Shadow Divers Shadow Divers discussion

interesting

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gail I read this book this summer and learned so much about submarines, WWII and some hx. of diving. It was recommended to me by Debbi Wiseman, high school friiend and dive buddy.

trishtrash Gail wrote: "I read this book this summer and learned so much about submarines, WWII and some hx. of diving. It was recommended to me by Debbi Wiseman, high school friiend and dive buddy."

The person who recommended it to me was a diver, too, though I'm not; it was one of the most fascinating books I'd ever read - I learned so much, without feeling like I'd read a text book... so exciting! Definitely one of my favs!

Jeff Tucker I really enjoyed this book but my first thought was that these people are crazy. I don't understand why someone would do something so dangerous just for the fun of it.

April I loved this book! There is also another book with theses diver in it about the Titanic titled Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatter and Richie Kohler by Bradford Matsen. While it is not a good a Shadow Diver it is worth a read.

Bill I just finished this book. It's an excellent read and Chatterton has the History Channel series Deep Sea Detectives that's available through Netflix.

April Bill wrote: "I just finished this book. It's an excellent read and Chatterton has the History Channel series Deep Sea Detectives that's available through Netflix."

Thanks just found it on netflix going to watch now.

Bill Umlauf Jeff wrote: "I really enjoyed this book but my first thought was that these people are crazy. I don't understand why someone would do something so dangerous just for the fun of it."

I have been wreck diving for 30 years, I love the technical and personnel challenges and the ability to step back into history.
I think people who jump out of airplanes with a parachute are insane!

message 8: by Jeff (last edited Sep 17, 2012 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff Tucker Bill wrote: "Jeff wrote: "I really enjoyed this book but my first thought was that these people are crazy. I don't understand why someone would do something so dangerous just for the fun of it."

I have been wr..."

Hi Bill, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I thought it was very well researched and written. There aren't many good books about diving. My hat goes off to you if you're doing that same style of wreck diving. I've been a diver for many years but mostly in Florida, the Bahamas and the South Pacific. Deep diving in the cold dark waters of the Northeast seems pretty scary to me. I agree with you that jumping out of perfectly good airplane doesn't make much sense either. I enjoyed reading your comment. Stay safe. Jeff

Bill just to be clear, there are two Bills talking here. I am not the wreck diver, so Bill my hat is off to you.

Avidreader Read this book when it first came out and absolutely loved it! The divers were so passionate about what they did. The author did an amazing job making you feel as if you were right there slowly ascending to the surface. Will have to check out the Titanic book.

Have seen the Titanic Artifact exhibit twice. I could spend all day looking at what has been brought up from the depths.

I have jumped out of an airplane (tandem) and I think diving is a hundred times more terrifying!

Melanie785 Avidreader wrote: "I have jumped out of an airplane (tandem) and I think diving is a hundred times more terrifying!

I've bungee jumped out of a hot air balloon, tandem skydived, and certified to SCUBA dive. SCUBA is my favorite and the least scary. I highly recommend taking a try SCUBA class it should be $40 - $60 and you are in a pool. I had issues with my ears in the pool but when we did our lake dive for open water certification I feel in love.

I found the bungee jump to be the scariest. With SCUBA always go with a dive master - they will make each dive fun and safe. Plus they know the cool dive spots. I want to go back and dive the Grand Caymens again. St. Thomas was okay.

Avidreader Melanie wrote: "I've bungee jumped out of a hot air balloon"

Wow! Never heard of that thrill!

I could see myself SCUBA diving in a pool but open water is too scary for me, and I have ear issues as well. Thanks for your comments.

David1 So i got this book at the middle of the school year the new high school that i am going to and i was like crap i have to read this. the book was shadow divers. At first i put the book off to the side and didnt read it. but one day i decided to pick it up and start reading it. I finished the book later that week. :D