Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Combining the Books with Tons o' Comments

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new)

Rob McMonigal | 12 comments Will there ever be the ability to combine the books with lots of comments already stored? I know that's not possible now, but it's a little annoying not to be able to see all the comments on a particular book without going through the various editions. This happens mostly with the classics, naturally.

-Rob

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 38 comments Yeah, I'd love to see that too.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

rivka | 36301 comments Mod
I'm confused. While it isn't possible to delete an edition with many reviews, it certainly is possible to combine editions -- or it was the last time I tried!

Can you give an example of one that cannot be combined?

message 4: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Rob McMonigal | 12 comments When I tried on Treasure Island, the only options it gave me were ones with the same publisher.

-Rob

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Usually, the only times I haven't been able to combine books is when an author has more than one spelling for their name; that can be fixed by editing the author's name in the mismatching editions.

There's a bunch of Treasure Island books where the author's name is misspelled, I see. I fixed one and found 4 others to combine so there are 171 vs. 166 combined. Some of those MIGHT need to be separated; I didn't look. There are others with misspellings still. No time now to fix. But most of the editions appear to be combined. Treasure Island is also in books with other books and those can never be combined, so reviews & comments from those books will remain separate. Ah well.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

I fixed all the alternate author spellings I found, and combined editions. I think I got them all, but probably a good idea if someone else double-checked.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Youre so good Rivka! Sometimes I get so lazy. Although I did go in and combine all of one author's books just a bit ago when saw one of them on home page and decided to add some more that I read. My energy comes in spurts.

Found one more Stevensen and fixed & combined, but didn't check to see if any needed separating. Treasure Island is just overwhelming. Although it can be really fun to combine books!

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Oh, I get lazy too. :) But it's a Sunday afternoon, and the kids are at their dad's. (And if I do stuff here, I can feel productive AND avoid doing the work I brought home. So it's a win-win! ;) )

message 9: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Rivka & Lisa,

You guys rock :)

Otis