Gardener's Group discussion

OGSG Archives > Autumn is well under way! Fall 2008

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Compared with last year's late fall, this year we're nearly at peak in these parts already!!! Gorgeous shades of reds & oranges everywhere with yellows scattered throughout!

I got a gardening catalog in the mail!!!

I'm all dec'd out & lighted up for Halloween! The mums & aster are in full bloom as are the zinnia's, autumn joy sedum and dianthus! What I thought was the last round of tomato's for the season has turned into another with more yellow blooms popping out each day! The Clarke's Heavenly Blue Morning Glories are still hanging on where as the Scarlet O'Hara's seem to be done!

Time to rake the back yard and get that grass seed down! (I know, I should've done it already but we've been busy!)

How are things in your gardens?!

message 2: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments The past 3 yrs in our area of Minnesota have been extremely dry and finally this year we had a lot of rain in Sept and early Oct which has resulted in spectacular fall color. I have just soaked it up as it will be gone too soon. I've spent the past few weeks completely re-doing the first flower bed I ever made in my yard. I removed all but two rosy asters and 1 Siberian iris (too enormous to dig up) and then hand dug in ammendments and topped with cypress bark chips. In the mean time I had been dividing some peonies, day lilys and hosta I already had and will use the extras in the new bed along with some mail order goodies that arrived before I was ready to plant and I have been babying along. Tomorrow is finally the big day and I will start planting right after I make a trip to the local Farmers' Market to check if there is still anything available I can't live without. Fall is such a busy time in the garden, but I enjoy every minute of it.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Sounds wonderful Cheryl! Things are winding down here since it's gotten cold! We were just up in the New England & Upstate NY area last week & this past weekend and the colors are spectacular!

message 4: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I have always wanted to make the New England trip in the fall and see all that color for myself. It's beautiful here too, but always fun to see what's on the "other side".

What zone to you garden in?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I believe I'm in zone 7a here on the coast!

message 6: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Wow, 7a, that sounds great. We are expecting snow flurries tomorrow in zone 4 as some big cold front is coming down out of Canada. Hopefully we'll get a little Indian summer after this or getting the final outdoor chores done can be miserable.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Ah snow! I remember snow! We had it here last in 2006!!!

message 8: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Sure, rub it in. Actually I really like snow, it's the -20 degrees I'm not looking forward to, but then I think our winter weather makes us appreciate spring all that much more.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm having fits of snow withdrawal! Send all you want my way!!!

message 10: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments So far we've only had a few flurries with nothing staying on the ground. I'm glad as I still have a few chores to finish outside. When the big stuff comes I think of you.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Aaawww thanks Cheryl!