readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > books for a reader with down syndrome

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (last edited Oct 27, 2011 04:58PM) (new)

Patricia | 10 comments Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some books for a 30-year-old woman with down syndrome. The one book she absolutely loves is the teen book Diamond
from Victoria Christopher Murray's Diva series. She is really into fashion design, weddings, church/choir, and also likes books about family. She lost her mother when she was 10 and identifies with characters who are dealing with the loss of someone special to them (think more on the uplifting side though).

So far I've recommended two books at opposite ends of the spectrum: Walk Two Moons (which I love) and The Allegra Biscotti Collection (which I haven't read, but fits the fashion designer interest).

I am looking for fast-paced YA or J books related to any of the above topics that are fun, easy to read, and don't have sex or cursing. Do any of you have suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
no YA comes to mind, but there are a bunch of books by Michele Andrea Bowen that deal with church and family and romance, but they are "church" romances, so nothing explicit. i don't think the writing style is very complex, so they should be okay.can you give me a better understanding of the reading level?

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments I don't know about walk 2 moons I don't think it's really along the lines you asked for.

My little sister likes the clique novels a lot. I don't think they are "great literature" but they are there. and her mom is seriously catholic so they can't be too dirty.

message 4: by Dree (new)

Dree How about the Anne of Green Gables series? Not fashion design, but family, certainly. And no sex or cursing!

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 10 comments karen wrote: "no YA comes to mind, but there are a bunch of books by Michele Andrea Bowen that deal with church and family and romance, but they are "church" romances, so nothing explicit. i don't..."

Thanks--I will definitely run those by her. I'm not really sure of her reading level--the woman who brings her into the library doesn't know either so right now it's just kind of trial and error.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 10 comments Dree wrote: "How about the Anne of Green Gables series? Not fashion design, but family, certainly. And no sex or cursing!"

Great idea! I will definitely put that on the list.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 10 comments Jasmine wrote: "I don't know about walk 2 moons I don't think it's really along the lines you asked for.

My little sister likes the clique novels a lot. I don't think they are "great literature" but they are the..."

Yeah, Walk Two Moons is kind of a stab in the dark, but it is a warm and humorously-told story about family, love, and loss. I figure it's worth a try (and it takes place in KY, which is where we are).

Have you read any of the Clique series? I haven't, but they look like they might be kind of mean-spirited, which is not what I'm hoping for. Although I think she enjoyed the soap opera-y aspects of it as well, it sounded like the gospel singing competition was what really sucked her in to Diamond's story (plus she is a "nice" girl with a supportive family and church).

message 8: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments no, I haven't and I don't know anything about them except the fact my step mother lets my 11 year old sister read them so they can't be that bad because she is stupidly strict.

I don't like the kinds of books this girl does so I haven't read any

message 9: by karen, future RA queen (new)

so i managed to find this one: Sing Me to Sleep, which is a YA book about singing and self-acceptance and love. most of the goodreads.com reviews are talking about how sad and beautiful it is. and wow - lots of spoilers - people - use the spoiler hider! so it seems as though there is loss, but it also seems to be ultimately uplifting, if i am understanding the spoilers correctly.

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 10 comments karen wrote: "so i managed to find this one: Sing Me to Sleep, which is a YA book about singing and self-acceptance and love. most of the goodreads.com reviews are talking about how sad and beauti..."

That sounds PERFECT! We don't have it at our library, but I will track it down through ILL. Thanks a lot!

message 11: by karen, future RA queen (new)

did this one work out? do you need more suggestions?

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 10 comments Thanks for checking back in, Karen (and sorry I just noticed your message). I'm not sure how she did with any of them yet, but she's got a list now and is trying out Michele Andrea Bowen. I think she goes through reading phases and she may be out of one right now. We'll see...

message 13: by karen, future RA queen (new)

cool!