Harry Potter discussion

Characters > Rowling Outs Dumbledore

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Check out this article in which J.K. Rowling announces that Dumbledore was gay.

message 2: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Tara | 83 comments Cool! It makes sense now, looking back at the books and the history we're given about Dumbledore. Grindelwald huh? That's interesting.

Thanks for sharing tha article. I think JK is right, the groups who are against her books are going to have one more thing to add to their lists as far as why they believe her books should be banned!

message 3: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments That's sick! Good thing Dumbledore changed huh!

message 4: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Caroline I'm definitely going to have to re-read specifically book 7 (probably all, though, since I'll use any excuse to re-read my favorite books--they're such fun books to revisit!) with this in mind.

It's entertaining to watch this news spread around the internet, with people all over saying Rowling brought this news out for attention. Personally, I'm happy to get more details about the characters, and am really looking forward to the encyclopedia she's supposedly going to publish.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think part of the reason may have been to make a statement, as gay marriage is such a hot-button issue. But who knows.

message 6: by Cathy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Cathy | 50 comments I kinda love this. It does make sense -- but on the other hand, it doesn't really make a difference. I love Dumbledore still, he is still my hero, gay or straight!!
It makes you kind of wonder about some of the other professors, huh?? ... ones that seem to have no life except at Hogwarts ...

message 7: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Beth (bibliocat4) I really do not think Rowling did it for attention because she is a very private person and has never been a media hound. But there will certainly be controversy over this one!

I actually like Dumbledore better now than I did after I finished book 7 because love does make you do crazy things and it helps explain why Dumbledore might have let his power thing go to far under Grindelwald's attention.

message 8: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Tracey Dumbledore's "outing" definitely surprised me...before HBP, i had always thought that he & Prof. McGonagall would hook up...but just like you said, Cathy, his orientation makes no difference to me in my enjoyment of this series.

Beth, i think you made a really good point about "love does make you do crazy things". who among us hasn't had a crush or love interest where we may have behaved, at best, a little sillier than usual?

Meghan, i doubt that Dumbledore "changed"...rather, he may have just shut down emotionally in a way. considering that 1) he realized, a fraction too late, that Grindelwald wasn't worthy of his affection, and 2) the fight between himself, Grindelwald & Aberforth lead directly to the death of Arianna, i can see how Dumbledore may not have been willing to fall for *anyone* again -- having fallen for the wrong person (male or female) had already cost him dearly.

message 9: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Tara | 83 comments I also don't think JK did this for publicity or attention. I think she was just answering a fan's question. She had said in previous interviews that she had developed a lot of history on the characters, so it's probably one of those things that she's known forever but never really put out there until now.

I still love Dumbledore, no matter his orientation! He rocks!

message 10: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Good piont Tracey!
Didn't think about that. Yeah he probably was tramatized after his sister's death and felt horrible. I wonder if he was more than a friend to Snape, though I think Snape loved Lily to much.

message 11: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments i agree w/ tracey that dumbledore learned from his mistakes w/ grindelwald and steered clear of anyone for a relationship. that probably made his mission of guiding all those in the dark path to the light (like snape) and well, if not for him harry may be in the dark path as well. whatever his orientation is dumbledore is the man harry would owe a lot of things to not because of any strings attached but purely because of the goodness in his heart.

message 12: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I think the whole outing Dumbledore was unnecessary especially since the books are done with.

message 13: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) What I find interesting is how everyone feels the need to explain that they "still" love Dumbledore, as if we would all think that once he came out, so to speak, that people wouldn't like him anymore. Maybe it's because of my involvement in the theatre, but it just isn't even an issue to say you "still" like someone when they come out.

message 14: by Joseph (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Joseph Daly | 2 comments Dumbledore is gay? I'll pretend I didn't hear that (fingers in ears) La la la la...not listening...la la..lee la la...First I find out that the guy who played Gandolf in Lord of the Rings is gay and now Dumbledore? Are any of my fantasy fiction characters safe? And to quote the great Sienfield, "Not that there's anything wrong with that"...Man I think I need a little "quiet" time to "process" all of this (breathe in...breathe out)

message 15: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Rachel (JediRach) | 7 comments I think I like him better now and there really are signs pointing to it especially in DH. I just always felt throughout the series he has probably been hurt by a previous relationship and steered clear.

message 16: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Oh gosh! Personally I think this is getting kinda rediculous! I mean it's like we are all trying to defend Dumbledore for being gay. His a fictional charactor and though I'd die (not really) without Harry Potter I think the fact that J.K. said he's gay doesn't mean we all have to start having kittens over it! No offense to any one.

message 17: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Tracey i'll agree with you on this, Meghan...this *is* getting ridiculous. and in response to your most recent post, i will only speak for myself.

like i said earlier, learning that Dumbledore was gay surprised me, but didn't change the way i viewed his character. and similar to what several folks have said, learning that he's gay opened up an avenue to understanding his character a little more.

the thing that's really irritating me about this whole discussion is that now that JKR has revealed that there was a gay character in the series, all of a sudden...
"That's sick! Good thing Dumbledore changed huh!"
...and...
"Are any of my fantasy fiction characters safe?"
...and...
"my god what a creepy ideea!" (from another thread)
...and speculation over whether "a gay" has been looking at Harry "that way".

can you see how degrading and dehumanizing those terms are? so yeah, maybe i've been rubbed a little raw by those statements...reactions about a *fictional character* that are all too alive & well in the real world. what i would like to see is that people would stop fearfully responding to the words "gay" or "lesbian" as if sex is the only thing we think about -- as if we exist only to hurt people, in real life or in fiction.

message 18: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Rachel Burton (bookish_yogi) | 2 comments Course he's gay... I'm just surprised certain religious groups haven't outed him already ;)

message 19: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments thats sad. haha. who would have thought of it. but think positive. gay doesn't need to be thought of as homosexual. it can be 'gay' as in 'happy'. =P