The Critical Beatdown discussion

Suggestion Box

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here we can list and talk about all of our suggestions as to how the book club should be run.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) I disagree with the new icon.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jane wrote: "I disagree with the new icon. "

harsh

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) I thought the way we run it thus far is pretty awesome... although I'd love to see some faces maybe take some pics and then post them =)!

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) oh and... Jane wrote: "I disagree with the new icon. "
I disagree with your disagreement. lol BAM... although the background is too chartreuse for my particular palette.

message 6: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso Jane likes to disagree all the time.

message 7: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso Hey Dale,
What about this image for the logo. Click here

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) lol!!!! Rule #1 of fight club is you don't talk about fight club!

message 9: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso I think that when you will be talking about the book you also set an online chat on the book at the same time. I think that those who can't make it can at least comment on the book.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 06, 2009 08:38PM) (new)

Alfonso wrote: "I think that when you will be talking about the book you also set an online chat on the book at the same time. I think that those who can't make it can at least comment on the book."

what is this magical online chat you speaketh of? is it on goodreads?

message 11: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso sorry, I mean comment. It gets a little annoying because you have to refresh all the time. It would be great though if it was easier to see all comments quickly.

message 12: by Alethea (last edited Jan 06, 2009 08:55PM) (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments I heart the new icon. (Yes I saw the previous one, not so much disagreed with it but pretty much anyone can say that :/ I like this much better!)

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) I think everyone who has their own book group would disagree with the old icon. =)

Alfonso's talking about live blogging during the meeting. You know, like the one YABC had for Beedle the Bard, etc. It was Alethea's idea.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

how do we want to implement a live blogging? is it something we do before, during or after finishing the book?

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) can't we meet up the old fashioned way?
let's drink tea and crumpets!

message 16: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments I like Andy's idea--let's play Skully! I'll bring the candles.

message 17: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso I know that with some of the other book groups the moderators post comments on the story lines and interesting thoughts about the book that others can comment on. I think that meeting up is fine, but not everyone can always make the meetings.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 12, 2009 10:54AM) (new)

Alethea wrote: "I like Andy's idea--let's play Skully! I'll bring the candles."

there's a lot of stuff i want to try from the book...

flying like a superhero, yoking someone, graffiti bombing, freebasing cocaine.

who's down?

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) ummmm I'll try flying like a superhero =). Let's all go sky diving!

message 20: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments I'll bring the paint.

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) yay to defacing property!!!

message 22: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) Dale is that Clint Eastwood in the new icon pic? If so is he holding a blowdryer? =)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Liz wrote: "Dale is that Clint Eastwood in the new icon pic? If so is he holding a blowdryer? =)"

yes. it's a blow dryer. it's the revlon 5000. it makes everyday your lucky day.

punk.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

february... black history month... black literature for picks?

yes/no.

message 25: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments Wholehearted yes!

message 26: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso yes

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 14, 2009 02:15AM) (new)

yes.
i already have a book picked out for february.

i love the icon!!!

message 28: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) YEs Sir!!! Toni Morrison?

message 29: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) its a gun! and I am not a punk! lol

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) This is strange for our group but how about we each read a different book written by an African American author and then we get together to discuss how each of our novels have contributed to literature in general? Might be too complicated or bizarre but just wanted to put my 2 cents in =).

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 17, 2009 09:50AM) (new)

Liz wrote: "This is strange for our group but how about we each read a different book written by an African American author and then we get together to discuss how each of our novels have contributed to litera..."

i think that's an interesting idea. how would we discuss the books though? i was thinking that for black history we'd select the two top vote getters, and then split the group in half with one half reading one book, and the other half reading the other. this way we don't get too wild with the picks, but we are also able to keep the variety going.

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) excellent! I'm down!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Alfonso wrote: "I think that when you will be talking about the book you also set an online chat on the book at the same time. I think that those who can't make it can at least comment on the book."

does anyone know about setting up a twitter? like can it be a group twitter? cuz i think that would be a good thing to set up if we wanted to set up a live chat, or at least a thread that goes on forever talking about the book we're reading.

setting up twitter: yay/nay

message 34: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) Honestly...
I would probably never sign on to Twitter just because that's something else I have to sign up for. It'll limit the participation on my part (though if many other people are up for it, give it a try). As it is, I'm still getting used to Goodreads. I prefer to keep everything in the same place. Refreshing the screen every now and then doesn't seem to be too big of a hassle.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Jane wrote: "Honestly...
I would probably never sign on to Twitter just because that's something else I have to sign up for. It'll limit the participation on my part (though if many other people are up for it..."

that sounds reasonable. i think we'll open up a single thread for us to participate on while we read it. almost like a live chat, except that you can post whatever you want about the book while you are reading it.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

okay, i just started devil in a blue dress. but i think it's a good time to start thinking about what we are going to read in march.

we haven't read any women writers yet so i think for march we should pick women writers.

yes/no?

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments Yes! I think we should read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath!!! :D

message 38: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments Ok! I already know what I'll suggest, when you post up the topic...

message 39: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) I'm betting he's not holding two hair dryers... lol

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Liz wrote: "I'm betting he's not holding two hair dryers... lol"

no, those are hair curlers. the one on the right, it's a monster.

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 18, 2009 03:19PM) (new)

hey so this is cool. i just found a site called tinychat.com . It's similar to twitter, except that it's a chatroom instead of updates. It looks like a really great way to get a group discussion going. You guys should check it out if you have the time and we can talk about how to implement it into the bookclub.

hopefully we can try to use it for our next book pick. i think it would be a lot of fun. it's really easy to use so we can probably even have online meetings more than once a month. maybe like a casual sunday kind of thing, when most of us are home and have the computer on anyway.

what do you think?

message 42: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments I love that idea. Jane, this might be our solution to the "refresh" problem on our online blogging.

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 18, 2009 08:18PM) (new)

we can test it out sometime soon. what times are most people available available? sunday in the evening is a good day for me.

message 44: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments Yeah, me too. Once a month we have the YABC meeting on a Sunday night, so that would be the only night not good for me.

message 45: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso I close on Sundays and I don't get home until 10pm.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

tuesdays?

message 47: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments I work, but I could bring my laptop and be there during break? Thu and Fri too.

Free Mon nights, and Wed nights until Lost comes on at 9 pm. We don't have DVR anymore :( so I gotta watch it live!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

i have school @ night on mondays and thursdays.

wednesdays i can do, we can do it before 9.

message 49: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso I can do Wednesdays.

message 50: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) I can do Wednesdays too!

« previous 1