Robert E. Howard Readers discussion

Body of Work > Check this out: REH pulp magazine compendium/facsimile

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peregrine 12 (new)

Peregrine 12 (peregrine12) | 75 comments This might appeal to some of you hard-core fans out there.

Today on EBay I came across a compendium of Fantasy Fan Magazine (1933-35). It includes Howard, Lovecraft and others. It's listed on ebay, 100 copies only, self-published book. Supposedly an exact replica of the original mags.

Listing: "Fantasy Fan book Robert E. Howard H.P. Lovecraft 1933" (cost: $44 USD plus shipping)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantasy-Fan-book-...

Seller's description:
"This is the complete 18 issue run of the 1930's fanzine "the Fantasy Fan" collected for the first time ever as a hardcover book. presented in facsimile format, with painstaking restoration of the original barely legible pages and hand printed and bound by me. The book contains original first published stories and poems from the giants of weird fiction, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, and more. The Fantasy Fan was the world's first fanzine dedicated to weird stories, and is a must read for fans of the genre. Over 300 pages and limited to 100 copies. Thank you for looking at my listing.

I will have a website up soon as well, thank you to everyone who has helped make my first book such a good experience.

PLEASE email with any questions, and thank you again for supporting truly independent publishing."

message 2: by Michael (last edited Aug 23, 2011 05:49PM) (new)

Michael (dolphy76) | 440 comments I am watching this on ebay. It's been re-listed. I've been reading "the Collected Letters of Robert E Howard" and he has mentioned this fanzine on occasion.
He and other Weird Tales authors submitted works to it. He made some comments in one letter to Clark Ashton Smith about a criticism of one of Smith's stories submitted by Forrest J Ackerman. Forrest J Ackerman was a huge Sci Fi fan and hated Weird Tales and Horror fiction and thought it shouldn't be published in a Sci Fi magazine (which apparently this story was)! REH found it amusing. My understanding was that H P Lovecraft detested Ackerman.
Ackerman went on to fame as the publisher of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" magazine which I loved as a kid in the 60's. I thought that ironic based upon what REH wrote in the letter.