The Dark Mythology discussion

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Also by Bob Curran, This book looks at more of the undead. It is very interesting, and the artwork is great as well.

message 2: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
lol. i know what you mean, although im not sick of them yet.

message 3: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 115 comments Mod
Yeah, I'm tired of vampires for a little while, but zombies!? Never! Must...have...brains!

Which reminds me, where did that start? Who was the first to say that zombies eat brains?

message 4: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Dont really know, thats a good question. It may have been a misinterpritation of George A. Romero's classic film "Night of the Living Dead." A virus of some kind affected the BRAINS of dead people and caused them to return to life as Zombies, but they were after FLESH. Other than that I have no idea how the brain thing started.
(For being a morbid guy, its kind of funny that i hated that movie)

message 5: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) I agree with Vampires, but I don't get enough exposure to Zombies to get tired of them. I suppose if I actually watched the horde of zombie flicks that come out, I would agree, but I haven't, so I don't.

Besides I would never tire of wearing my 'If I Was A Zombie, I would Eat Your Brains' T-Shirt.

I think I prefer the Zombie to the Vampire because with Zombies, it's the human race getting their just deserts as a whole, where as Vampires are spun a little to romantic and codependent on the human race as a whole.

message 6: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Interesting view.
personaly I am not into the whole zombie apocalypse strain, although zombies themselves are cool.

message 7: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) you city folk are wussies, it's not like the whole population will die, still could loot an adult store or two for good measure.

message 8: by Cairnraiser, Colonel Panic (last edited Jan 28, 2009 01:03AM) (new)

Cairnraiser | 12 comments Mod
John Ajvide Lindqvist's vampire tale Let the Right One In has been discussed in some of the horror and dark fantasy groups here on Goodreads as the movie has received good reviews.

But he actually has a zombie book out too, and just as Let the Right One In has a different take on the Vampire genre, Handling the Undead deals with other aspects of the return of the deceased. I highly recommend it.

He also has what seems to be a ghost story out - Människohamn (not sure if it's been translated yet), which I have on my tbr shelf.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Brett wrote: "Yeah, I'm tired of vampires for a little while, but zombies!? Never! Must...have...brains!

Which reminds me, where did that start? Who was the first to say that zombies eat brains?"

Dan O'Bannon, in 1986's Return of the Living Dead.

message 10: by Brett (new)

Cool. Thanks Robert.

message 12: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) Kathryn wrote: "http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/Road_sig...

This made me laugh."

ahahahahahaha thats brilliant

message 13: by Brett (new)

Oh yeah! I saw a preview for that and it looks great! Zombie humor at it's best or maybe worst. No matter, it looks like fun.

message 14: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
I supose the sign would be a serious safty matter, but I think people need to lighten up. It was very funny.

message 15: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) LOL, if that is all they put, then they got off easy.

message 16: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) I'm surprised that you don't have a permanent prescription.

message 17: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) either or, but I was thinking of the pill in my avatar.

message 18: by Brett (new)

I found a book at the library completely by accident and love it since it combines zombies and comics for one huge read.

The Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics. It collects several stories from well known writers and artists. If you like the genre, you have to read this one. It's all in black & white too, which I happen to prefer. If it doesn't look good in B&W, color won't help, only hide.

That's a personal pet peeve of mine. As an illustrator, I can't tell you how many illustrations I've seen that used color as a crutch. Anyway, that's something entirely different.

Check out you local library for a copy of The Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics. Get them to order it if you can. It's fun!

message 19: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
I will check that one out.
And I agree with you about color.

message 20: by Brett (new)

Someone has been hacking into the highway warning signs out east. One was changed to read;

Raptors Ahead. Warning!

And another;

Zombies in area. RUN!

Someone is having fun!

message 21: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Brett;
Being a visual artist myself, I agree with your color comment.

message 22: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
I wish someone would to that to road signs in my area. things are too quiet where I live.

message 23: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) LOL, I agree. Maybe replaced the 'Slow Children At Play' signs with them. It's not nice to call children slow anyway.

message 24: by Jiaka1981 Winfield (last edited Mar 12, 2009 03:04PM) (new)

Jiaka1981 Winfield I recently read "the Zombie survival guide" it was a great read, really informative and funny at times even though since zombies are my biggest fears, i couldnt sleep afterwards. It was written as if zombies are real with military accounts and everything. I tired to convince my boyfriend we needed to stock up guns and ammo and get an armored truck, just in case. :)

message 25: by Josh, Major Slacker (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
haha, it would be a good idea