52 Books in 52 Weeks (2011) discussion

Books Read > Week: 28

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yasmeen (new)

Yasmeen (yassoma) | 123 comments Mod
Book reviews for week 28.

message 2: by ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (last edited Jul 20, 2011 08:04AM) (new)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 40 comments Daughter of Deceit by Victoria Holt Daughter of Deceit
★★★★

How wonderful it is to find an amazing book by surprise. I am still in awe of this novel. It's a story with so many twists and turns. It is a successful combination of drama, mystery, suspense and romance.

As for the characters, I really felt a close connection with Noelle because she reminds me alot of myself. The others were okay too.

The story kept me engaged most of the time by the dialogues, if not by the development of the story. It's a very good reads.

message 3: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (robokick) The Time Traveler's Wife

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm astonished. This is a remarkable & thoroughly original love story. The gimmick is interesting and lovely from beginning to end; Henry time-travels because of a deform/abnormality in his genes which leads to a variety of undesirable situations. I usually enjoy dramatic love-driven books, but this is a monstrous effort and on an entirely different scale; it showcases more than the tale of Henry & Clare and how they got to be together and survived the strangeness and awkwardness -and, worst of all, the longing- of it all. At its core, it is a love story, but it extends deeply and way beyond that. I am absolutely stunned at the later twists, that I didn't see coming nor even slightly predicted, and it plays them all very well. This is Audrey's first published novel, but it's a work of a master. Everything is well thought out and beautifully presented, and Audrey's style is compelling enough that you don't want to stop reading; it's too much fun, while being -in nature- sad and nostalgic.

This goes as one of my favorite books I have ever read; highly recommended.

message 4: by Lamia (new)

Lamia Al-Qahtani (lamia-alqahtani) ويبقى التاريخ مفتوحا : أبرز عشرين شخصية سياسية في القرن العشرين
by تركي الحمد

4/5

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 40 comments The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2) by L.J. Smith The Struggle
★★★

As a big fan of the series, I find that they are different. Especially the characters, and in that the TV version holds more appeal to me.

Coming to the book, I find that it’s better than the first and I certainly enjoyed reading it that I didn’t want to leave my mp3 behind. However, I’m not entirely sure how to deal with Elena and Stephen instant love for each other. It all seems like a soap opera. And this is my whole objection to ‘the paranormal romance’ is that there’s no gradual transition of emotions, and as much as it’s believable at some stories, it certainly doesn’t seem to fit with others. I learned to ignore that particular situations and not let it ruin the story.

I definitely can’t wait to finish the whole series.

The Knitting Diaries The Twenty-First Wish\Coming Unraveled\Home to Summer Island by Debbie Macomber The Knitting Diaries: The Twenty-First Wish\Coming Unraveled\Home to Summer Island
★★★★

The Knitting Diaries, Three writers coming together to write about three separate beautiful stories that give a glimpse into the lives of three different women with nothing in common but their love for knitting.

I really enjoyed The Twenty-First Wish, I find it the closest to ‘real’ from all the other stories. The characters are lovely but they sadly fell under the cliche type when they could be different. The second story, Coming Unravel, is about this aspiring actress Robyn Mulligan, who traveled to New York to build her acting career only to be back home with disappointment. However, she later finds out that coming back to her roots opened her eyes to what she really wanted. I did enjoy this one too although I feel it was VERY predictable and that what made me skip some pages of it. The third and last story is Home to Summer Island, which for me is very different story. Even though, I made myself clear how I feel about the instant-love-or-hate plots in my review about The Struggle I didn’t let it bother me much while I read it. It’s true that this story lacks the substantial grounds of any relationship but the characters proved that they have something that wasn’t explored in this tiny story. And because of that it’s hard to believe that what they have is love.

This is a very good book indeed. lighthearted and cute.

message 6: by Ally (new)

Ally Atherton (allyatherton) Mohammed wrote: "The Time Traveler's Wife

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm astonished. This is a remarkable & thoroughly original love story. The gimmick is interesting and lovely from beginning to end; Henry time-trav..."

This is one of my favourite books that I've read this year, probably the one that I remember the most fondly. Great book !

message 7: by Shayma (new)

Shayma (almightysush) | 45 comments Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

this was even better than the movie i really enjoyd it.

but when i literally had a page and a half left to finish it the movie we were about to watch started and i had to stop.

View all my reviews

message 8: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Rating: 5/5, loved it!

Okay so I had heard that this book was the next best thing to The Hunger Games and I totally agree. I had my doubts but I've heard pretty much nothing but awesome reviews about it. It's not quite the same but close enough for me to really like it. I LOVED Four, and Tris is okay for a female YA character. I loved the setting since I'm from a city sort of near Chicago and I've been there a million times so all the places that were mentioned I could really visualize. I liked that the author transformed it into a dystopian setting, I can't imagine Chicago ever looking like that but I guess you never know. A couple people told me they didn't like this AS much because the story seemed to contrived or unrealistic but really how realistic can a dystopian book be? I thought it was really well written and they left just enough of a cliff hanger for me to be dying to read the next one.

message 9: by Yasmeen (new)

Yasmeen (yassoma) | 123 comments Mod
The Book of Other People The Book of Other People by Zadie Smith

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Believe it or not: I chose this book based on its cover. It was illustrated by Charles Burns (author/illustrator of Black Hole - which I LOVE).

It's really hard to rate a book that's a collection of short stories written by the same author, let alone when it's written by different authors. Overall, I really liked it. The concept was interesting. Zadie Smith has asked several authors (including himself) to write about a character. That's it. Some results were very impressive and amazing, while others... not so much. It has introduced me to the writing styles of several writers that I've wondered about for a long time. Dave Eggers is one of them, and I am definitely going to read some of his books.

View all my reviews

message 10: by Dareen (new)

Dareen | 15 comments سمرقند by Amin Maalouf
Book: سمرقند
Author: Amin Maalouf
Rating: 5/5

The first part is focused on Omar Al-Khayyam and the politics of his era and I found it to be a much stronger and enjoyable story than the latter half about the history of the original Rubaiyat manuscript. As for a historical fiction novel, my poor history background didn't help much in knowing where fact and fiction met in this book. Maalouf did a great job bringing history to life, not to mention the wonderful Arabic translation.. This book is one of my favorites.

message 11: by Alhanouf (last edited Aug 15, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Alhanouf (itshnf) | 54 comments The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Rating: 5/5

This is by far my favorite novel for this year. It started a bit slow at first but once all the characters have been introduced I just couldn't let go of it.

This is not a happy ending novel giving that it is narrated by death! I sort of .. chocked at the end of it. The Story touched me so much.

This is one of the novels that deserves a second and third reads. Brilliant.

Recommended.

message 12: by Raya (new)

Raya Al-Raddadi شخصية المرأة - بين رؤية الإسلام وواقع المسلمين
حسن الصفار
2/5
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34...

message 13: by Tempus (new)

Tempus | 46 comments The Double Helix by James D. Watson
The Double Helix
James D. Watson

3/5

An interesting look into the events leading up to the discovery of DNA.

The book is as much about science as it is about the personal politics in the academic scientific field and about the personal life of the author during those years. The style of the author is amusing at times. I can't believe I missed the chance to meet him when he came to town.

I guess we don't see enough of the human side of scientific pursuits. That's why books like this one are important as they show more of that side.

message 14: by Johara (new)

Johara Almogbel | 71 comments Broken Soup Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Great YA. Wonderfull written, with really enjoyable characters. I loved Bee and Rowan and Stroma and Carl and Sonny just as much as I hated Rowan's mum.

Also. I WANT MY OWN HARPER:'(

View all my reviews

message 15: by Rakan (new)

Rakan (rakanmsd) | 50 comments Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel
Beatrice and Virgil
Yann Martel
Rating 3/5

The story is about a successful author struggling to write a book about the holucost. It starts slow but builds up towards the end.
A very interesting read, can't wait to start his other book the life of pi.