Timeless (Timeless, #1) Timeless discussion

What do you think happened with Philip?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riah (new) - added it

Riah **spoilers** What do you think happened with Philip? Is the present time Philip a reincarnation or maybe just a descendant? And how did the first Philip know that he would come to her later?

[Coco] Chance!!

message 3: by Riah (new) - added it

Riah Coco wrote: "Chance!!"

Really? Why do you think chance? Especially since past Phil new he would come to her again? :)

message 4: by Zo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zo NOT CHANCE LOVE AND MEMORY LOSS

Jennifer Dupriest ????? I'm wondering about that too...

message 6: by Riah (new) - added it

Riah Jenny wrote: "????? I'm wondering about that too..."

Glad it's not just me.

[Coco] Well you never know....

message 8: by Riah (new) - added it

Riah Coco wrote: "Well you never know...."

True

message 9: by Kaylee~ (new)

Kaylee~ I have no idea, I'm guessing that it's reversed....anyways: GIVE ME THE NEXT BOOK! GRR!!!!

message 10: by Riah (new) - added it

Riah Kaylee (a.k.a.:Kyles!) wrote: "I have no idea, I'm guessing that it's reversed....anyways: GIVE ME THE NEXT BOOK! GRR!!!!"

I totally agree!!

message 11: by Jena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jena I'm guessing that it is Philip who went back in time before he met Michele, then went forward and skipped the whole meeting with Michele. Sooo...that's why he doesn't remember her.

However, I think Alexandra Monir will have a much better sequence of events than that lol

message 12: by Riah (new) - added it

Riah Jena wrote: "I'm guessing that it is Philip who went back in time before he met Michele, then went forward and skipped the whole meeting with Michele. Sooo...that's why he doesn't remember her.

However, I thin..."

That is a great idea!

message 13: by Rieyah Jamil (last edited Nov 11, 2011 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rieyah Jamil i think he's the descendant thou.. will there's no fun, if they keep jumping the time.. pls give me the second books... i hate cliffhanging ending...

Jessica xique It can be a descendant...maybe hopely reincarnation Philip or even better Philip him self..is Too much mystery ugghh..I guess the only thing is to wait....

message 15: by Riah (new) - added it

Riah Jessica wrote: "It can be a descendant...maybe hopely reincarnation Philip or even better Philip him self..is Too much mystery ugghh..I guess the only thing is to wait...."

Please new book come out!

Jessica Garcia Sadly, my guess is that it is Philip's great-grandson or some descendant or another. In the first book, he said he will come back but "not in the way you expect". So maybe using his knowledge of Michele's future in New York he knew that if he stayed in New York and began a family she would one day come across a part of him (Grandson or Great-Grandson). Who Knows? And maybe in some crazy will he requested that his Grandson or Great-Grandson transfer to Berkshire where he would know they would meet...

I have no idea. That is my best guess. However, I would much prefer it be THE ORIGINAL PHILIP!

Kristi I also want it to be the original Philip! I have been writing in my own head how I would accomplish that without being too far fetched. Whatever turns out Lets hope Alexandria minor can make us love any Philip we get.

The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] I think she needs to figure out why her father was also Phillip's father because then, she can figure out why Phillip came back. Also, I believe the mom went back in time and then the father came back some way as well.

Jessica Garcia The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] wrote: "I think she needs to figure out why her father was also Phillip's father because then, she can figure out why Phillip came back. Also, I believe the mom went back in time and then the father came b..."

I dont remember Michele and Philip sharing a father... Did they? I know her father was a time traveler as well but as far as sharing a father i dont think they did...

The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] I believe Phillip's father looked like her father. She walked into him when she was leaving his house.

ʙᴇʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。. I think it is his descendant BUT it is Philip Reincarnated. There´s no rule against you being born again in your family/bloodline.

What a mess.

message 22: by Rhina (new)

Rhina Ascencio I just finished reading Timeless, I really like the concept. But the thing that has me somewhat twisted inside about what happened to Phillip:

The scene where Phillip last sees Michele on the stage; I understand that the passage of time has changed things but I was hoping for a more passionate reunion on his part. According to him, he had waited so long, even if he had moved on (the woman who hugs him) I would have liked to have seen a final goodbye between him and Michele, where he would be torn with emotion in seeing her again but a bittersweet moment. However, even though he says that he has moved on; I was disappointed that Michele adds " I thought you promised you'd come back for me," I felt at this point it was Phillip who was now being the mature adult and he was helping Michele to overcome her heartbreak just as she was there to encourage him to move on to overcome his heartbreak.

But Phillip ruins this when he says "I will, somehow. It just might not be in the way you expect" - is this is way of telling her he still loves her? He doesn't seem to say it genuinely and pretty much he brushes Michele off to the side when his new love shows up. It's evident things have changed the young version of Phillip makes no sense because it's not like the original Phillip is struggling and fighting to find a way to be with her in the future, rather the original Phillip has resigned being with her and moved on.

- So did he really move on?, and if "phillip" is in the present he is essentially breaking his promise because to find a way to be with her would be to break his promise (about moving on) to Michele. He moved on in order to fulfill his promise. Then he contradicts himself when the younger version of himself shows up.

It feels weird to have an older Phillip who has moved on... Michele leaves him feeling finally that the truth was that they just couldn't be together, just when she resigned to a life without Phillip, this younger Phillip shows up.

Don't get me wrong I still love the book.

It reminds me a little of the Japanese anime Fushigi Yugi where the main character the girls falls in love with a boy (Tamahome) that is a character in a book; she is sucked into the world of the book. Despite all the odds against them they fall in love, as a character in the book the boy is not allowed to exist in the real world. But he also promises her that he would find a way to be with her, the end of the series he shows up in the present real world at her school, where he tells her "at long last I found you" in the sequels to the anime his memories of his previous life from the book was also gone, it essentially was a sacrifice in order to come to the real world to give up his memories in order to be reborn into her world.

I think if Phillip has this type of determination to be with her I would find the young Phillip at the end as more satisfying, but him showing up after an older Phillip has pretty much moved on... this was what has me conflicted...hopefully we will get more of the backstory in Timekeeper.

message 23: by Rhina (new)

Rhina Ascencio Another similarity to Japanese anime: Fushigi Yugi and Timeless:

Fushigi Yugi: In the storybook world the couple share bridal rings

Timeless: Phillip gives Michele his ring in the past

Fushigi Yugi: When girl has to return to her real world and the boy has to stay behind the ring stays on her finger in her world.

Timeless: Phillip's rings stays on her finger in her present timeline

Fushigi Yugi: the girl has to give up the ring as the presence of the ring is a connection to storybook world that has to be broken because they cannot be together

Timeless: She loses the ring, was it an accident? or was she meant to lose it because it could not exist with her in the future? or maybe because the ring had to go back to Phillip somehow?

Fushigi Yugi: Boy sacrifices his memories of his past life in order to be reborn. In the girl's real world, a man who looks like the boy with the ring hanging around his neck appears who has lost all memories of his past life.

Timeless: Young Phillip appears with the ring.
possible theories about the ring and phillip

Phillip is a reincarnation
Phillip is a decendent who inherited the family ring

I heard people with theories about Phillip (version prior to meeting Michele) jumped into future - the only thing with this theory Phillip is not able to move through time; he was not able to move through time with the help of Michele; maybe Michele's father (who was a family friend of Walker family) took him into future? - but if it didn't work with Michele it may not work at all?

Just my thougts...

Jessica The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] wrote: "I think she needs to figure out why her father was also Phillip's father because then, she can figure out why Phillip came back. Also, I believe the mom went back in time and then the father came b..."

They don't share the same father, and if they did that would make them half-siblings, which is disgusting. Her father was the lawyer to her family and the Walker family. She runs in to him at the house back in time yes, but he's not Philip's father, nor does it say he looks like Philip's father.

message 25: by Rhina (new)

Rhina Ascencio I believe her father was Phillip's family lawyer.

Maari Im thinking that since Michele is a timetraveler's daughter, she can travel back in time without loosing her memory. Philip though is not time traveler blooded so probably because of his great love for her he was able to go to the future but at the price of his memories.

Emily I agree with Rhina. The ring might be the secret device in getting them back together, I hope it's the same Phillip, he was a good character despite the fact the front cover version of him doesn't match how I imagined him to be.

Rashika (is tired) The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] wrote: "I believe Phillip's father looked like her father. She walked into him when she was leaving his house."

No her father was Henry who was Philip's father's lawyer.

message 29: by Rashika (is tired) (last edited Dec 21, 2012 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rashika (is tired) Hmm I am not sure but I believe it's the real Philip, if he were a descendant his last name would have been Warren and not Walker because Philip had been shunned by his family and had to change his name.
I think because Timetravel isn't possible for normal people or something it may have done something to his memory but that's my theory.