Nordic Noir discussion

General > Introductions

Comments (showing 1-50 of 451) (451 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments Tell us a little bit about yourself and when you first discovered Nordic Noir as a genre?

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam Hey everybody, I'm Pam. Thanks for the invite Naomi. I am married, retired, mother of 2 grown children and Nana to 2 beautiful granddaughters. We live in the suburbs of St. Louis, Missouri.

Oh and I don't think that I have ever read any Nordic Noir books. But, I'm a gamer and will give it a try.

message 3: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Hi I'm Diane. It's an honor and a priviliege to be invited into a group at the very beginnings. Thanks Naomi. Live in Batavia, Il and have 7 children and 8 grandchildren with one on the way. I love Nordic fiction and have read it for years.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam Hi Diane.

I went to google and I realized that I have read a Nordic Noir when I read Smilla's Sense of Snow.

message 5: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments hi Dee - found NN through Steig Larsson's books...then randomly picked up a James Thompson and I was hooked

message 6: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Hi I'm Dianne I don't think I have read a Nordic Noir book either it dose look interesting. And Nordic men are pretty good looking. Thanks for the invite Naomi.

message 7: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) | 80 comments Hi, I'm Marilyn from Charlotte NC. I discovered the Nordic writers when I read and love Stieg Larrson. Have read a few more and have liked what I have read.

message 8: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 3 comments I'm still trying to work my way through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

message 9: by James (new)

James Thompson (JamesThompson) | 228 comments Howdy, I'm Jim, better known as James Thompson, author of the Inspector Vaara series. It's Finnish noir. I'm an American but have lived in Helsinki for 13 years. Thanks for having me in your group.
Best, Jim

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam Magpie67 wrote: "I'm still trying to work my way through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

I tried twice and never could get through it either time.

message 11: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi Blackburn (nblackburn) | 932 comments Hey Jim! Did you find your threads?

message 12: by James (new)

James Thompson (JamesThompson) | 228 comments Threads?

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Hi! I'm Martha and I love the Millenium trilogy. I have Faceless Killers to read ... love the tv series, Wallender. Thanks for the invite to this group.
Oh, I'm a mother of 3 grown sons & 5 grandchildren. I'm a Special Olympics coach for my son's group of athletes. I'm thinking of retiring ... or at least cutting my schedule back so we can travel more and I can read more. My husband hopes I'll cook more, but I don't really see that happening! :-D

message 14: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments James wrote: "Threads?"

here you go!
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6... - you have your own thread ;)

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian Hi, I'm Brian. I love to read, cook, hike, & study anything connected to Natural History, especially birds. I am married and have two daughters who are in high school. I have a disease called Charcot Marie Tooth disease, it is a neuro muscular disease. I encourage you to learn more about this disease with a funny name. Knowledge is strength!
http://help4cmt.com/

Thanks for the invite my good friend.

Looking forward to talking to new people, & reading a new genre.
Brian

message 16: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Burgess | 1 comments Hi, I'm Lynn. Thanks to Naomi for the invitation! This is an entirely new genre for me, so any explanations and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to the discussions.

message 17: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Alicia from Canada here. In terms of nordic crime, I've really only read the Millenium trilogy so far, but I've been eyeing the Wallander books for some time and have been meaning to get around to them as well as bunch of other swedish books I've heard good things about. I look forward to seeing lots of recommendations and discussion here. Cheers!

message 18: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 3 comments Pam wrote: "Magpie67 wrote: "I'm still trying to work my way through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

I tried twice and never could get through it either time."

Good to know I'm not alone.... :o)

message 19: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Magpie67 wrote: "Pam wrote: "Magpie67 wrote: "I'm still trying to work my way through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

I tried twice and never could get through it either time."

Good to know I'..."

joining the club on that one never even made it to my TBR list

message 20: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi Blackburn (nblackburn) | 932 comments Welcome to all the newbies!!

message 21: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) | 80 comments To all those who can't get into TGWTDT, you need to read at least 100 pages in to get past the financial babble part and then the story really begins. The financial part is important to the story as you will find out. I loved that book even though it took a while for the story to start.

message 22: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Yes, if that's what's keeping you from reading the story, please do stick with it. You won't be sorry. It is an excellent mystery, but that first part is incredibly dull.

message 23: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments i recommend if you are having a hard time reading TGWTDT that you try the audiobook - Simon Vance who did the narration is great

message 24: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) | 80 comments If you don't read THWTDT you won't read TGWPWF which was my favorite of the trilogy.

message 25: by James (new)

James Thompson (JamesThompson) | 228 comments Thanks Dee,

I stuck my bio on the thread. I guess that's the general idea isn't it? This is this first group like this I've actively participated in, so I'm not exactly sure how everything works.

Best, Jim

message 26: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 3 comments If I don't like the first book much at all...... I won't read 2 or 3, but I will keep trying with this one.

:o)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Hi all, I'm Lyn. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California, but grew up in Florissant, Mo, which is outside Saint Louis. I am the mother of two boys, 21 and 22, who both attend Oregon State University. Other than that, I like to read, knit, crochet, cook, and take photographs.

As for NN, my first book in this genre was TGWTDT, which I loved. Then Naomi and Dee got me hooked on a few others and I found that I really like this genre.

message 28: by Lisa B. (new)

Lisa B. Hi - I'm Lisa - and Lyn M - I currently live in Florissant, MO! Holy smokes - small world. I read TGWTDT - loved it. Have not read 2 or 3 yet. I heard the audio books were very good.

Jim - I have your book Snow Angels at my house right now. It is next in line on my TBR - Dee and Naomi said it was "twisted" so how could I not check that out?!?!?

I am currently reading The Keeper of Lost Causes. About half wat through and it is excellent! This was from netgalley.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Lisa B. wrote: "Hi - I'm Lisa - and Lyn M - I currently live in Florissant, MO! Holy smokes - small world. I read TGWTDT - loved it. Have not read 2 or 3 yet. I heard the audio books were very good.

Jim - I ..."

Wow, Lisa--that is funny. I moved out here a LONG time ago, but I still miss some things about living there, but I do not miss the weather and tornadoes, I can tell you that much. It must be a lot more built up than when I was there.

message 30: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi Blackburn (nblackburn) | 932 comments That is CRAZZZYYYY

message 31: by Lisa B. (new)

Lisa B. I lived in Florissant from 5th grade until I was 22. Moved out, eventually got married, spent 7yrs in TX. When we moved back, we ended in N STL county, and then when my Dad passed away, moved back to Florissant to take care of my elderly Mom. When I saw Lyn post Florissant, MO - I thought - no way.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) My whole family (both parents, grandparents, great grandparents) lived in that area. We moved out here about 40 years ago, though, when my dad got transferred in his job. Now we live in the small town where my husband grew up.

message 33: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (JennyIL) | 20 comments I have a friend who loves mysteries and who discovered Stieg Larsson in London and Hong Kong when he was first published in English. She raved about his books and Henning Mankell. I finally read all three of Stieg Larsson's books and am halfway through Roseanna one of Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo's Martin Beck mysteries.

I live north of Chicago in Illinois. I have a son in college and a daughter in high school, two dogs, two cats and a hamster. I love to read.

message 34: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi Blackburn (nblackburn) | 932 comments Welcome Jenny!

message 35: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments welcome Jenny!

message 36: by Briarlie (new)

Briarlie (librarie) Hi all,
I'm Briarlie, a Brit living in Norway. I mainly read crime/mystery and I think my first Nordic book would probably have been one of Henning Mankell's Wallander books. Since moving here, I've been trying to read some Norwegian writers in the original language. I'm working through Jo Nesbø's books but it is slow work for me compared to reading in English! I'll be reading the next one in English as a friend has given me a copy of The Devil's Star. I read the other Nordic writers in English e.g. The Millenium Trilogy, Wallander series.

message 37: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi Blackburn (nblackburn) | 932 comments Welcome Briarlie..thanks for accepting my friend request, btw!!

message 38: by Pam (new)

Pam Welcome to the group Briarlie.

message 39: by Beth (new)

Beth Harati | 6 comments Hello! I live in Woodstock, Ga. It is a suburb of Atlanta. I have lived in Georgia all my life - all 57 yrs. I fell in love with mysteries at an early age - working my way throuh all the Nancy Drew novels then my friend Jimmy's Hardy Boys. :-). I then discovered Agatha Christie & she truly spoiled me! I am always looking for new writers so several yrs ago I read Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg. I am not sure what I read next but I have read several of Henning Mankell's novels & loved them. I also read TGWTDT when it first came out & drove several of my friends crazy talking about it. I am currently reading Nemesis by Jo Nesbo. I love learning about areas of the world via books so I think that is one reason I am drawn to the Nordic Noir novels. I am a very visual person so I enjoy looking up pictures of the areas mentioned in the novels. I have found the novels to be as a whole, excellent mysteries. I am excited about joining this group.

message 40: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi Blackburn (nblackburn) | 932 comments Hey Beth...welcome...

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth Harati | 6 comments Naomi wrote: "Hey Beth...welcome..."

Thank you Naomi. I am looking forward to finding some great new books!

message 42: by Annie (new)

Annie (atchanks) Hello everyone!

I loved Smilla's Sense of Snow. Years later, a friend insisted I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I have steadily been devouring Nordic crime/mystery novels since.

I can't wait to learn about new authors or books I haven't read yet.

message 43: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments hi Annie - welcome to the group - hopefully you can join us in the group read of Snow Angels

message 44: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi Blackburn (nblackburn) | 932 comments Welcome, Annie...

message 45: by Marie (new)

Marie Craig | 4 comments Hello all!

This is the first group I've posted on since joining Goodreads.

I'm from Birmingham in the UK and I first discovered Nordic Noir by reading Steig Larsson's trilogy. I'm currently working my way through a few of Jo Nesbo's novels and I'm really looking forward to being introduced to some new authors.

message 46: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi Blackburn (nblackburn) | 932 comments Welcome, Marie! Be sure to take a look at our Authors area..there are alot of authors you might want to take a look at!

message 47: by Marie (new)

Marie Craig | 4 comments Thank you Naomi! I have Snow Angels ready to go on my Kindle as soon as I've finished Jo Nesbo's Headhunters. Thanks to this group I will not have to spend ages wondering what to read next like I usually do.

message 48: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi Blackburn (nblackburn) | 932 comments Is Headhunters Jo's new one???

message 49: by Marie (new)

Marie Craig | 4 comments Yes, it is. Speaking as someone who is quite keen on Harry Hole, I'm struggling to get my head around the main character Roger Brown. I'm only 25% in, but it does have a very different feel to the Harry Hole series.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all,

I'm new to even the fact that Nordic Noir exists as a genre. I recently finished the Steig Larsson Millennium trilogy and need to get my hands on something of the like - nothing I've read since has been as satisfying.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Smilla's Sense of Snow (other topics)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (other topics)
Faceless Killers (other topics)
Snow Angels (other topics)
The Keeper of Lost Causes (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karin Fossum (other topics)
Håkan Nesser (other topics)
Jo Nesbø (other topics)
Karen Alvtegen (other topics)
Camilla Läckberg (other topics)
More...