Harry Potter discussion

Books > how fast you read

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ms.cherry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

ms.cherry (sparklyprincess) I can't believe I finished this book in three days.

message 2: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments which one? i finished the first book in a day as well as the second book. when i saw how good the book was i had to pace myself and read slowly to savour every emotions, every happenings, every new lesson taught, every person met.....

message 3: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Every time I read Harry Potter for the first time (never more :( ) I speed read through the whole thing. Once I'm finished I start over and read it slower. Sometimes I missed important things and rereading it slowly helps me a lot.

message 4: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Kenzie Every time I reread I find something new. I told myself to pace, but, as you know, Harry Potter seven was so enticing that I finished it in a day.

message 5: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) hey kenzie, me too! 7 took less than 24 hrs... lets see *duz mental math* bout 15 hrs for me... it was good, and i did NOTHING that day... i was HUNGRY when i finished it... =)

message 6: by Kanika (new)

Kanika (kanikasood) | 113 comments Ya same here I soon as I got harry potter 7 I finished it in less than a day and by the time i got up I couldn't feel my feet(they had seriously gone numb~!!!!)

message 7: by Maya (new)

Maya (numerounochewylover) | 270 comments lol, i also agree wit kenzie and snowfoot!
the day i got it i was sooo happy, but then my dad made me go to coney island (the first time i was ever mad and there) but i took the book and read it at the beach and in the middle of the crowd at the siren festival. it was so amazing, i couldn't put it down!

message 8: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) lol. i got it wen it came out at midnight, and then i walked around the store, following my neighbor as she did her shopping, cuz she took me with her to get the book. we both got a copy, and it only cast me $13! we got them at meijers, and the store had this thing where if you spent over a certain amt, you got it for 13, and she spent twice the amt, so she payed for her groceries in 2 sets! ... *sigh* i luv that neighbor...

message 9: by Novin, whose favortie character is Sirius Black. (new)

Novin | 575 comments Mod
of course HP books are awesome, adorable,every thing,... I read the first 4 in something around a week & finished the fifth & the sixth each in 2 or 3 days. I read the 7th one as soon as I got it,everywhere !(at school, class,... ) I remember that I had to finish an important project for our art & my mom & I were trying to finish it , then in the middle of work I couldn't tollerate the sitaution anymore & gave up completely to finish the book ! ( poor mom finished MY project alone !!)

message 10: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (Irajnug) | 732 comments i'm not a very fast reader... took me about two weeks to read the 7th book. but i love the books anyways, especially rereading them! every time i read them it just gets better, u kno?
in fact i'm rereading the series right now... i'm on the third one at the moment. harry's just getting explained the truth in the shrieking shack! (one of my fave parts!)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I READ REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY FAST!!!!!!!!!!!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished the whole entire series in 1 month.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I took me a really long time because the stupid library teacher at school wouldn't let me check it out.....

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieIsCool13) Why?

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciaftw) I read the 7th book in less than a day, but like everyone else who says that, I'm sure we don't read ALL our books that fast. Just the ones we've been waiting ten years for.

message 16: by Alicia (last edited Sep 08, 2010 06:53AM) (new)

Alicia (aliciaftw) I doubt the truthfulness of an hour, however. How likely is it for someone to truly take in every word in the time of an hour?

Let's break it down;

198,227 words in Deathly Hallows.
60 minutes.
3303.7 words per minute.
55 words per second.

Now all of us saying less than a day. I don't know if it's fairer to say we read for 12 hours straight, or maybe a few more. Or maybe less!

198,227 words in Deathly Hallows.
12 hours
16518.9 words per hour
275.3 words per minute
4.5 words per second

message 17: by Foxears (new)

Foxears | 30 comments I wanted to read slowly while reading both tha sixth and the seventh book, because I didn't want to stress it through but instead take in all the details. I told my self to read one chapter a day, which quickly became two chapters a day... and in the end I read like four chapters a day.

message 18: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciaftw) Foxears wrote: "I wanted to read slowly while reading both tha sixth and the seventh book, because I didn't want to stress it through but instead take in all the details. I told my self to read one chapter a day, ..."

I really wish I would've paced myself. I'd tell myself before each release, "Okay, I'm going to read this one slowly - I'll only get this feeling once." But no, I couldn't help myself. :(

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

3rd day re-reading Sorcerer's Stone.... read about 100 pages today in an hour... AT SCHOOL.

message 20: by Eden (new)

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) I read through the books pretty quickly. It took me a few days to get through each of them.

message 21: by Miss Jimenez (new)

Miss Jimenez | 14 comments Books 1-2 (Two days)
Book 3 (A week)
Book 4 (Three months, I was nine okay?)
Books 5-7 (Three days)

message 22: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciaftw) Miss Jimenez wrote: "Books 1-2 (Two days)
Book 3 (A week)
Book 4 (Three months, I was nine okay?)
Books 5-7 (Three days)"

You read four first?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Whole series in 2 weeks, not counting these other books I had to read for school.

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 27, 2010 05:07AM) (new)

Shae (Ron Fanatic!!!!!) wrote: "Whole series in 2 weeks, not counting these other books I had to read for school."

Really?! It was that fast?

message 25: by Foxears (last edited Sep 26, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Foxears | 30 comments Well, it's not that fast... I just reread the last third of the seventh book and it took me around a day. I wasn't reading all the time and also English is not my native language. So lets say I'd finnish the seventh book in three days. That book is ~600 pages so 200 pages a day, not too hard. The books all together is around 3400 pages. If reading 200 pages a day that would take 17 days for the whole series, and there are people reading faster than me (my friend just told me he read the seventh in 10 hours).

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Foxears wrote: "Well, it's not that fast... I just reread the last third of the seventh book and it took me around a day. I wasn't reading all the time and also English is not my native language. So lets say I'd f..."

I tend to read the book slowly (maybe 100 pages a day) that way I can soak in all of the words and extra info.

message 27: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 22 comments Well, seeing as I started reading them back when I was in second grade, it took me a bit longer than it takes now. Now, I can finish the whole series in a matter of about three or four days, if I can read them straight through without interruptions like school of having to go somewhere. With interruptions, it'd take me a week to finish all of the books.
After the first couple of times reading them, they're not really as challenging to read. I enjoy picking up little things that I may have missed previously.

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (Zeeberg) Kristina wrote: "Well, seeing as I started reading them back when I was in second grade, it took me a bit longer than it takes now. Now, I can finish the whole series in a matter of about three or four days, if I c..."

My words exactly.

message 29: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 359 comments Kristina wrote: "Well, seeing as I started reading them back when I was in second grade, it took me a bit longer than it takes now. Now, I can finish the whole series in a matter of about three or four days, if I c..."

Me too! When the 7th one come out I read it in 10 hours that night it came out. But I fell asleep for two hours in the middle after Ron came back so that's 12 if you count the sleep....

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G (EMTP513) | 59 comments I read the seventh book really fast, b/c I was dying to know what happened. But I usually read slow, so now I have to read the whole thing over. I missed 10 tons of information flying through the book in 4 days.
But I really hate that chapter where Rita Skeeter talks about how bad Dumbledore was, and I'm going to have to read it again if I re-read Book 7. That's why I still haven't read it again.
I hate that old Rita Skeeter. Becoming a bug for her animagus was perfect for her. She bugs me, and she has insectile qualities.

message 31: by michelle (new)

michelle nguyen (SweetLaceCharm) It depends on how many pages there are. It takes me only 2-3 hours to finish Prisoner of Azkaban, but it takes me at least 7-8 hours to read Deathly Hallows.

message 32: by Ahlaam (new)

Ahlaam | 86 comments I started DH in the night and finished it off at the crack of dawn. I was not properly awake for school that day but it was worth it/

message 33: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (DarthSparhawk) 1-2 days per book, not matter how many pages it contains. These books are awesome and you simply can't leave them.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly, though sometimes school stuff holds me back.

message 35: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (georgiapeach8355) | 7 comments I can usually read a book in a day, but I BS around. Its taken me 2 months to get halfway into Goblet of Fire lol

message 36: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess I recently re-read the series.
Keeping in mind, I usually read a 200 page book in about...5-6 days.

Book one: 1 day
Book two: 1 day
Book Three: 3 days
Book Four: 5 days
Book Five: 7 days
Book Six: 3 days
Book Seven: 4 days

message 37: by Issy (new)

Issy | 6 comments I remember I read the 7th book in 2 days and the 5th in 6 days. I don't remember how long I take to read the others.

message 38: by Daph (new)

Daph (Loving Books) (lvngbooks) | 2 comments I think it was like this:
PS: 1 day
CoS: 1 day
PoA: 2 days
GoF: 3 days
OotP: 4 days
HBP: 3 days
DH: 2 days (I was excited, okay?!)

My re-reads take a lot longer, mostly because I don't want to finish the books that quickly.. It was like a frenzy when I got the books to read for the first time. It was insane. I didn't eat, I didn't listen to people talking to me. I was OBSESSED with reading my book. I got DH as a gift for my driver's license and I couldn't wait till the person who gave it to me left, so I could read the book!

I just finished re-reading CoS and I'm going to start PoA later this week (I have more books on my shelves.. They need some love too!)

message 39: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess The worst thing about Harry Potter is that when you finish, it is impossible to enjoy other books for a month.
Well, at least for me it is.

message 40: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Hamlet (potterman201) | 189 comments Booklover23 wrote: "The worst thing about Harry Potter is that when you finish, it is impossible to enjoy other books for a month.
Well, at least for me it is."

That is the singel reason why I don't reread the books every year (just once eevery few) because I can't take anything else seriously for like two weeks.

message 41: by diamond (new)

diamond (gamagoori) | 5 comments I read very fast. It took me about 12 hours to read Deathly Hallows. I didn't do anything that entire day. I got it around 9 in the morning and finished it that night. I hate when I speed read through a book because it's so good, I want to keep up with it as if it were a film. It makes me sad once it's over.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I read regularly at the same speed that other people speed-read, so I can finish a page in about 30 seconds. Seriously, my friend counted it up.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I read all the books in a month but I think I could go faster. I agree with the whole noticing more things the second time around.

AAAAA Harry potter is amazing!

message 44: by Dead (new)

Dead (marcwashere) | 9 comments i read all the books in two weeks