Debates of all sorts discussion

Formal Debates > Requests

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cody, Ninja (last edited Oct 26, 2011 05:14PM) (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
Request your debate here,

People taking part:
teams and what side the people in them will take:
Debate Topic:

Structure for the Formal Debate

1. Opening Statements (250 words)
Like an introduction to a formal paper, introduce yourself/team and the topic you will be debating. Tell what you are going to argue during the debate (like a thesis statement) and tell why your position should win.

2. Oral Arguments (500 words)
Like the body of a formal paper, present the evidence that proves your position is correct. This argument should be very factual and persuasive. Opinions not backed by facts could be used to show the weakness of your case, so be careful!

3. Rebuttal Arguments (300 words)
Presentment of counter evidence that shows: false, inaccurate, misrepresented, or weak points in the opposition’s argument. Here you present why the other persons points are wrong or not factual.

4. Cross Examinations (300 words)
As each team finishes its rebuttal, the other team has time to ask questions about the evidence presented in order to prove the invalidity of the argument. Here you will try and point out Logical Fallacies in the opponents arguments

5. Closing Arguments (250 words)
Like the closing paragraph of a formal paper, summarize the key points you presented. Conclude with a persuasive argument that will win the debate for you even if you are losing based on facts!

Here are the websites I'll be sending the mods listing logical fallacies and good debating technique to watch out for, you can study them if you like, it could help you.

http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallaci...
http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-p... (debating techniques are about half way down this page after the propaganda techniques which you should not use. Oh and they're not all good debate techniques either, you'll have to use your judgement to know which are good and which aren't)

message 2: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Uhhhhmmmm.

Maybe this is too formal lol.

(Just kidding! -___-')

message 3: by Cody, Ninja (new)

XD It'll be okay, this is the structure of a debate lol. Don't worry it's not to bad... I was part of a very small debate club in 8th grade, we didn't do much but we followed this format and it's not bad.

message 4: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Ah, okay. Well it's basically like the 500+ other papers I've written only more fun so that's fine :P

I would suggest we start off with a debate to just see how it is, but I think we pretty much agree on everything that's debatable at this point.

message 5: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Lol I plan on scoring first so I can help show the other mods how to do it (and maybe get some input from them to improve the system) And it's a bit different then papers you write because instead of doing it all at once you're doing a paragraph then waiting for a bit getting more info and writing another. It should be easier plus it's a competition and competing is fun lol.

message 6: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS um, I'm definitely not doing that...

message 7: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "um, I'm definitely not doing that..."

But why?

message 8: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Because i'm not at school. I'm not going to type in a formal way. I have other groups, and I'm not going to waste time by formatting my writing.

message 9: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Suit yourself. I don't think typing intelligently is a punishment myself, but to each his own...

message 10: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Yes if you have a problem with sounding intelligent and eloquent suit yourself.

message 11: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Intelligence doesn't have to be formatted, you know?

message 12: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Formatting in the way Cody wants will not take an extra second.

message 13: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Formatting in the way Cody wants will not take an extra second."

It's not the way just Cody wants...since, like, there are us who are agreeing with him, you know.

message 14: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I'm not against them if you don't want them. I'm just telling people that I won't be joining in. Therefore, you probably will have no one to argue with since I'm usually the only one debating my side.

Speaking of which, where's Thalia? :(

message 15: by Cody, Ninja (new)

luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Formatting in the way Cody wants will not take an extra second."

It's not as much the way I want as the way that real formal debates that go on in the real world are formatted. I just replaced minutes with word count.

message 16: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
She doesn't want to do this, no need to push her...gosh.

But no need to have been rude about it either, luhv :P

message 17: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Fair enough.

message 18: by Writersblock55 (new)

Writersblock55 | 6 comments I think that's a great idea Aleph!

message 19: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Yeah, that's good :)

message 20: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis Nina wrote: "Um, where did Luhv go anyway? Do you think we scared he off? Maybe we were a little too harsh...?"

About this - hasn't anyone else noticed that she periodically vanishes for a few days, then comes back and posts on everything? I imagine that'll happen here too.

message 21: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Imagine that, she could have a life or something ;P

message 22: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Well ... that's rather uncalled for. >_<

message 23: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I feel like we need a couple more mods. I mean, all the mods are great, but it might help to move things along a little faster.

message 24: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Seems like a good idea.

message 25: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Now just to wait for a mod to show up. *Twiddles thumbs*
(And this is exactly why we need more of them... haha. XD)

message 26: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I think Cody is...

message 27: by Cody, Ninja (new)

I would put up a formal debate but nobody has filled out the form...

message 28: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Yeah... At the very top of the first comment...

People taking part:
teams and what side the people in them will take:
Debate Topic:

message 29: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Not really go ahead...

message 30: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Yep, I just want to be the judge for the first one so everyone knows how this will work.

message 31: by Cody, Ninja (new)

What you have is fine :)