The History Book Club discussion

WELCOME AND MODERATOR'S CORNER > THE MODERATOR'S CORNER - ANNOUNCEMENTS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 443 (443 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jun 27, 2009 07:07PM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
The moderators want to welcome you to The History Club. Here is where we will post updated membership information.

You may have just noticed that some of the folders and threads have been moved. We are archiving the older threads into separate archival locations sorted by title. Any member need only to select "view all" to see completed titles, discussions, and/or other threads.

Bentley

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 25, 2009 08:02AM) (new)

Hello All,

A couple of things:

If you want to weigh in on future discussion topics or selected books, please make sure you do the following:

a) Vote in the polls and for the final list.

b) Send the title/author of any book you would like placed on the potential reading list to Bentley

c) Select a book that you would like to lead a discussion on and notify us of your intent; we would be happy to open up a thread and let the membership know about your upcoming discussion. (Non fiction historical books). I think you would have fun with the experience. We would love to share some of the moderating duties and it would allow the club to offer additional reading alternatives for discussion.

Bentley

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited May 30, 2009 07:18AM) (new)

Hello All,

A few things -

RE: POLLS:

First, the current poll ends on June 5th; so if you haven't voted..make sure you get your vote counted for the books you like the most. This is how we determine what we are going to read as a group. We are going through the entire potential reading lists and setting up polls to vote on all of the books added by members. This should help pare down the list.

RE: POTENTIAL READING LIST:

Secondly, if you have any potential books that are not included in either of the potential reading lists; all you have to do is to send me a note with the title and the author and I will add them immediately. This way your personal choices can be added to one of the future polls.

RE: NEW SPOTLIGHTED DISCUSSION - FROM DAWN TO DECADENCE:

Third, we will be beginning a new discussion on June 1st for From Dawn to Decadence This is a member selected book; so we hope to see you there; Oldesq and I do not want to talk about these books alone. Rick, I noticed that you are way ahead in the book so I hope you join these discussions since you seem to have made a real dent in the book already.

RE: COMMON SENSE BY THOMAS PAINE BEGINS JUNE 2ND

Fourth, we will be starting Common Sense by Thomas Paine and this is an easy read (only a few pages). Remember though.. Paine is quite a radical sort even for his day.

RE: SECOND WORLD WAR - VOLUME I - STILL OPEN; NEW LOCATION:

Fifth, for those folks still reading Churchill's Second World War - Volume I; please keep reading and posting. We have moved the discussions to the topic area called Archive - Second WW. But all of the threads are STILL OPEN AND WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL WE COMPLETE FROM DAWN TO DECADENCE. This will give everyone a chance to catch up. Oldesq and I (at the very least) will respond to you and we look forward to hearing from all of you. So do not be shy if you are still reading Churchill; we will continue the discussion.

RE: ROANOKE BOOK:

Sixth, I will try to get back to the Roanoke book and will post; I hope that some of you will join me. Even if you have not read the book; but have just an opinion on the subject matter... we would like to hear from you.

RE: GUEST MODERATION:

Seventh, if you would like to guest moderate a book; please let me know and I will set up a thread for you; this is not a permanent commitment just a commitment for one book; the more people who volunteer the more robust our group will be.

RE: BILL OF RIGHTS, AMENDMENTS, ARTICLES OF CONFEDERATION

Eighth, the discussions will continue on The Bill of Rights, the Amendments, and the Articles of Federation. The Bill of Rights and the Amendments' threads will become permanent fixtures; as there is always something going on in everyday current events and court case that references them. This always makes for some lively discussions.

RE: NEW OFF TOPIC CAFE CALLED THE VIEW

Ninth, we will begin a new Off Topic Cafe called The View. In the book From Dawn to Decadence many of Barzun's chapters are called The View From a particular location. We try to open a new Off Topic Cafe which matches something about the spotlighted book we are reading.

RE: SUPPLEMENTAL THREADS :

Tenth, we have opened up some new threads for From Dawn to Decadence which are supplemental threads. These are not non - spolier threads;anything can be discussed on these threads. The weekly threads are the only ones non-spoiler. We have already opened up a thread on quotes from the book and one on helpful websites, urls, and other helpful information which will assist us in understanding Barzun's book (our glossary).

RE: SUGGESTIONS:

Eleventh, we will be opening up a Suggestions Thread so we can hear from all of you.

FOLKS, THERE IS A REQUIREMENT FOR POSTING; EVEN IF IT IS JUST ON THE OFF TOPIC THREADS - WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU

Finally, please post; we always have the Off Topic Cafe where you can discuss your interests and opinions.. music, art, opera, jazz, sports, current events, you name it; so there should be no excuse for not posting to say hello. Everyone who posts helps contribute to the vitality of the group.

Bentley

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

All,

We have opened up a current events thread; please feel free to post anything about the current day's news or events. If there are some books or works which would help shed some light on the subject or event, please feel free to also add a link to the cover of the book or work; I know that many here would be interested.

Also, feel free to comment and discuss among yourselves any of the current events. Some I know would provide some lively discussion.

Bantley

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jun 08, 2009 08:57AM) (new)

All,

We have added Simon as a moderator. Simon will be helping out with some of the operational elements of the board. Thanks to Simon.

I would like to set up an opportunity for all of you to become a moderator for a book coming up (either a group choice or one of your choosing). Please let me know if you are interested and what book that might be.

For starters, we have two books coming up where there is an opportunity: either the FDR book starting in October or the Federalist Papers. Let me know.
I would be happy to set up the syllabus and the weekly threads for you; all you have to do is to open up each week with questions and comments regarding the weekly reading and respond to posters for the duration of that particular book.

It has been fun for me and it will give all of you a chance to lead a book discussion and see what it is like. We also have the thread where you can select a book of your choice for a monthly discussion (all you have to do is to let me know and discuss what non fiction book you are interested in doing). Would love to hear from you.

Bentley

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

FOLKS,

THERE IS A NEW THREAD: INSIDE IRAN.

I have moved over most of the Iran postings to the new thread. There just seems to be quite a bit in the news regarding Iran and its own thread seems reasonable right now. This frees up the current events thread - Today in the News.

If I notice that one current events topic once again needs its own thread; I will set it up. If there is a current events topic that you would like me to set up a thread for, just please let me know.

INTRODUCTIONS

If you are new to the group, remember that one of the t's and c's you agreed to included posting a brief intro on the introduction thread. It does not have to be long; but we do need to have one from everyone. Thanks, it makes everyone feel a bit more comfortable.

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

FOLKS,

SETTING UP A THREAD ON NORTH KOREA:

I think that North Korea has become quite newsworthy again (possibly for all of the wrong reasons) but nevertheless. So once again so as not to overwhelm the Today In the News thread; I will open up a thread in the Current Events section dedicated to discussion about North Korea.

Currently, we have the situation with the two journalists being held, NK's nuclear program, and their plans on July 4th to launch a missile in the direction of Hawaii (what are they thinking?).

In advance of their maneuverings, I have opened a thread to discuss these situations and the potential repercussions.

Bentley

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jun 23, 2009 06:16PM) (new)

All,

NEW MEMBERS ONLY:

I verified that all new members have been sent upcoming start dates for books, pamphlets, charter docs already scheduled through end of year. Only members who are new and did not receive them originally will receive them "now".

Remember you only get one per selection; if you ignore it or delete it; you will not get any other reminder; if you say yes or maybe; a spot is saved in your profile as "your personal" reminder; you can then change your response at any time.

The above is just an FYI for new members ONLY.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

VACATION:

I will be on vacation from July 2nd through July 12 (approximately). Threads will be opened for those time periods and posts done ahead of time on affected threads.

Please feel free to post on all threads and post commentary wherever and whenever you like, ask questions or give opinions as you would do at any other time. The group site never sleeps so it is always available.

As I will be in transit some of the time and potentially in some areas that do not have wireless; I may not be on as much as I am usually. So to plan ahead, all threads will be opened and/or up to date prior to my leaving and I will post as I can. I will respond to each and every post as I am able and have access.

Bentley

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jun 25, 2009 05:34PM) (new)

All,

Oldesq has been busy at work lately; and cannot carry on with the From Dawn to Decadence discussion due to her schedule. I will take it over in her absence and would love to have any other member assist.

I am sure that this is a great surprise to all of us and of course disappointing.

Additionally, we are always looking for other folks to be moderators and to help out in any capacity; a book now and then or whatever you have time to do. As far as I am concerned all of you are moderators and equal members of the group; the more all of you post the better any group is.

Simon is transitioning in as one of the moderators.

Let me know.

Bentley

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jul 01, 2009 08:01AM) (new)

Hello all,

As Moderators we thought we would share with you some minimal requirements for the History Book Club. We created these requirements for a couple of reasons. First, some of these requirements are to promote active and involved discussions. Second, we wanted to ensure that people who regularly participate in the club’s discussions would have the most say in how it is run.

We ask that you: a) be civil and respectful especially with opposing views; b) post at least once a month on any of the threads; that can be in the Off Topic Cafe where we talk about current events, art, music, global issues, etc.; c) post a brief intro on the introduction thread; d) respond to voting polls (once a year); e) respond to event notifications (so we don’t have to chase you down); and f) be interested in history.

While we don’t expect you to read every title the History Book Club selects, we do ask that you participate in at least one of the book discussions each year. Also, we hope that you have done the reading for those discussions that you choose to join in on.

These minimal requirements will keep the group top notch. We read 50 pages a week because we all have busy lives and we want folks to be able to keep up; at about 7 pages a day, we find this to be doable.

We have decided to increase membership by making the group public; but still maintaining the minimum requirements.

Bentley and Simon

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

REGARDING POLLS:

Tally has been updated

REGARDING FOLDERS AND TOPICS:

Group members will see some updating of text, folders, etc. I have been told by some that they cannot add topics to the existing folders and I am looking into it. However, if you would like to add a topic to an existing folder and cannot do it for any reason, let me know and I would be happy to add it for you. The site has gone through a number of software and design upgrades since the group's inception (I have reached out to goodreads support) but have not heard back from them as yet.

Bentley

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 15, 2009 06:26AM) (new)

Hello Everyone,

NEW DISCUSSIONS:

I have opened up new threads for the following:

GLOBAL FINANCE
FOREIGN AFFAIRS - GENERAL

Please feel free to add to the above.

DISCUSSION ON THE CONSTITUTION HAS BEGUN.

a) Please join in on the discussion. Currently, we have opened up discussion on the Preamble.

FROM DAWN TO DECADENCE:

We are continuing our journey through the book From Dawn to Decadence and are making good headway. Please join in on the conversation. It is never too late to get started on one of our spotlighted books and it is never too late to get caught up.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE AUTHORS OR HAVE BLOGS:

There is a section for those who would like to promote their book or blog; please post promotional materials in that section only.

POLLS:

There will be a new poll kicked off this weekend. Look for it and please participate.

I AM LOOKING FOR A BOOK ON.........?

For those of you who are looking for specific books on specific subjects, we have opened up a thread to help with your search. We will try to help you out as much as we can. Folks, please join in on helping and assisting all fellow members who need some assistance in finding specific books.

WHAT IS EVERYBODY READING NOW?

This is a great topical thread where "all" group members can share the titles of the books that they are reading now whether they be fiction or non-fiction and tell the membership what they think about the book and whether they would recommend it to the membership. Everyone can contribute to this thread.

INTRODUCTIONS

One of the group's minimal requirements is that all members introduce themselves in the Introduction thread. Check the thread out and please post a brief intro about yourself. It helps the membership know who you are when you post.

NEXT SPOTLIGHTED BOOK:

After we complete From Dawn to Decadence, we will be beginning a new spotlighted book titled No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II by Doris Kearns Goodwin. This was the fourth book that was voted upon in the last full voting that we conducted last year. We have already completed My Early Life by Winston Churchill, The Histories by Herodotus, and Second World War - Volume One (The Gathering Storm) by Winston Churchill. No Ordinary Time was the book which was in fourth place and that will finally be started in two months time. Currently, we are going through our exhaustive potential reading list and conducting polls to determine which books will make the next four books slotted for the Spotlight Read. Make sure to vote for your favorites because the line up can change from poll to poll until we get through the pass of all of the books on our list. We have a thread which shows the results of the polls thus far. It looks like Keegan's book on the First World War is in first place followed by The History and Decline of the Roman Empire - Volume I by Gibbon. But all of the standings can change until we get through all of the polls. At any time, if any member would like to start one of the books early, by all means, please just send me a note volunteering to moderate the selection that you would like to lead and we will be happy to send out announcements about this ancillary discussion and set up the threads for that discussion. We can have as many discussions open as there are folks who will moderate them; so everyone please jump in and let me know where you would like to assist.

SUGGESTIONS:

We have a suggestion box for those of you who have suggestions that you would like to make.

Welcome all,

Thank you,

Bentley

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Hello Everyone,

We have another new section added to The History Book Club: The Presidential Series.

Please see announcement below:

The Presidential Series will be a folder which will be dedicated to the American Presidency. It will focus on all of the Presidents: the Presidents after the Constitution was ratified starting with George Washington as well as those forgotten Presidents who served loyally and who persevered in some very dubious times when the fledgling union was just taking shape and who served as President of the First and Second Continental Congresses (there were sixteen men who served and are largely forgotten). We can also discuss them, their works and any works about them as well.

We can set up sections about all of the Presidents and we can nominate books that we can read as an ancillary discussion in this group. We anticipate that most of the books in this section are lengthy but we should strive to read them in two months (bimonthly).

We would also hope that we might be able to elicit some input as to some of the books that you might want to place on the Presidential Series Reading List and I will set up a shelf for the Presidential Reads as you make these suggestions.

It would be nice to have someone who is a Presidential enthusiast volunteer to moderate this section or even a small group of folks to keep this segment bustiling along. This section will be in addition to our spotlighted reads; but the spotlighted reads will still remain as they are with a more leisurely reading pace.

We look forward to your input. Since we are just kicking this off and in the spirit of getting this started; we will start with a book that the moderators have begun reading: American Lion Andrew Jackson in the White House.

American Lion Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham

The American Lion will be the read during the months of August and September until we receive suggestions from others as to what other Presidential selections the group is interested in. We are also by the way beginning an FDR book mid October but that is a spotlighted selection (voted for completely by the group membership) and this selection will have a very leisurely syllabus. The book here will move along at a much faster clip and will be either monthly (if they are brief) or bimonthly (if they are not): just two flavors (smile).

Let us know what you think about this new addition to the book club and let Bentley know how you might want to assist. Any assistance is of course appreciated and most welcome.

Bentley

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 27, 2009 07:57AM) (new)

GROUP AVATAR PHOTO AND OTHER PHOTOS ADDED:

Our group avatar photo has been updated to reflect a photo of Andrew Jackson (The American Lion discussion).

This updates the Barzun photo which had been posted for quite awhile. We continuously update the photos to reflect current and/or upcoming discussions. Photos reflect the subject of our historical reads, events and/or authors in some fashion.

Since I discovered the new photo option, I have also added some other good photos of Jackson, FDR, Click. I will continually update these as we read other selections and other authors; sometimes there will be photos of the author and sometimes there will be photos of the subject matter of the book or the person written about.

Bentley

message 16: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Sep 04, 2009 05:50PM) (new)

EVENT NOTIFICATIONS

For those of you who are new to the group, I have forwarded all of the upcoming event notifications related to the group. I hope that you will say yes of course; but this is the explanation why some of you received these all at once. These are ones that other members already received. Any additional questions, please contact me and I will be happy to help out.

Also, by accepting the invitation and replying yes; we know who plans on reading the book and being part of the discussions. A event reminder is placed at the bottom of your profile. At any time, you can change your response. However, by clicking ignore or no; you will have no reminder or record of when the next discussion begins unless you are visiting the group page and the books happen to be spotlighted.

Also, by your acknowledging either yes, maybe or even no (although we hope you will join us); the group moderator has the ability to plan ahead. The moderator has to read all of the books so it would be helpful to them. It also gives them an idea of how popular each choice is or isn't. All spotlighted books are voted upon.

Thank you in advance.

For upcoming books:

There will be an event notification sent out for the November reading of the book A. Lincoln by White sometime this week to all members. There are never any additional reminders sent for any of the books; this is done as an advance heads up for all members so they can plan enough in advance to acquire their copy of the reading material.

I have had requests to send out the event notifications again because someone clicked ignore or no and changed their mind; but this cannot be done for any notification after it has been sent once to any one individual. This is how goodreads has set up the software.

So my advice is to select yes if you are going to read it or maybe if you are still thinking about it; at the very least you will have it still at the bottom of your profile page so you can still change your mind down the road. Otherwise, you will be unfortunately out of luck and will not have the reminder on your profile page. Hope this helps the newcomers understand event notifications and how they are used on this group site.

PS: There may be a way to see past notifications by selecting not to hide them;but I am unsure how long they are still out there.

Bentley

[image error]

message 17: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Sep 22, 2009 10:07PM) (new)

Hello Everyone,

WHAT'S NEW!

PRESIDENTIAL SERIES:

We are gradually trying to set up threads for all of the Presidents. Once I have set up any one of the threads; all of these threads are for you to discuss any one of the Presidents, their biographies, their autobiographical works, their papers, and/or anything else about them.

This set up is part of the Presidential Series segment of The History Book Club. Once I get this set up, I am setting up a Military History segment as promised next; then British History, and World History, Ancient History, etc. and/or other interest areas. Please, of course, post any and all of your suggestions. We always listen and try to set up something that interests all of our members.

We have set up threads for the following US Presidents:

Andrew Jackson
Dwight David Eisenhower
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Abraham Lincoln
John Quincy Adams

UPCOMING BOOK DISCUSSIONS:

Next Charter Document Read - Beginning group discussion on charter document The Declaration of Rights on October 1, 2009

Next Spotlighted Read - Beginning group discussion on the book titled No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II by Doris Kearns Goodwin on October 18, 2009

Next Presidential Series Read - Beginning group discussion for the months of NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER 09 - A. LINCOLN BY RONALD C. WHITE

Next Founding Fathers Read - Beginning group discussion for 85 weeks on The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, John Jay and James Madison - Start date - October 19, 2009

Next Charter Document Read - Beginning group discussion for the Declaration of Independence - Start date - October 30, 2009

CURRENT BOOK DISCUSSIONS:

Presidential Series - The American Lion by Jon Meecham

Spotlighted Book - From Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun

NEW MUSIC THREADS IN THE WORKS - This will be a thread devoted to different genres of music that we listen to while reading our history books

Please look for all of the above.

Bentley

message 18: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1246 comments HI Bentley

Thanks - trying to keep track.

Is there maybe a calander link on the site - do we know?

Thanks

Vince

vince

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

There are event notifications for any upcoming discussion; when everything is set up in advance...all members get ONE notification per upcoming discussion; you should say yes to all of the discussions you believe that you might want to attend.

The notification will then appear at the bottom of your profile until the event starts; and a reminder is always sent out by the goodreads software a week before to remind you.

Other than that I know of no other calendar link.

Bentley

message 20: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Hello Everyone,

WHAT'S NEW!

MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC

We have opened up a "music appreciation thread" to explore different musical tastes while at the same time exploring the recommendations made by Tom Moon in his book 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die. Please feel free to add your own recommendations or artists/genre/albums/tracks you like.

PRESIDENTIAL SERIES:

We are gradually trying to set up threads for all of the Presidents. Once I have set up any one of the threads; all of these threads are for you to discuss any one of the Presidents, their biographies, their autobiographical works, their papers, and/or anything else about them. You can initiate any discussion about any of these presidents in their appropriate thread.

This set up is part of the Presidential Series segment of The History Book Club. Once I get this set up, I am setting up a Military History segment as promised next; then British History, and World History, Ancient History, etc. and/or other interest areas. Please, of course, post any and all of your suggestions. We always listen and try to set up something that interests all of our members.

We have set up threads for the following US Presidents:

Andrew Jackson
Dwight David Eisenhower
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Abraham Lincoln
John Quincy Adams
Barack Obama
Andrew Jackson

UPCOMING BOOK DISCUSSIONS:

Next Spotlighted Read - Beginning group discussion on the book titled No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II by Doris Kearns Goodwin on October 18, 2009

Next Presidential Series Read - Beginning group discussion for the months of NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER 09 - A. LINCOLN BY RONALD C. WHITE

Next Founding Fathers Read - Beginning group discussion for 85 weeks on The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, John Jay and James Madison - Start date - October 19, 2009

Next Charter Document Read - Beginning group discussion for the Declaration of Independence - Start date - October 30, 2009

CURRENT BOOK DISCUSSIONS:

Presidential Series - The American Lion by Jon Meecham (will continue through October 31

Next Charter Document Read - The Declaration of Rights - Kicked off on October 1, 2009

Spotlighted Book - From Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun - only one more week to go on this book; however, I plan to start rereading it a second time - will leave threads open for those who are still catching up - it will be an open archive and I will still be adding to the discussion threads, etc. - so for those of you still interested; it will be open for awhile but just moved from the Spotlighted thread location.

NEW THREADS

We have opened up threads on the following:

BRITISH PARLIAMENT/GOVERNMENT/MONARCHY which will ultimately be moved to the British History section when that folder is completely set up.

WORLD LEGISLATURES/INTERNATIONAL THREADS which will ultimately be moved to the World History section when that folder is completely set up.

We have added the following threads to the Founding Fathers folder:

* BIOGRAPHIES OF OTHER FOUNDING FATHERS

* BIOGRAPHIES OF THE FOUNDING FATHERS - THE SIGNERS OF THE U.S. CONSTITUTION

* BIOGRAPHIES OF THE FOUNDING FATHERS - THE SIGNERS OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

* BIOGRAPHIES OF THE FOUNDING FATHERS - THE SIGNERS OF THE ARTICLES OF CONFEDERATION

Please look for all of the above.

Bentley

message 21: by Joe (new)

Joe (blues) You have been very busy, Bentley. CHEERS!
I look forward to the reorganization.

message 22: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Hi Joe,

Wish I could do it full time; but it will be a little while before it is exactly like we all would prefer. I think the genre approach over time is a good way to go; it will force us to sample other genres along the way. But I do not want to impact discussions while I keep adding to the scope of The History Book Club...and October and November are real ambitious already.

I was wondering where you were lately. Glad to hear from you.

message 23: by Joe (new)

Joe (blues) Bentley,

I didn't know where to post this... but here goes. How have you handled postings that have been contributed by members/moderators, but have been written by someone else? Obviously our postings from Wikipedia and the like are all over these threads... Wikipedia might be a fine and free place to quote from, but are there any rules to go by on this?

Thanks,
Joe

message 24: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 14, 2009 09:21AM) (new)

I always quote the source and give the proper credit. Just like you would have to do if you wrote a paper for submission. Since these are book discussions and for educational purposes, etc.; I believe the rules are more lenient. But you always have to cite where you got the material even if you are paraphrasing...at least that is what I try to do. I think you can be quoted pretty much anywhere if the person cites the source.

Barzun, an author, for example when he is citing sources....uses backnotes and a symbol following the citation in the text. He seemed to be one of the most detailed notationers; see his author's notes for details in his book "From Dawn to Decadence".

I like to cite chapter and page number when referencing text in the books we are discussing.

Do you have any specific examples that you are talking about. It is a great question by the way. Also, are you concerned that someone has not been giving credit where credit is due?

Bentley

PS: There is always Robert's Rules for Writing

Roberts Rules Of Writing 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know by Robert Masello

message 25: by Joe (new)

Joe (blues) It's kinda obvious when you are quoting a book, but what if I'm browsing the web looking for information on a book. I go to Amazon.com, or somewhere, and find a review of a book someone posted on a forum by an anonymous user, or other pertinent information in a book's description by the publisher. It could be an advertisement, or a publisher's description, or anything like that. I guess I'm looking for what to do in more obscure situations.

message 26: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 14, 2009 09:27AM) (new)

I think it is best to give credit to the person who has written the review; much like you would give credit to a person who has written a magazine article, etc. If I quote a publisher...I also give credit to the publisher. The best way to think about it is if you got anything from somewhere else; then that somewhere should be cited. It doesn't have to be as elaborate as in a thesis paper or a research paper here; but author, chapter and verse or page number is in order.

I hope this helps. Maybe our newest member Bryan has some additional ideas or suggestions...he seems to do the type of research where sources are critically important.

Bentley

message 27: by Joe (new)

Joe (blues) Take a look at this overview of Theodore Roosevelt's Naval War of 1812. If I wanted post a description of that book for others to learn from, and wanted to quote part of that description, how would I cite an author?

message 28: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I guess it depends on what you are doing with the information gathered and where it will be cited and under what circumstances...if you want to reprint anything regarding this source...the publisher spells out the guidelines:

See: http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com/daca...

However, the following might help if you are citing a website...scroll down to website example:

http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/w...

Here is another helpful site:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/ind...

For our purposes here (educational and a book group); author, chapter, page number is sufficient or url.

Hope the above helps.

Bentley

message 29: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

message 30: by Joe (last edited Oct 14, 2009 10:44AM) (new)

Joe (blues) Thanks!
I added the source info to that TR thread I posted to this morning.

Thanks again, Bentley.

message 31: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

No problem...happy to help.

message 32: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Yeah, the big thing is: can I go back to a website and find where you got the source? We can be as formal as we want. At Monticello, we follow the mother of them all: Chicago Manual and here is a quick guide:
http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/t...

I think as long as you provide the URL and name of author (and it might be a publisher), I think that is fine. Some Websites disappear, but I think most of our citations will be be around.

message 33: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 15, 2009 08:39AM) (new)

Great points Bryan and ones we should follow whenever possible. I think we have all tried to do that; but it always is worth mentioning again. Thank for the Chicago Manual url and quick guide.

message 34: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Just an FYI: I will be on international travel for three weeks. I will be posting as I have access which should be regularly.

Bentley

message 35: by Elizabeth S (new)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 2011 comments Have a fun trip, Bentley!

message 36: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Also, this is a write-up on fair use; I think Joe and others that citations in this venue are considered fair use (educational, criticism, commenting, research, scholarship, etc). However, always good to cite source Joe, if you plan to receive remuneration; then other safeguards may be in order.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

message 37: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

POLLS:

There are two current polls up for voting: The general President's Series interest poll (out in front are Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Bill Clinton and Ulysses S, Grant).

The second poll deals with potential books regarding Thomas Jefferson (in case Thomas Jefferson keeps the top spot) and/or when we get to him in terms of what spot he secures.

I will also in the next couple of weeks put up polls to determine what selection we will read when the time comes for Teddy Roosevelt, Bill Clinton and Ulysses S. Grant and any other top vote getters.

If you have books to suggest, I will place them on the list. If you have recommended something and you do not see it on the list, by all means remind me; it would not be intentional. Everybody's recommendations are welcome.

For all of the presidents who only got one vote; we will ultimately have a vote off to shake up the list a bit and bring some changes in the order of that list based upon interest.

Additionally, we will continue the voting on the Spotlighted Book selections and they will have separate polls.

All of the above takes time...but we will get to it.

message 38: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS:

There seems to be a lot of new members. Normally, I send an introductory welcome note to each new member. There have been so many, and so fast that I am still catching up with this task.

Another thing that as moderator that I try to do is to add you to the friend list to make it easier for you to contact me with book list suggestions and for me to send you group information in a timely way. The request that I send you is for logistical reasons; so please accept this request and it will be easier for you to reach me for any question or suggestion that you might have for the group.

Check the welcome thread at the top of the group page and that will alert you to some of the group's basic requirements. We are thrilled to have the membership list grow and to have all of you with us. Every new member will eventually receive a welcome note from me.

Bentley

message 39: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Elizabeth S wrote: "Have a fun trip, Bentley!"

Thank you Elizabeth..I just saw your comment. I have so far. Back in England for awhile so I am able to get on the last few days; but soon will be off to visit France and actually some of the First World War sites (Verdun, etc.)

message 40: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 02, 2009 03:45AM) (new)

Rules Content Field:

When I returned to the UK, I was prompted as were all group leaders and moderators to post rules for the group for first time users. Simply put; the rules for the group itself that have worked well for us (as a private group as well as a public group) have been posted in the group write-up for some time now. I struggled to figure out what more could be added for first time users.

However, there is now a new field which has been added for first time users so rather than leave it blank; I thought it would be a good idea to post the Goodreads terms of use and guidelines; since it is likely that many have not come across these before in their initial postings. I hope this explains the policies and procedures better than I would have written them and they are much more complete than the 256 characters that were being allowed for this purpose. They pretty much cover everything especially in terms of user content. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Bentley

message 41: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

EVENT NOTIFICATIONS:

The History Book Club sends out event notifications for new discussions. We hope that you will respond yes so that you will be able to join us.

However, if you answer with anything other than yes or maybe, then you will get no other reminder nor will it be on your calendar or at the bottom of your profile page. Those who have answered yes or maybe will be pinged 7 days before the start of the discussion itself. Especially helpful when they are planned months in advance. I used to send out reminders on events and polls for those who may have forgotten to respond; but that proved too time consuming.

So please watch your mail box where communications from goodreads are sent; make sure they are not going to your spam folder because no reminders are going to be sent by the moderator. One communication per member is all that you will receive per each new upcoming discussion.

You should have received the event notification for The American Sphinx.

Sometime later this week; I will be sending the upcoming notification for The First World War.

Regards,

Bentley

message 42: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Development of Interest Areas:

There will be more details forthcoming later this week; but be advised that the moderators are setting up various new interest and genre areas that we have promised that we would do (including many in the NEW British History folder)

Details regarding these additions will be forthcoming soon.

Bentley

message 43: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 27, 2009 05:20PM) (new)

Just as an FYI:

Assistant Moderators - Elizabeth and Joe (both are helping out and doing a tremendous job - please give these group members your support)

Elizabeth S is helping to get the Historical Fiction segment off of the ground and is taking on the role of an assisting moderator for that section (a role which all of you can try out at any time). Elizabeth is doing a great job. This area will have some polls soon.

As everyone knows; we are primarily a non fiction book group and we will continue that focus; but there is room to have interest areas for everyone. So this will be an interest area for those of you who have mentioned how much you enjoy reading this genre .

Our Presidential Series continues and Joe has assumed an assistant moderator role and is leading the A. Lincoln discussion. Please join him on the Lincoln journey taking place right now. Joe is adept at lively discussion and likes good debates so all are welcome. He is doing a great job keeping things moving and on track.

message 44: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

SPAMMERS:

Folks,

You may have noticed a spammer. Spam is deleted immediately and the person is blocked immediately. I am not sure why they think that folks will be interested in buying their product or in performing downloads when they post in the middle of discussions or just join the group to advertise their product offering without any intention of contributing to any group on goodreads.

They are pretty easy to spot..they usually have zero books!

Bentley

message 45: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

EVENT NOTIFICATIONS:

The History Book Club sends out event notifications for new discussions. We hope that you will respond yes so that you will be able to join us.

However, if you answer with anything other than yes or maybe, then you will get no other reminder nor will it be on your calendar or at the bottom of your profile page. Those who have answered yes or maybe will be pinged 7 days before the start of the discussion itself. Especially helpful when they are planned months in advance. I used to send out reminders on events and polls for those who may have forgotten to respond; but that proved too time consuming.

So please watch your mail box where communications from goodreads are sent; make sure they are not going to your spam folder because no reminders are going to be sent by the moderator. One communication per member is all that you will receive per each new upcoming discussion.

You should have received the event notifications already for upcoming discussions on The American Sphinx and The First World War.

Earlier this week; I sent the upcoming notification for Killer Angels.

Regards,

Bentley

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara Michael Shaara

American Sphinx The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis Joseph J. Ellis

The First World War by John Keegan John Keegan

message 46: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

HOLIDAY - REDUCED ASSIGNMENTS

During the next few weeks, you will notice that we cut back a bit from the assigned reading...less pages to keep up and assigned. We still keep moving forward though and there will be some pages to read; because we must keep up the momentum. So at least until New Year's Day 2010 which is just around the corner..there will be reduced assignments.

We try to give everyone a wee break around the holidays.

However, at any time you can catch up on any book we have covered. Most are still open if you go to the archives; but if one isn't and you would like to read it and post on the threads...we will open it and communicate with you and post in response. So every book can be ultimately available.

Bentley

message 47: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

SPAMMERS:

Just as an FYI:

Spammers...please do not post or join this group. It is fairly obvious when the member has zero books added. Your advertisements and spam will be deleted, you will receive ONE warning and then you will be blocked.

Bentley

message 48: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Just as an FYI:

Assistant Moderators - Aussie Rick is going to try his hand at being an assisting moderator. He was worried with the time zone difference; in that some folks might be waiting for a reply and it might be in the middle of his night. I told him that we were not that impatient here.

So Aussie Rick has agreed to help out with the Military History segment. This area will also have some polls soon so possibly we can have some assigned books for discussion.

In the meantime, please give him your support.

Bentley

message 49: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 28, 2009 04:36PM) (new)

UPCOMING BOOK DISCUSSION: KILLER ANGELS (HISTORICAL FICTION FOLDER): Start Date - January 4th, 2010 (Discussion to last three months)

Discussion led by Assisting Moderator - Historical Fiction - Elizabeth S

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara Michael Shaara

Syllabus - http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 50: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 09, 2010 05:36PM) (new)

Programming Bug:

I am not sure if folks have noticed that I have had to take out the end dates of the group discussions because goodreads added an area at the bottom of the page called Upcoming Reads and unfortunately if the end dates are filled in for the discussion in that area it is posting the end date field as the start date. The programming seems to be pulling data from the wrong fields. The only way to avoid the problem for now is to take out any dates in the end date fields for the group discussions. A real pain but real confusing for the readership; you would see the correct start and end date at the top of the page; while at the bottom it was indicating the end date as the start date for the same upcoming discussions.

I have contacted goodreads but to date nothing has been fixed regarding this new situation.

Bentley

UPDATE: It appears and (I have my fingers crossed) that the start date is now the start date in the upcoming reads section at the bottom of the page. Thank goodness, I can now put back the end dates into the write-ups and announcements. Thank you goodreads for the fix. Appreciate it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9