What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-fi: A book set in our future with anti-aging 'treatments' and a cult plan to mass suicide to reduce world overpopulation [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dennis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Dennis | 3 comments I can't for the life of me recall the name of this book. The general story goes:

The world is facing over-population and a new religous zelot is trying to convince 50% of the population to commit mass suicide. To try to prevent this, the government hires a man whos job is to 'audit' people.. Essentially, he has access to everything everywhere.. Kinda like a diplomat. Well, the religious guy has someone hack the anti-aging treatment system and the auditor can't get his 'updates' anymore... so he is slowly dying of old age.

Parts I can recall:

The auditor and his wife are on the run because of their identity being hacked.

Money is almost never used and is brightly colored.

They are served 'rat' burger at a diner and piss off the owner because of their reaction to it.

The religous zelot turns out to be a scientist who has been taking aging treatments to further his image. He at one point in the past had a genetic experiment making a group of super-smart children that end up helping the protagonist in the end.

Any help would be GREAT, I've been trying to remember this for years....

~dennis

message 2: by Dennis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Dennis | 3 comments This doesn't seem to be the one:

[i]The Edict : Max Ehrlich (1)
In a world overflowing with people, an edict is issued for zero population growth, no new children for thirty years on penalty of death for parents and child. [/i]

The government wasn't involved with the suicide pact that the cult was planning.

Thanks though. =-)

~Gav

message 3: by Corbett (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Corbett | 23 comments That sounds like a good book. As much as I have read I don't recall that one, started sounding a little like Robert Heinlein. It also sounds a little like Make Room, Make Room (can't remember the author) but I don't think either of those are it.

message 4: by Dennis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Dennis | 3 comments No, none of these books are the one I was looking for, though Buying Time seems to be an interesting story. I even believe the term was 'life extension', though it was required far more often that 10-12 years.

~Gav

message 5: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 200 comments Holy Fire by Bruce Sterling? I didn't see anything about suicide pacts, and the protagonist is female, but the Publisher's Weekly review sounds similar:

"In Sterling's late 21st century, advances in cybernetics, nano- and virtual technology and medicine have transformed Earth into a near paradise. Vice and illness still exist, but they're largely voluntary or self-created, the result of not controlling one's appetites and not using the medical facilities provided free to those who live socially acceptable lifestyles. Mia Ziemann is a 94-year-old medical economist in a world ruled by a "post-human" gerontocracy. Life-extension technology is the world's major growth industry and Mia, like many of the elderly, has invested everything into qualifying for new and experimental rejuvenation techniques. After undergoing one of the most radical such procedures, Mia can now pass for 20 but is borderline psychotic. She trades her careful, upscale existence for life on the streets with the restless young, wandering through Europe in search of stimulus and meaning. There, she finds herself surrounded by artists, anarchists and bohemians who, frustrated by their powerlessness, want to involve her in a radical scheme to change the world."

Okay, I'm pretty sure this isn't it, but I hope it can lead you to the real thing!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Soilent green? Not sure of the spelling. It was made into a movie and it was by a famous author in the 70's but I can't remember who.
Doesn't exactly sound like the same plot except the government "offered" this wonderful euthanasia plan to alleviate overpopulation that you didn't really understand was that until the movie got rolling.
One scene in the movie was the "patient/old fogey" was ushered into this clinic type place then into a lovely inner room and hooked up to something while the whole wall was turned into a movie screen (hi def no less) showing a scene of a beautiful wooded landscape.
There were a few more twists but I won't reveal them here incase this is it. I never read the book-just saw the movie.

message 7: by Cayr (new)

Cayr (cawulff) | 10 comments Dennis, it sounds a little bit like Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood.

"Margaret Atwood depicts a near-future world that turns from the merely horrible to the horrific, from a fool's paradise to a bio-wasteland. Snowman (a man once known as Jimmy) sleeps in a tree and just might be the only human left on our devastated planet. He is not entirely alone, however, as he considers himself the shepherd of a group of experimental, human-like creatures called the Children of Crake. As he scavenges and tends to his insect bites, Snowman recalls in flashbacks how the world fell apart. Eventually Crake's experiments in bioengineering cause humanity's shockingly quick demise (with uncanny echoes of SARS, ebola, and mad cow disease), leaving Snowman to try to pick up the pieces."

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Sullivan | 1 comments I recall a similar or it could be the same novel, there was a global political movement that was contesting and winning elections on a platform of all the population agreeing to take a pill that would kill one tenth of the population. I seem to recall that there was some advanced psychological software or system that could the auditing you're referring to. the backdrop was the election for the US Presidency, I think the Indian elections were part of the background too. I can't remember if the one in ten death rate was a fake and it could kill more if the sudden loss of one tenth of humanity would actually be so damaging to humanity that the species would go into an irresistible decline. And that was the real intention of the person behind the campaign.

message 9: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4064 comments This is marked as Solved but it isn't clear which book it was for? Dennis, did you find the book?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36865 comments Mod
It's possible the book was identified in the thread by someone but that person later deleted their account and all their GR comments along with it.

Certainly the [s] suggests the book was shelved.