 either for a read-aloud, individual student or a literature circle. There is so much to discuss in this book. Although it is an older story, written in 1962, it won the Newberry Medal and continues to be my favorite book of all time.