GigPosters Book-Nerders discussion

November's BotM - Suite Francaise

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Denny | 26 comments I picked it up and started reading this weekend. I was kind of worried that it would be... I don't know, too intense? Too thick? Too FRENCH?

But it's awesome so far. So casually and sophisticatedly written.
Oh, and bookcover by Chip Kidd. :)

message 2: by Dusty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Dusty Summers you started too early denny!

message 3: by Denny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Denny | 26 comments ***SPOILER WARNING***
you ain't the boss of me.

message 4: by Denny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Denny | 26 comments Dear Sirs:

And I quoteth:

"You guys/girls can do what you will."

&

"Of course, you could forgo any of my advice and read the entire thing today."

Byte me.

:)

message 5: by Denny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Denny | 26 comments I picked it up and started reading this weekend. I was kind of worried that it would be... I don't know, too intense? Too thick? Too FRENCH?

But it's awesome so far. So casually and sophisticatedly written.
Oh, and bookcover by Chip Kidd. :)

message 6: by Dusty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Dusty Summers OK i picked this up today. Tried to start reading it the barber shop but couldnt concentrate over the TSOL on their radios while i waited.

Will dive in head first tonight and put the story of Pet Sounds to the bed side table for just a wee bit.

Looks good though.

message 7: by Denny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Denny | 26 comments Barber shop? well, that's a good sign.
I'm a slow reader. I guess I shouldn't have read that spoiler. I thought I was further along than I was. OOPS!

Oh, and is it just me, or am I getting spammed by a bunch of dooshbag-spam-fake-accounts on here or what? It's worse than myspace!

message 8: by Dusty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Dusty Summers Cold Sore, i think have a different copy than denny and I, that paragraph doesnt appear on page 44 of my book. Just sayin, chapter #s might be better than page #s from here on out.

I've just got into it, on chapter 10 just after Corte refuses to board in the attic.

As far as characters go so far i'd have to align myself with the Michauds. Obviously the closest to middle class and the only ones so far that arent able to make their on decisions on how to proceed. Just caught in the flow of other folks lives.

And as was said before, much better than I had thought it would be.

message 9: by Dusty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Dusty Summers its actually alot easier to read, dude doesnt scream all that much, just sleeps. So I've been watching a ton of movies and reading quite a bit. I highly suggest renting Hal Ashby's Bound for Glory, the woodie guthrie story staring dave carradine.

message 10: by Dusty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Dusty Summers I like how her writing follows the philosohy that Corte lays out early on "... A novel should be like a street full of strangers..."

message 11: by Denny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Denny | 26 comments I like this book. Corte seems like a pretty cool dude.
I find it refreshing to read about people who are as filthy rich as I am. I get so tired of reading about poor people all the time.

message 12: by Dusty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Dusty Summers yup im into dolce and havent picked it up in a minute, mostly cause diaper changes and burping spells are superseding things like reading and sleeping

message 13: by Denny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Denny | 26 comments I'm too dumb to keep everybody straight, like which family is which, which person is married to which POW, etc. But I'm hanging in there. Or whatever. I'm in part 2 also.
So F'ing amazing considering the circumstances surrounding the actual writing of the book. That's all I can think about when I'm reading.

message 14: by Denny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Denny | 26 comments word up.
the second half was much less compelling. But it was bound to be.
EVACUATION! vs. domesticity. right? yeah.

ok... this part is about the ending of the book, so don't read this if you haven't totally finished the book...

ok?

ok.

seriously.

alright. So, I'm no literature expert by any stretch of the imagination, but what's with the way books end? This has happened to me a few times, where I thought there was going to be this rad explosion of an ending where I just read it and sit there slack-jawed for an hour or so TRYING to assimilate what I just read. But not so much. They left. Ok. The dude that killed the German dude just... got away with it? Left town? Whatserface was just bummed... and that's it? The senile old lady just went back to being old and rich and bitchy? WTF? NOTHING HAPPENED!? Don't get me wrong... I loved this book ESPECIALLY considering the context of its actual writing, but mazn. Kind of a let down. Right?

message 15: by palehighway (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

palehighway | 2 comments i feel like i've pooped better plot lines.

message 16: by Denny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Denny | 26 comments Very insightful.