European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Nominations > Nominating & Voting - How It Works

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (last edited Nov 09, 2011 07:14AM) (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments For those of you new to the group, I thought I would lay out how the nominating and voting generally work here.

1ST OF THE MONTH

Each month (around the 1st), I start a nominating thread. We nominate books by theme (this is because at one point we were reading a ton of Tudor and Richard III books and wanted to guarantee some variety).

Once the nominating thread is posted, anyone who would like to nominate one book (based on the theme) may do so in that thread. I will let people know what the theme is at the top of the thread (bolded and in all caps so people see it clearly). We certainly allow flexibility within the themes (so Eleanor of Aquitaine could satisfy an English or French theme, Catherine de Medici could satisfy an Italian or French theme, a book that at least hits the year 1800 or 1899 could satisfy an 1800s theme, etc.)

All we ask is that you please try to check amazon or some other site to make sure the book is easily available - the last thing we want is to nominate some great book that no one can get!

In addition, if you nominate more than one book, only the first book listed will make it into the voting thread (so save additional books for the next months!). And lastly, if the book simply doesn't match the theme of the month, I won't post it for voting that month, but I will carry it over to the next month that it would work within a theme if you so desire.

5TH OF THE MONTH

People can feel free to nominate one book of their choice in the nominating thread until I close the thread (my goal is 9pm on the 5th of each month but I'll put the date in the thread). At around that time, I'll make a voting poll and list all the nominated books in the poll.

10TH OF THE MONTH

Once the voting poll is created, people can vote until the poll closes. When the voting poll closes, I'll start a general thread for the chosen book under the E. Royalty Monthly Group Read heading (for an explanation of how this type of thread works, just look at what I have up right now for the upcoming monthly read - it's the same each month).

15TH OF THE FOLLOWING MONTH

Discussions start on the 15th of the FOLLOWING month. So if voting takes place during the first days of June, the discussion will start on July 15th. This will allow people to have a little over one month to find the book selected.

ANYONE can NOMINATE and ANYONE can VOTE - it doesn't matter if you are new to the group or have been here since the beginning! I'll leave this thread open in case anyone has questions about the process.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments I updated the above "How it Works" to incorporate our new use of polls (nothing exciting - I'm only adding this comment because I wanted the new date to pop up on the home page).

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments I updated the above to incorporate our one-month early voting.

message 4: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Thanks Sara, this is really clear!

message 5: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments where is the poll for July 15-Aug 15?

message 6: by Sara W (last edited Jul 05, 2011 06:30PM) (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Krystal wrote: "where is the poll for July 15-Aug 15?"

After a poll ends (I set an end date so it shuts off automatically), you can find any poll by going to the "polls" link at the top, right-hand corner of any page in this group (home page, this page, etc.).

When a poll is active, you can find it in that same location I just described (going through the "polls" link), or you can find it all the way at the bottom of the group's home page (on the actual home page).

The poll for July 15-Aug 15 is closed, so you can only get to it through the "polls" link.

Hope this helps!

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (Sophie_Perinot) | 7 comments Can someone explain to me where/how I can find the polls so that I can vote this month?

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 187 comments On the right hand side, there is a list of links which says "group home, bookshelf, discussions, etc". At the bottom of the list should be "POLLS". Click that, the top poll should be the most recent.

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (Sophie_Perinot) | 7 comments Oh Robin thank you so much!

message 10: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 19 comments Hi are you able to get to polls on the mobile apps? I can't get on a pc at the moment and I want to vote on the monthly read but don't know how to from my phone.

message 11: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Nikki wrote: "Hi are you able to get to polls on the mobile apps? I can't get on a pc at the moment and I want to vote on the monthly read but don't know how to from my phone."

I have an android-based phone, and the Goodreads app on that doesn't seem to pull up the polls for the group. I'm not sure if apps for other phones (like the iPhone) might be different. Does your phone have a general web browser? If so, you could try pulling up the goodreads website itself and click through to the polls from the group's main page (might be tiny though unless you are able to zoom).

That being said, all the voting polls for this group are currently closed (the latest one closed on the 16th), so you aren't missing out on any right now (I apologize if my initial post in this thread says something else - I can't remember when I last updated it so some things may be a little off).

Do you generally not have access to a computer, or do you just not have access at the moment? I send out an email to the group when the poll opens, and the poll is usually open for 4-5 days, so if you just don't have access right now, you'll probably be okay for future polls. If you generally don't have access to a computer though, I'll try to think of some way to count your vote (because other people may have the same problem).

To be completely honest, what the phones apps offer never crossed my mind before, so I'm glad you brought this up. I'll try to remember to put the poll closing date in the nominating threads when I close those threads so people on mobile devices are aware of it and try to get to a computer.

message 12: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 19 comments I missed the voting but it's ok as the one I wanted for picked anyway! :-) I can access on a computer it's just not as easy as on my phone and i dont go on it very often. I think your right though I think polls have been left off the apps. I had a look and it is possible to get them by pulling up the Goodreads site in the browser although a bit fiddly when you get there. I think I will be emailing Goodreads and suggesting it for a future update of the apps.

message 13: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments FYI - I need to tweak this "how it works" but right now we're doing one group read every two months (first read being Mar. 1 - Apr. 30).

unread topics | mark unread