The Group of The Book of Disquiet discussion

How do you read the Book?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon-michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Jon-michael (The_Disciple) well I cant realy help you their, it just come to me. well thank for joining this group. the only person that is going to responde to your post is me. the other guy dosen't get on any more.

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 2 comments I think that is the perfect way to read BofD. I've read about half of the entries since I first picked it up a couple of years ago. I always have other books that I'm "reading", and just go to BofD at times I feel the pull. It never dissapoints!

Keep enjoying. It's the only book I own (of many) that I dog-ear pages in!

DBN

ps, have you read Saramago's "The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis"? R.R. was another of Pessoa's heteronymns. It's top-notch.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (ovenman) | 1 comments guess this isn't the highest traffic riff around. in any case, this is one of my favorite books. if you compare it to, say, cortazar's hopscotch, i think you find pessoa has a more interesting center. you read until you're done, until the thing has revealed itself to you. less so in cortazar in which you read in a differently prescribed order for a different end...well, if it revives i'll be interested to hear what others say and also to perjure myself further.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm afraid to place my thoughts here for fear that describing the texture of my feelings about the book will be too much of a spoiler. I will say this though, it is eloquent to the point of not even needing to search for the meaning of words in it [which helps immensely with the feeling part]. Rarely do I read things where the language just rolls off the tongue of the mind so beautifully.

message 5: by Lenka (new)

Lenka | 1 comments I've read this book two weeks ago and I want to read it again. When I started reading it, I didn't want to stop until I finish, because it was just amazing. But I think it's better to read it slowly, only few passages at a time, like Silvia said.

message 6: by Nik-stir (new)

Nik-stir (bookwormnik) | 1 comments I just flip to a different page each time I pick it up. I like him to surprise me.

message 7: by David (new)

David (ahungerartist801) | 2 comments I've read passages off and on for a couple of weeks and finally got distracted and haven't picked it up in quite some time. I am in the middle of crime and punishment but plan on cracking Pessoa back open when i finish it. I'll certainly drop by to discuss when I do so.

message 8: by David (new)

David (ahungerartist801) | 2 comments Just read the preface due to having viewed this group and it piquing my interest. Kind of chilling, I definitely plan to get back into the book asap.

message 9: by Tarinla (new)

Tarinla Yue | 1 comments I couldn't stop reading it although it has been 2years now since the first page.

I have underline many feelings/quote and I just go back to them whenever I think of.

It surely a great work and need to let the feelings sink in slowly.

message 10: by B.F. (new)

B.F. Spath | 1 comments A book like no other—it gets into your head in strange ways—I offer my review here:
http://brianspaeth-nyc.blogspot.com/2...