What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Group Feedback + Report Spam > Please add helpful information in your post!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 67 comments It helps us to find answers if you give some more basic info about books. Was the book for kids? Teens? Adults? About how long ago was it when you read it - in a year range - not when I was twelve. Visual images that stick in your mind. Etc.

Thanks,

Nancy (who would like to be more helpful)

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Good suggestions, Nancy!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Yes they are. Thanks. Hopefully, posters will take note.

message 4: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Male or female author helps narrow it down if you can remember.

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  (tiffanyyy_wang) | 12 comments Also, add as much detail in the summary as possible....

message 6: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 52 comments I'd like to suggest that stating "I read this a long time ago", or "as a child" isn't exactly helpful. Stating about when (even part of a decade) is more helpful. Everyone's "long time ago" or childhood is probably much different than that of other board viewers.

ex: Someone who grew up in the 90's vs someone who grew up in the 60's, 70's, or earlier.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Kiri, Yes, year(s) read and age geared to are two of the most useful pieces of information. Thank for the reminder.

message 8: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2370 comments ***Note: Provide a brief description of your book in the subject line, as opposed to something vague like "Help!" or "Can't Remember This Book" and you will be more likely to catch the eye of someone familiar with your book.
------------
Noticing a lot of topic (subject) lines are too vague lately. Are you able to make the above briefer and provide examples?
eg. Children's fiction lost dog, read mid-1980s
eg. Adult science fiction aliens invade earth read 1989
eg. Young adult/children's fiction kidnapped, camp, read about 1995

That may help. Also mention the topic line goes in the email notice people receive notifying of a new post, and it helps to provide keywords of what the book is about. Plus interests people who may be able to help.

The year a book was read, or early or late years of which decade, also helps searchers. Some posts also didn't mention they were actually adult fiction, or children's fiction, when the clues given didn't indicate that.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Bookel--the problem is--most people don't bother reading the "Guidelines" before posting. So, even though it is stated in the Guidelines to make your topic heading as specific as possible, it's just isn't going to happen because most people won't read it.

message 10: by K. (new)

K. (aoutranc3) | 76 comments It's amazing how little people read on a website dedicated to reading. ;)

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Sigh, it's all down to "reading the directions." As a country the U.S. tends to ignore them unless they have no choice. I've been guilty of that myself too, but when it comes to finding "old loves" of mine, I definitely read ALL of the suggestions for getting people to help me find them.

message 12: by The Nerdy Weeb (new)

The Nerdy Weeb (leevalverde) | 21 comments I know this isn't related but could someone help me? I don't want to post again bc I did awhile back and it's for the same book. Anyway I can see my history in this group? I'm looking for the same book bc I was stupid enough not to save it :( it's a supernatural book. The tireless rhymes with " black is the new" I can't remember and don't know how to view history.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39638 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "I know this isn't related but could someone help me? I don't want to post again bc I did awhile back and it's for the same book. Anyway I can see my history in this group? I'm looking for the same ..."

Anna, here are the topics started by you.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/topic...

The way to see all comments by you in a group is to hover over your avatar right next to your comment and click on "see comment history." From the next page, you can also click on "topics created by ------ (you)".

message 14: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments I think people are just so antsy about finding their book they just want to post about it before reading the how to of it.

message 15: by The Nerdy Weeb (new)

The Nerdy Weeb (leevalverde) | 21 comments Thank you very much for the help! I been going crazy to find the book and turns out I found 2 more that I was looking for. You guys are amazing! Thank you