Comfort Reads discussion

Chit Chat - TV & Movies > Once Upon A Time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brenda (last edited Oct 27, 2011 02:23PM) (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Just curious if any one saw the first episode for Once Upon A Time on ABC last week? If you did what are your thoughts?

message 2: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (leekat) | 3959 comments Mod
Brenda, I meant to watch that. Thanks for reminding me, I'll check it out on the web and let you know what I think. Did you enjoy it?

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments I did enjoy it more than I thought I would. Interesting concept with some fun characters.

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 492 comments I watched it and thought it was pretty good. I'll probably keep watching. Hopefully ABC will give it a chance. Grimm also premiers tomorrow. I'll check that out too.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Grimm seems like it is going to be way spookier but I will give it a looksie.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments I just couldn't get into the other night, but I'm willing to give it another chance, as I wasn't particularly feeling well anyway.

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie Downing (connie1965) | 29 comments I really liked Once Upon A Time. I haven't tired Grimm yet but I agree with Brenda looks a lot spookier :)

message 8: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I'm going to give both a look-see. The trailers caught my interest.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments Oh, I watched Grimm and really liked it. I think I'll be staying with it. Great atmosphere!

message 10: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I watched Once Upon a Time last night and enjoyed it. I'll watch the next one to see how it develops. The little boy was adorable.

I'll check out Grimm tonight!

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie Downing (connie1965) | 29 comments I watched Grimm and loved it! I was surprised at how good it was and how they mixed spooky with a little bit of humor. Now two next shows I'll have to watch, Grimm and Once Upon A Time!

message 12: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 492 comments I just watched Grimm on my DVR and enjoyed it. Gorgeous setting, atmospheric, and enjoyed the banter between the characters.

Once is on tonight :)

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments Mona wrote: "I just watched Grimm on my DVR and enjoyed it. Gorgeous setting, atmospheric, and enjoyed the banter between the characters.

Once is on tonight :)"

Mona, I agree with you. The show created just the right atmosphere, really drew me in.

message 14: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 492 comments I want to move to Oregon now :)

message 15: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Connie wrote: "I watched Grimm and loved it! I was surprised at how good it was and how they mixed spooky with a little bit of humor. Now two next shows I'll have to watch, Grimm and Once Upon A Time!"

I will defiantly be watching Once Upon a Time, I did watch Grimm and as I thought it was alot darker. Not that that is bad necessarily. I'm curious as to which one will last longer.

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Mona wrote: "I just watched Grimm on my DVR and enjoyed it. Gorgeous setting, atmospheric, and enjoyed the banter between the characters.

Once is on tonight :)"

The banter was quite funny and the setting was very nice. The supernatural feel mixed with Grimm fairy tales will be interesting to follow. The postman was disturbing too.

message 17: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 492 comments I hope both programs stick around. Hubby liked Emma in Once... I am half-way thru the 2nd episode.

I enjoyed the wolf's personality in Grimm. I also loved that line that Grimm said to his partner, "I didn't know you couldn't sing." :)

Yeah, the postman gave me the creeps. I'm not sure how postal workers will react to how they are being depicted.

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie Downing (connie1965) | 29 comments Try watching it on the internet, you should be able to get it there

message 19: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 112 comments I've been watching both Once Upon a Time and Grimm. I'm enjoying both in different ways.

Once Upon A Time elicits feelings of hope and whimsy within me. I find myself wanting read the television series as a series of books. I mean, I know the characters and their "stories" are pulled from various fairytales and I could read each of those individual stories, but I want to actually read the overall "story" they're stringing together in Once Upon a Time. I don't want to wait each week to find out what happens. :o)

Grimm, for me, is more of an urban paranormal storyline. I'm curious to learn more about the various creatures and find out what happens with the characters, but I don't feel as invested in it yet. The plot each week also seems to be a bit predictable. Don't get me wrong...I'm enjoying it, but it doesn't elicit the same emotional response within me that I feel for Once Upon a Time.

It will be interesting to see where each of the shows go throughout their first seasons and whether or not they'll be rewarded with a second. If they continue in the fashion they have thus far, I'd agree to watch a second season of each. :o)

message 20: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Is anyone still watching this show? I caught up a bit last night through On Demand, and I like where it's going - it's picked up a little steam. (I do still wish the dialogue in the fairy tale sequences wasn't quite so modern-slangy, but I get why it is.)

Also, with the same basic concept but completely different, is Grimm, which is also not bad at all really. Krista, you nailed the differences between the two shows. I laughed out loud when I heard a character in the Three-Little-Pigs/"Three Bad Wolves" episode name-drop Adam Hauptmann - that's a major werewolf character in Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series. Also, one werewolf was named Hap, which is what they call werewolves in Sanctuary. I just wonder how many geek references I missed ...!

message 21: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 112 comments I'm still watching and loving Once Upon a Time. I am two or there episodes behind on Grimm, but hope to get caught up this weekend.

message 22: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I'm still watching but am a couple of episodes behind. And I still mean to catch Grimm on the web, I just got sidetracked with a bunch of library DVD's.

message 23: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) I don't know what I'd do without On Demand. I don't even know when some shows are on - I just forget about them and then binge one weekend with back-to-back(-to-back) episodes.

message 24: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I tend to do the same but I rely on the web. I never get to watch anything live. :-)

message 25: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 112 comments Tracey - I am so with you on the OnDemand. I'm not sure how I managed before it. I suppose, I spent less time watching TV and more time doing other things (like yucky housework)!

What I particularly like about it is the ability to skip the commercials or nonsense parts of shows and stick with the parts I enjoy. I also like having the ability to start a show late in the evening, make it part-way through, decide I'm too tired to finish, hit record, and watch the rest the next day (or even a week later).

message 26: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) What the newest episode? I love that they did Beauty and the Beast with a definite nod to the original. Of course Rumplestilskin being the beast was different, but I love the twist at the end!

OH! And I knew those two both still remembered! Hubs doubted me, but I could see it in their faces!

message 27: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 23, 2012 11:58AM) (new)

Manybooks I don't have a TV and I generally do not miss it, but I hope that Once Upon a Time comes out on DVD sooner rather than later (and Grimm as well).

message 28: by Tim (new)

Tim | 127 comments Gundula, CTV has been streaming Once Upon a Time (and possibly Grimm). Unfortunately, they only keep a few episodes back so you wouldn't be able to watch the early episodes. Once the digital transition happened, my TV couldn't pick up any channels, so streaming is how I've watched a number of shows on CBC, CTV, and Global.

message 29: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Tim wrote: "Gundula, CTV has been streaming Once Upon a Time (and possibly Grimm). Unfortunately, they only keep a few episodes back so you wouldn't be able to watch the early episodes. Once the digital transi..."

Thanks for that information, Tim. I guess you don't have cable or satellite TV then. Where I live, I would need satellite TV, but the Bell technicians have said that I would have to get a whole bunch of my trees chopped down in order to have good reception (and I am not willing to consider that at present).

message 30: by Tim (new)

Tim | 127 comments No, I refuse to pay the prices for cable/satellite. With digital, now that I have a converter box, I get one channel, CTV. It comes in really well. I've picked up a new antenna from Monoprice so I'm hoping I'll get another few channels (I need to set it up). You might get a few channels with just a decent antenna. The thing with digital is that if it comes in, the quality is excellent.

I've subscribed to Netflix which at $8/month is a lot cheaper than cable. But, like I said, most of the popular shows are streaming from the network web site.

message 31: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Tim wrote: "No, I refuse to pay the prices for cable/satellite. With digital, now that I have a converter box, I get one channel, CTV. It comes in really well. I've picked up a new antenna from Monoprice so I'..."

For me it was also a bit about the outrageous prices and that I would not get that many channels I liked and wanted to watch anyhow (but the trees were and are a big issue). Now, if satellite TV were able to get some German and other European channels (not just Deutsche Welle and BBC, but actual local channels from Germany, Britain and France etc.), I might reconsider but even then, it would actually have to be channels like ZDF, ARD, RTL etc.

message 32: by Tim (new)

Tim | 127 comments I've just found out about "Unblock Us" which allows you to pretend that your computer is in a different country so you can stream video from the stations' web sites. It supports some US and UK sites, but I don't know if it supports Germany and France. It think it's about $5/month, but there's a trial period so one can see if it will work for them.

I regularly listen to audio streams of the English versions of RNW (Radio Netherlands) and Radio Sweden. I occasionally listen to Deutsche Welle. I miss CBC Radio Overnight which would broadcast from these stations in the early hours of the morning (from 1-5 a.m.).

message 33: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Two weeks before another Once Upon a Time...but glad they took on 22 episodes instead of 16!

message 34: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Tim wrote: "I've just found out about "Unblock Us" which allows you to pretend that your computer is in a different country so you can stream video from the stations' web sites. It supports some US and UK site..."

Ooh! I wonder if that would allow me to buy a British audiobook I really really want... Thanks!

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) My absolute all time show. I can't wait for tonights show.

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) The return episode on Sunday I thought was amazing and my favorite so far. I am so in lve with Mr Gold and that story line. I never miss it.

message 37: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 174 comments Just saw the season finale for this show and I was totally blown away! I loved the way that each story in this show is wrapped up in a famous fairy tale and is used in a crime detective style that gives the viewers clues about who the characters really are. I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the second season since the last episode of the first season sure looks intense.

message 38: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Ronyell wrote: "Just saw the season finale for this show and I was totally blown away! I loved the way that each story in this show is wrapped up in a famous fairy tale and is used in a crime detective style that ..."
Wasn't that great? I just love this show. It's going to be hard to beat last season. I wonder new characters they will bring in. I hope they bring Pinnochio back as the man. He was GORGEOUS! I also love Gold/Rumpelstiltskin character.

message 39: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) It was so good! I should have known the freaky, freaky minds that came up with Lost would have amazing plans for season 2 - I can't wait.

message 40: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 174 comments Becky wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Just saw the season finale for this show and I was totally blown away! I loved the way that each story in this show is wrapped up in a famous fairy tale and is used in a crime detec..."

Yeah! I'm really interested in Rumpelstiltskin and Pinocchio too and I hope they have a bigger role in the next season!

message 41: by Becky (last edited Oct 26, 2012 02:31PM) (new)

Becky (ebab) Have you watched the new season? Have you seen Captain Hook? OMG!! He has amazing handsome. I like the new "persona" of Mr. Gold. He is such an amazingly character.

message 42: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Becky wrote: "Have you watched the new season? Have you seen Captain Hook? OMG!! He has amazing handsome. I like the new "persona" of Mr. Gold. He is such an amazingly character."

Mr. Gold is my favorite too, very versatile character.

message 43: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 174 comments Becky wrote: "Have you watched the new season? Have you seen Captain Hook? OMG!! He has amazing handsome. I like the new "persona" of Mr. Gold. He is such an amazingly character."

I loved the Captain Hook episode!! Mr. Gold is Rumpelstiltskin right?

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Ronyell wrote: "Becky wrote: "Have you watched the new season? Have you seen Captain Hook? OMG!! He has amazing handsome. I like the new "persona" of Mr. Gold. He is such an amazingly character."

I loved the Capt..."

Yes,he is. He is an amazing actor to play those two roles so great. Is Mr Gold softening up now that he has Belle? Should be interesting.

message 45: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 174 comments Becky wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Becky wrote: "Have you watched the new season? Have you seen Captain Hook? OMG!! He has amazing handsome. I like the new "persona" of Mr. Gold. He is such an amazingly character."

..."

I definitely wold like to see where Mr. Gold's character would go from here!

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) I am sooooo glad to see August aka: Pinnochio back on the scene. Now I have him and Hook to drool over.

message 47: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Becky wrote: "I am sooooo glad to see August aka: Pinnochio back on the scene. Now I have him and Hook to drool over."

What did you think of the giant? Quite amusing to me.

message 48: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Brenda wrote: "Becky wrote: "I am sooooo glad to see August aka: Pinnochio back on the scene. Now I have him and Hook to drool over."

What did you think of the giant? Quite amusing to me."

I really enjoyed the twist that was different from the fairy tale,and that he wasn't a bad giant after all. Was good to Emma and Hook after he knew he could trust them. I liked it

message 49: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Ahh poor Charming guess he is going to be "out" for awhile. Sorry couldn't resist.

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Ahhhh my beautiful Hook. Who do you think he is going to side with? The story line feels a little too drawn out to me. I do like seeing Mr Gold/Ruppelstiltskin again and wish they would %#$& or get off the pot with story and bring on some new fairy tale characters. Next week is the last one until January.

« previous 1