The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Anyone Read THE MASTER PLANETS Yet??

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donitello (last edited Feb 23, 2009 03:22PM) (new)

Donitello Hey there, folks!

The Master Planets, a debut novel by Donald Gallinger, just came out, and it is quite amazing. (I know that word is used a lot, but this time it's merited.) I read the book in two sittings, and a lot of people are writing that they read it in one! In short, this is a true Can't-Put-It-Down book. It's getting very strong editorial reviews, as well ("magnificent," "unforgettable," "remarkable," "bravura treatment," etc. etc.). So my question is, who else has read it, and WHAT DID YOU THINK?

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments I am intrigued. I asked about it at the library and at Borders last nite. They didn't have it.

message 3: by Donitello (last edited Oct 06, 2008 03:47PM) (new)

Donitello Well, that's interesting, because I got mine at Borders. But they did have to to order it for me.

(BTW, this is common with chain stores -- they won't take a chance stocking a novel by a new author, preferring to wait till a customer requests the book. Also BTW, that's why we need independent bookstores -- they don't just order titles based on projected sales, but sometimes bring in "wild card" books that they're personally excited about. Indies have often gotten worthy books noticed which the public would never have heard of otherwise. I guess the moral for us all is: SUPPORT YOUR INDIE BOOKSTORES!!)

If you don't have an independent store nearby, try Amazon -- they definitely have it. You can also read the Amazon reader reviews, all of which are as excited as mine, BTW.

Really looking forward to hearing your opinion! I just adored this book!

message 4: by Donitello (new)

Donitello No one's read the book yet? I'm dying to discuss it. It's my "best new book" for 2008.

message 5: by Donitello (new)

Donitello Okay, so by now I'm SURE some Goodreads members have read this book. My own local book group just discussed it, and had great things to say. (One member: "It's both beautiful AND a fun read. You don't often get both things in one book." My feeling exactly!)

So what do you say? Does anyone want to talk about this complex and compelling book? A single two-hour discussion just touched the surface for me.

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Doni, if you post this is two place, you won't keep the conversation consistent. I feel it is better suited in the "Wanna Discuss THis Novel" folder, only because you arent asking for recommendations based on it. Just a thought.

message 7: by Donitello (new)

Donitello Good point. Okay.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Master Planets (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Donald Gallinger (other topics)