Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Ideal Reading Environment

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) What is your ideal reading environment?

Mine is a room by myself, where it is quiet, by a fireplace and with a nice cup of hot cocoa. Perfection.

message 2: by Steve (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Steve haha, Seth.

I like reading on trains and planes. White noise of the train rolling on the tracks or the plane coasting through the air with the hum of the engines. And being stuck on the train/plane with nothing else to do helps me plow the pages. I actually dislike reading in complete silence. And I don't read quite as much at home b/c of various distractions.

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Reading on the bus passes time for me.

message 4: by Rindis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Rindis Generally, I need a place that has a book in it. Fortunately, I usually remember to bring my own.

message 5: by Ellis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Ellis | 49 comments A dark, cold, rainy day, ALONE in my house (a rarity--i have a 1 yr old, a husband, a dog, a cat and a rabbit--one of them is USALLY asking for something) snuggled up with a blanket and my favorite chair. It's such a rarity for me to have this kind of solace that I'll often wake up in the middle of the night and read for an hour or two while it's quiet and everyone is asleep. It's wreaking havoc on my mental health, I'm sure, but it's as close to heaven as I can get these days.

message 6: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Rachael | 23 comments One of my favorite places to read is outside infront of a fire.

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I love rainy days in my chair in front of the fire with a hot coffee, or rainy days in the bookshop in a comfy chair with a hot coffee (notice a pattern here?), or sunny days by the pool with a pina colada.

Those are ideal, of course. But I can read anywhere.

message 8: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Elizabeth I like to be somewhere comfy, but not too comfy... a little white noise but nothing too much...

message 9: by pop (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

pop a private place with a comfy place to sit, and decent lighting that's not too bright in the room but hits the book well. I often read in bed with a wedge shaped pillow thing behind me so I can read comfortably. I have the lighting set up just right for that.

message 10: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Doina | 58 comments i love reading in my living room, late at night when no one is awake. hot cup of tea next to me, and some jazz in the background, it's heaven. (and since i have insomnia anyway, it usually is the best time for me to read) i did notice that i can read anywhere, no matter how noisy it is. as long as i can read for at least half an hour with no interruptions i am fine reading anywhere. it bugs me when i get interrupted because i don't like to put a book down once i start, and it is very rare that i don't finish a book in one setting. (not that i finish books in half an hour-i wish-think of how many books you can read in a lifetime if that would be the case)

message 11: by Robbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore I have two favorite places. One is in my hammock chair on the back porch. The chair was a gift for mother's day or my birthday one year, and my husband even bought me a book to go with it. My other favorite is in the bathtub. Either setting can be even better with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, depending on the time of day.

message 12: by Reza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Reza | 5 comments Three ideal scenarios:

1. Early morning in my living room, stretched out on the couch with a cup of coffee.

2. Afternoon sitting outside, with the sun shining on my face and birdies chirping in my ear.

3. In the evening, curled up in bed.

message 13: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Meghan My parents used to have this hideously orange, oddly shaped chair that I just loved to read in. I don't think I've ever been able to duplicate the perfectness of this reading chair since.

I do love sitting in a coffee shop with a fresh brewed cup of mocha. But it's also 'cause I like to people watch, so that's a bit distracting from the reading part.

But pretty much, I'm a "have time, will read" kind of person. No real preference to place.

message 14: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Kate | 18 comments Two ideal scenarios:

In my big, overstuffed chair, under a blanket with a cup of tea on the coffee table.

On my linai (fancy Florida term for "screened-in porch") on the chaise lounge chairs in the sunshine.

But I will read anytime, anywhere. I read at stoplights (not the ideal situation, but when you have to read, you have to read).

message 15: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Stephanie | 5 comments I have definitely fantasized about being given a 20 year sentence at a country club prison so I can catch up on my reading. Of course, I know there is no such thing as a "country club prison," but the thought of being confined to a room with no pesky distractions like the phone, Internet, housework, yard work, work work, and chores has definite appeal.

Drawbacks: I would miss my cat in prison. Also my husband.

message 16: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Tara (tara_n) | 22 comments Ideal reading environment, hmm, let's see.

My Judge has this amazing recliner chair in his office. Sometimes I sit in it when we are interviewing children and he has said we can crash in it any time, which is awfully nice of him :). Anyway, that chair would be ideal for curling up in with a good book and getting some serious reading completed. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to get it out of his office and into my home without him noticing.

Another ideal situation would be lying on a porch swing, on a huge porch, swinging in the breeze surrounded by stacks of books so I can don't have to get up and go inside the house to get my next book. All the stacks have to be within arms' reach, or I have to have a well-trained dog who brings me the next book when I ask. That would be fantastic!

In reality, I usually read while riding the light rail to work, which sometimes can be fun. But, usually it is a rocky experience and there's always the risk of being distracted by the bodily gases of those around me. It happened today as a matter of fact. I also read at my desk during my lunch hour. Not very comfortable, but I'm a book addict, and the addiction must be fed!

message 17: by Kellie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Kellie (krheck) | 14 comments Lying in bed at night, I can't even go to sleep until I have read.

I have a chair and ottoman in the living room, next to the window and by the fireplace that is perfect and the futon in the sunroom is also really nice.

I have a hard time reading when there are too many auditory distractions (loud TV, etc).