Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Why Dumbledore turned gay...? My theory.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lama.a. Theory: Ariana, Dumbledore's sister, was raped by the muggles.

^I know this is being discussed and argued about, but *supposedly*...

Fact: Dumbledore is gay.

^That *is* a fact. I think JKR herself said that...

What I concluded from ^those^: I think Dumbledore might have turned gay because of his sister. Maybe after seeing the pain and distress that Ariana went through, he got afraid of hurting a woman the way the muggles hurt his sister. And eventually, he became gay.

Well, that's my theory... please, tell me what you think?

Tami "Turned" gay? Interesting thought. I have never met anyone that "Turned" gay.

If we went by your theory, there would be many more homosexual people in this world, because unfortunately, rape happens and this would cause all the victims' friends, families, and acquaintances to "turn" gay. But what happens when the rape is by a member of the same sex, does that "turn" you straight?

message 3: by Khadija (new)

Khadija i don't even recall that JKR said dumbledore was gay...was it mentioned there in book 7? if it was, can u tell me which chapter it was mentioned in so i can reread it?

Tami It wasn't included in the books. It was something JK Rowling mentioned after the release of the seventh book, during some interview.

Lama.a. There you have it, Khadija! << thanks to Tami =D

Thanks Tami for your comment! I just thought Dumbledore might have been affected *that* way because he thinks in a weird way =) I mean he looks at things from different angles...

Julie Wake Lama.a. wrote: "Theory: Ariana, Dumbledore's sister, was raped by the muggles.

^I know this is being discussed and argued about, but *supposedly*...

Fact: Dumbledore is gay.

^That *is* a fact. I think JK..."

What do you mean "he turned gay"? That is just the way some people are. My son is gay and it has nothing to do with his upbringing or his life experience.

Erica Okane hey guess what? DUMBLEDORE IS NOT A REAL PERSON!!!!! So this conversation is pointless! Nothing MADE him gay, because words on a paper arent attracted to other words of the same sex! I read all 7 Harry Potter books, and I am a fan, but come on people. Its not real!

Juliet I don't really care if he's gay or not, it has no effect on the books whatsoever. In fact, I just found out about him being gay a short time ago, and I don't really think it changes anything.

Melissa Eisenmeier Khadija wrote: "i don't even recall that JKR said dumbledore was gay...was it mentioned there in book 7? if it was, can u tell me which chapter it was mentioned in so i can reread it?"

J. K. Rowling said during a book tour that Dumbledore was gay. I think a fan in the audience asked if he ever found love, and she said he found it with Grindelwald. I provided a link below, if you want more information. You could also do what I did, which was to Google J. K. Rowling: Dumbledore is gay.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainm...

message 10: by Narjes (new) - added it

Narjes Alnemer i think he might be bisexual

Summer Melissa wrote: "Khadija wrote: "i don't even recall that JKR said dumbledore was gay...was it mentioned there in book 7? if it was, can u tell me which chapter it was mentioned in so i can reread it?"

J. K. Row..."

This is really interesting, thanks for the link;)

Concerning that theory, it never crossed my mind that Ariana was raped..

~*Just Slytherin Along w/ The Creatures*~ (Patrick Swayze's lover) Siman wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Khadija wrote: "i don't even recall that JKR said dumbledore was gay...was it mentioned there in book 7? if it was, can u tell me which chapter it was mentioned in so i can reread i..."

oh! she could have been, thats very possible..

message 13: by Maja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maja People don't ''turn'' gay. They either are or are not... Which means, he was gay before anything happened to his sister...

Melissa Eisenmeier Siman wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Khadija wrote: "i don't even recall that JKR said dumbledore was gay...was it mentioned there in book 7? if it was, can u tell me which chapter it was mentioned in so i can reread i..."
You're welcome. ;)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

JKR confirmed in an interview that dumbledore was gay.

Kendall Anne Juliet wrote: "I don't really care if he's gay or not, it has no effect on the books whatsoever. In fact, I just found out about him being gay a short time ago, and I don't really think it changes anything."

AGREED COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holly What interview did J.K. Rowling confirm this in??? Becuase I should like to watch it. Even if Dumbledore is gay, it doesn't change my view of him. I believe that Dumbledore is one of the best characters in the book (second behind Dobby) and it doesn't matter to me if he is gay or not.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

..People do not "turn gay" -.-

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell I heard J.K. said he was gay because they wanted to do a flashback scene in one of the movies between him and some woman and she was like, No, no, no!

Plus, it kind of shows that you can still be kickass and awesome and still be gay, and not conform to any of the stereotypes. Because while Dumbledore is a bit of a doddering old man and very eccentric, but he is definitely not an effeminate, superficial man obsessed with fashion and interior decorating (although you could probably argue for the latter haha). Not that there's anything wrong with being an effeminate gay male, but there's other kinds of gay out there.

Julia Dumbledore was definitely gay. There is no denying it because JK Rowling said he was and she would know because she made him up.
And of course it's okay for him to be gay because there's nothing wrong with being gay.
And of course it doesn't change the book because being thought of as straight or gay or anything else doesn't make you a different person or change your actions.
And of course it matters because he was a beloved character and we all want to know more about the people that inhabited our lives for so long.
And of course he didn't 'turn' gay because that's impossible; on the inside you are born the way you are and that's it.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

well it doesn't matter if he's gay or not because people still love dumbledore's character anyways.

message 23: by Melissa (last edited Jul 05, 2011 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Eisenmeier Read the posts before yours. I included a link to an article about the particulars in an earlier post.

Peter Dumby's gay. JKR said it in an interview. I doubt he "turned" gay though. He clearly had the hots for Grindelwald.

Juliet Peter wrote: "Dumby's gay. JKR said it in an interview. I doubt he "turned" gay though. He clearly had the hots for Grindelwald."

clearly

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Nobody "turns" gay, or straight. Good for JKR. He is the best character in the book.

Natalie Nobody turns to any sexuality...they just are or they aren't. Nobody who's gay has any choice in the matter, so Dumbledore couldn't have "become" gay.

Holly Peter wrote: "Dumby's gay. JKR said it in an interview. I doubt he "turned" gay though. He clearly had the hots for Grindelwald."

I know, right?

message 29: by Tym (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tym Natalie wrote: "Nobody turns to any sexuality...they just are or they aren't. Nobody who's gay has any choice in the matter, so Dumbledore couldn't have "become" gay."

What she said

Caroline C. dumbldore is gay what o had no clue he didnt seem gay in the books or movies! not that i have anything agaianst gays but i dont know i just wouldnt picture him being gay

message 31: by Tabu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tabu Thevarajan Lama.a. wrote: I think Dumbledore might have turned gay because of his sister. Maybe after seeing the pain and distress that Ariana went through, he got afraid of hurting a woman the way the muggles hurt his sister. And eventually, he became gay.

I don't think anybody could turned into gay just because he/she sees somebody being raped. Besides, raping is painful to the victim. But marrying somebody and/or having sex with somebody with their consent is not a pain to him/ her, but pleasure. As said again and again above, any person are born the way they are. It may take some time for them to identify what they are, but they are not turned into something they are not.

Renée if you can turn gay, can you twirl straight then? (LAWL!)

PaubO Dumbledore loved Grindelwald that's why he went along with "The greater good" thing and put off dueling him for so long.

Marina Fontaine JKR said he was gay. She also said she did not include it in the books explicitly because it was irrelevant to the plot, and that some people may interpret his relationship with Grindelwald as just friendship. Personally, I found it entirely plausible that two boys who were so much alike would have a very close relationship without it turning sexual. Our society is now very accepting of gays, but as a result many people assume that two men or two women who are very close and care for each other much be gay. I think it's unfortunate.

-Technicolor-Veins- Oooh so he is gay in the BOOKS not the actor in real life...{ I understand some of you will be like, DUH! but still don't be mean}
but why does it even matter to the plot? I don't understand how he could be gay, there wasnt really any signs of it in the books... but well it doesnt really matter does it?

Syahira actually, I think Dumbledore was kinda asexual throughout the books, no mention of woman in his life, only work and education. So its kinda not really suprising that JKR said he's gay since dumbledore's story is rather obscure before this. But its not a bad thing, not all old man care about sex at that age and so no one really do mind about an old man preferences.

message 37: by Jundi (last edited Jul 28, 2011 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jundi A Fatim i only have one of the seven book harry potter it's the seventh book.
i love the plot here. outstanding story. i feel i can't breath when red it.
about DUMBLEDOR. i like his story here i love JKR's ways to make DUMBLEDOR live with his isue of he's gay. hahaha

Marina Fontaine Sofia wrote: "Oooh so he is gay in the BOOKS not the actor in real life...{ I understand some of you will be like, DUH! but still don't be mean}
but why does it even matter to the plot? I don't understand how h..."

It DOESN'T matter to the plot. That's why a lot of people say it was a publicity stunt. As if those books don't generate enough attention in their own right...

Shriya Doesn't anybody remember the whole tumult about legalising gay marriage rights at the same time when the book was released? I think declaring Dumbledore to be gay was Jo's way of supporting the movement and expressing it to everyone that it is ok to be gay. Sexuality is something very personal and just because one is homosexual, straight or bisexual doesn't make one a good or a bad person. Through Dumbledore she tried to show to the in-the-closet gay people and the rest of the world that despite being gay, Dumbledore was perhaps the brightest and the coolest character in the entire Harry Potter series!

message 40: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon Teetsell Shriya wrote: "Doesn't anybody remember the whole tumult about legalising gay marriage rights at the same time when the book was released? I think declaring Dumbledore to be gay was Jo's way of supporting the mov..."

100% agree.

An interesting point JK made though was that he and Grindewald were together. Grindewald owned the Elder Wand and Dumbledore defeated him. I wonder what that was all about.

B.evil is he gay or just british? isnt it hard to tell with some male brits??

Marina Fontaine Esp. when they wear purple robes.

message 43: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Being gay is a choice. Sorry to burst your bubble :)

Melissa Eisenmeier Jenn, being gay isn't a choice in most cases, any more than being straight is.

Marina Fontaine Being gay isn't a choice. Having gay sex is a choice.

message 46: by Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. (last edited Jul 29, 2011 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. Erica wrote: "hey guess what? DUMBLEDORE IS NOT A REAL PERSON!!!!! So this conversation is pointless! Nothing MADE him gay, because words on a paper arent attracted to other words of the same sex! I read all 7 H..."

Hey, we're just trying to go deeper into a series we like.
My theory of why he is gay is because he's seen all the problems that straight love brings (snape and lily.....) and maybe he thought that gay love would be different.
I'm not gay, so I have no idea, but I guess it must be different. It's definitely not BAD, though.

isabel Dumbledore's gay? I'm pretty sure it never said anything about his sexuality in the books. People just say that cuz Michael Gambon is gay and he plays Dumbledore in the movies. If I'm wrong tell me but I've never heard that the character Dumbledore is gay. Does it even matter anyway?(that rhymed) And I've never heard of anyone "turning" gay...

Marina Fontaine I stand by the statement that it was a publicity stunt to stir up more conversation and controversy. If JKR really wanted to help gay cause, she should have done it by making one of the younger characters gay IN THE BOOKS, not through an interview mention of an old man who was past sexual age anyway at the time the story begins.

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. I think she may have decided it after the books were published, by looking at Dumbledore's behaviour and such...but I never noticed any behaviour of his that showed he was gay. I don't know. It's kind of weird....

message 50: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin It didn't occur to me when I first read the book. After JKR said Dumbledore was gay, I saw how it was possible he had feelings for Grindelwald (though I think I read somewhere Grindelwald didn't return the affections, but maybe he did at first, I don't know...).

On another note, I did wonder what happened to Arianna, if she was indeed raped by those Muggles. That's really the only explanation I have.

« previous 1