Angels and Fallen Angels discussion

Author's Corner > Q&A with Kevin Hearne author of HOUNDED

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 432 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

Here you ask questions of Kevin Hearne author of Hounded. Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Hearne | 7 comments Feel free to ask away—the fallen angel appears in book two, Hexed. Cheers!

-Kevin

message 3: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Hey Kevin! I just bought Hounded and cannot wait to dive in. I've had so many people tell me how awesome it is and VERY funny. I love funny. Super congrats on all the success! I'm totally stoked for you!
~D~

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Hearne | 7 comments Appreciate it, Darynda! Hope you enjoy!

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Kevin,

In creating Attiticus' Druidic practices and beliefs in the novel, were you able to find acual hitorical books describing Druidic practices or did you largley make up everything up?

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Hearne | 7 comments Kind of a combo, Colleen. All historical sources are extremely suspect since none of them are written by actual Druids—they're actually written by their enemies. However, where several different accounts overlap, I took that into account as a possibility. Shape-shifting, weather control, some mysterious ability to teleport, and divination were their primary powers. So I took those abilities and devised a magic system around that. The binding to the earth through tattoos—that's my own creation, as is the idea that Celtic knotwork is a visual representation of Druidic spells.

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Do you think Druids could have had actual magical abilities or do you think its just the stuff of folklore?

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Hearne | 7 comments I certainly think they had something going on with divination, and their memories were pretty amazing considering that the whole of their tradition was taught orally.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Howdy Kevin. Liked your books Hounded and Hexed more than a little, especially the boyish (Irish) charm of your protagonist, and where the hell can I get a wolf hound like Oberon??!! Went out looking for Hammered just this very night, but I'm a victim of what seems your rising popularity. Two seperate Barnes and Noble didn't have it. But I do look foward to reading it. After Hammered, what's next? Will you continue the series, or will your start a new character? Or is a break from writing over due? Whatever your choices, thank you for the enjoyable reading experiences.

message 10: by Colleen (new)

So Kevin, where is the best place to get Fish and chips? I can't help but think you may know...

message 11: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 3 comments Hi Kevin I am sure you've been asked this 683,000 plus times but did you name Atticus after Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mocking Bird? Or is Atticus just a common Druid name;) Thanks for taking the time to do a Q&A and keep up the great work. Happy writing & many sales! Bridget

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Hearne | 7 comments Craig: Tricked is next, and that's due for release in April 2012. :)
Colleen: Rula Bula is seriously the best I've ever had! Rulabula.com.
Bridget: Yes. Or rather, Atticus named himself after Atticus Finch, since his real name is Siodhachan. :)

message 13: by Colleen (new)

Thanks so much Kevin! I don't think I've ever had proper fish and chips, I will definitely be going to Rula Bula the next time I'm in AZ.

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Kevin,

I'm having a hard time finding the short story "Kaibab Unbound" (The Iron Druid , #.25). Is this not out yet? If it is, where can I find it?

message 15: by Mihir (new)

Mihir | 4 comments Colleen wrote: "Kevin,

I'm having a hard time finding the short story "Kaibab Unbound" (The Iron Druid , #.25). Is this not out yet? If it is, where can I find it?"

Hi Colleen

Kaibab Unbound is an e-short featured exclusively in the e-book edition of Hounded only.

Mihir

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Thanks Mihir.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Hearne | 7 comments Yep, what Mihir said. :)

message 18: by Dory (new)

Dory (dory662) | 10 comments I picked up Hounded for my Kindle the other day and am enjoying it immensely. I'm sure I'll get hooked and will have to read the entire series now lol.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Hearne | 7 comments Thanks Dory! Appreciate you giving me a chance!

message 20: by Dory (new)

Dory (dory662) | 10 comments Well, I'm officially hooked! Loved the first book and am well into the second one. My husband keeps giving me funny looks when I laugh out loud at some of the conversations between Atticus and Oberon.

message 21: by Colleen (new)

Kevin, I may have a chance to go to Tempe AZ in October, if I do I am definitely going to Rula Bula....I sure hope Atticus will be there, but if not, there's always hope I'll meet Jesus there instead, I know how much he loves the fish and chips. I may even get a plate for free.. LOL.

message 22: by Colleen (new)

Kevin,

When do you think tricked Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) by Kevin Hearne will come out. I thought I read somewhere it said 2013 is that accurate?

message 23: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 3 comments I bought Hammered & loved it but apparently missed out because I got the old school paperback version & not the Kindle version. Is there anywhere I can get the bonus story people keep commenting about involving Granuaile & a marriage proposal???? PS love the grittier a la Empire Strikes Back tone of this one & the idea of Star Trek as a religion. Geniusly fun read!

message 24: by Mihir (new)

Mihir | 4 comments Colleen wrote: "Kevin,

When do you think tricked Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) by Kevin Hearnewill come out. I thought I read somewhere it said 2013 is that accurate?"

Hey Colleen

Tricked is scheduled to be released in April of 2012.

message 25: by Mihir (new)

Mihir | 4 comments Bridget wrote: "I bought Hammered & loved it but apparently missed out because I got the old school paperback version & not the Kindle version. Is there anywhere I can get the bonus story people keep commenting a..."

Currently the Granuaile short story is only to be found in the e-book version of Hammered Bridget. However I think Kevin has said that at a later point in the future , he might feature it for free on his website or he might release it as a part of a short story collection.

You can read a mini-review of the story "A Test of Mettle" over here

message 26: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 3 comments Thanks very much for the info & loved your website & review of Hammered.

message 27: by Mihir (new)

Mihir | 4 comments Thanks Bridget :)