To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird discussion

If you like To Kill A Mockingbird - Try LIE

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Caroline Bock If you like To Kill A Mockingbird, try LIE -- just out from St. Martin's Press -- but a present day story about race and teens and a hate crime that makes you think -- 'How could this happen here' -- and 'what would I do?' if it did -- the same questions that came into my head when I read 'Mockingbird.' more at www.carolinebock.com. Booklist just called LIE, "Suspenseful and thought-provoking" in a starred review!!!

MizziQ Cool! Thanks! It looks intresting. :)

Megan Thanks for the recommendation :)

Deborah Thanks. Best thing about Goodreads is the recommendations and opportunities to find something new.

Abbey Dunn ive never heard of it! wuts it about??? I LOVED to kill a mocking bird though

message 6: by Liz (last edited Oct 29, 2011 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz To Kill a Mockingbird ... one of the few books I've read more than once! Will see if it's available via my library system ... author please ;o)

PS On reserve and I see that the author is Caroline Bock (like you said in the first email!).

Mirajul Really hard to understand.

Caroline Bock Hey all -- recommending LIE is me -- the author -- Caroline Bock -- I want to be upfront -- of course I think it's a good book, but you have to judge for yourself.

Ashley It sounds really good, I will have to check it out and add to my to-read list.

message 10: by Ezra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezra To kill a mocking bird is the only book I have read more than once. lie sounds interesting I will have try it.

Abbey Dunn wow tanks i will try it! wuts it about??

Caroline Bock ABBEY --
LIE is about consequences -- of a hate crime, of prejudice, of bullying, even of love, and ultimately, of the decision to tell the truth, or lie. But you read, and you judge. Caroline

David If you like "To Kill A Mocking Bird",you should read Alice Walker's "Meridian."This tells the story from an African American perspective. Of course, everyone is familiar with Alice Walker's pulitzer prize winning novel,"The Color Purple."

Caroline Bock Thank you for recommendation on Alice Walker... the "true" story of the South I always find is Emmet Till's (A Wreath for Emmett Till being powerful telling in long-form poem form) .... but LIE is about current day prejudice.... the "nice" suburban kind... told in 10 different first person voices... but thank you for Walker suggestion!!

David I will have to read LIE. Thanks for that suggestion.

Caroline Bock And I'm going to read Alice Walker!! We can compare!!

Jennifer I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. I will totally look for Lie. Thanks.

Caroline Bock Jennifer wrote: "I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. I will totally look for Lie. Thanks."

I hope you find LIE compelling!!!

message 19: by Opal (new) - rated it 4 stars

Opal Trelore David, thank you for the suggestion! I've never heard of Meridian until today.

David You are welcome, Opal. I hope you enjoy the novel.

BubblesTheMonkey At first, when I read the title of this blog, I thought you meant that you meant it was a lie if someone liked To Kill A Mockingbird, lol.

message 22: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Could anyone but Gregory Peck play Atticus?

David I beg George Clooney could play the role convincingly.

George Hamilton James Stewart would have made a great Atticus. Still trying to picture George Clooney in the role

message 25: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Never thought of James Stewart for that part - you're right, he'd have been very good (but Gregory Peck is still my first choice.)

David Jimmie Stewart would have made an interesting Atticus.

Caroline Bock Hi -- I just read Meridian -- thank you for pointing it out me on this discussion thread-- a totally different kind of story -- though yes, about race too. Meridian is a black woman in 1960s and this is primarily her story, first in the South, then on her college campus and then up North. The images and metaphor are evocative and powerful. The structure of time is fractured (you have to pay a lot of attention). To compare: LIE is about race today, the 21st century, and about the aftermath of a particular hate crime (less of a journey than Meridian), and set in Long Island, a white suburb. LIE is told in 10 distinct first person voices -- it feels more immediate to me. Thank you above commenter for suggesting it to me though -- I was completely enthralled by the language and voice and setting. However, I still urge you to consider LIE -- more at www.carolinebock.com

Caroline Bock Last thought: Read LIE and let me know who you think should play Skylar or Sean!!