Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter discussion

after reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan A bit predictable plot although at the end I kept waiting for a twist that never happened. Extremely mean portrayals of southerners.

Betsy I can agree on the predictable plot,but the characters were real and engaging. I found myself holding conversations with them in my head. I'd like to read another book with these same characters. Unfortunately I had a bad experience living in the South and the portrayals can seem more accurate than mean. I still think though the attitudes of the meaner characters was the meaness of a small town and not particularly just Southerners however..

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee I thought the book was great and recommended it for my bookclub. It definitely held my attention.

Shuga I was somewhat disappointed by this particular book. Kept waiting for more indepth character exploration and history.

2 great books dealing with human relations set in the south (the early 40's +) are Mudbound and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (non-fiction). SEE GOODREADS REVIEWS FOR MORE DETAIL?

Mudbound is very engaging and offers lots of discussion points. The Immortal...brings you through the evolution and regulation of research and exposes you to clear and thought provoking insight to the phlight of many individuals.

message 5: by Cheyenne (last edited Oct 07, 2011 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheyenne **SPOILER ALERT**

I kind of zoned out a few times on this book, but at the end I could not figure how Silas figured out that he and Larry were brothers? Just from the photo of his mom and Larry as a baby and then the short conversation with Mrs. Ott? How did he put it together? I mean, it's not a surprise, but I just don't get how he got there with the few pieces of info he had.

Jeff Tucker I really enjoyed this book and I would consider reading another by the author. I agree that it was a fairly simple story and predictable to a point. It certainly wasn’t a page turner. I liked the writing style, the setting and the flawed characters. I enjoy some slow moving stories if they’re well written and I feel this was a very well written book.

Carolee Luberto I think this book would make a terrific movie....loved it.

andrea The book was well written, but not great. I felt like there were some plot holes not quite filled, or neatly resolved with a simple, but not realistic answer.

I'm absolutely sick of the word 'kudzu', but am craving some heavily greasy diner food because of this book.

The CurvyJones LOVED this book, one of my faves from 2010. MudBound was excellent as well, I read that one last year. I liked Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter better.

Rachelle Piatek I found this book a real page turner and loved the plot and twists. However, I agree that there were some holes I wished were filled in...
I would recommend this book to all my friends and family :)

Cheryl, The Book Contessa I thought it was well written & I really enjoyed it!

Book Mitch I have recommended this book to everyone I know who is a reader. It had me caught up in the characters, loved how the author allowed you to get into the head of both main characters. His writing style had me feeling the grit and oppression of a small town in the past. Eerie page turner...

message 13: by Alec (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alec Good book that I enjoyed though I found the characters a bit shallow, lacking in dimension, some almost appeared caricatural.

Marty Elrod Great book! I did wonder about Silas knowing as well. Living in the south, I see people that are described in the book every day. I don't think it was a mean portral of southerners...just the way some of them are.

Beth I don't agree that Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter was great.

Ir was OK, not a page turner. Only page turners are great.

message 16: by Lou (last edited Mar 04, 2012 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lou Davanzo Cheyenne wrote: "**SPOILER ALERT**

I kind of zoned out a few times on this book, but at the end I could not figure how Silas figured out that he and Larry were brothers? Just from the photo of his mom and Larry as..."

I agree, Cheyenne... Thought I missed something; although the reader was supposed to intimate the relationship, I saw nothing in the narrative that would cause Silas to make that leap. Otherwise, I enjoyed the characters and writing style.
Thought it was a good companion piece to The Help; a different take on Southern race from a different point of view in a different era.

Cheyenne Lou wrote: "Cheyenne wrote: "**SPOILER ALERT**

I kind of zoned out a few times on this book, but at the end I could not figure how Silas figured out that he and Larry were brothers? Just from the photo of h..."

OK whew! I thought it was just me!

Book Mitch I assumed it was the way he looked back and remembered the way his father treated him and his mom on the street corner and once in the car-even though his father had racial issues. Also, his mom told him that when his mom was working for them 'she got herself into quite a situation' (not exact words, but getting herself pregnant)and then again when his father pinned them against each other with a glint of something in his eye and made them fight...I figured it was all of the subtle clues along the way...

message 19: by Betted (last edited Mar 12, 2012 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Betted It was surely a well written book about the prejudice and small-mindedness of life in small Southern towns. It took a while to get acclimated to the writing style, but the author told a good tale. This book was good enough to earn an award mention.

See my review at: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Karmon I thought the author over-described everything. People didn't simply walk through doors - they walked through doors with green-tinted glass that showed the fingerprints of the people who passed through during the course of the slow, dust-moted afternoon. I also found the climax too contrived.

message 21: by Dave (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dave I listened to this book and I find that sometimes a book is better when it is told to you. I think that I might have overlooked this one for how good it was if I had read it. And lets face it, some narration is simply horrible, but this one hit the mark; bringing the characters to what you envision them to be. I did, however, think that the author had a hard time just ending this book. He kind of rambled on and on about Cilas and Larry healing their relationship at the end. I thought it was unnecessary.

Kimberly Cheyenne wrote: "**SPOILER ALERT**

I kind of zoned out a few times on this book, but at the end I could not figure how Silas figured out that he and Larry were brothers? Just from the photo of his mom and Larry as..."

I think that part should have been expanded a bit more. It did seem like the picture alone is what made him realize it, but there were other things over the years that pointed to it. The fact that they were allowed to live in the cabin on their property at all, the daily rides to school, Larry's mother's comments to Silas' mother about her not minding to use other people's things... it all adds up. I think the photo was just proof to him because he now knew that his mother worked for them before he was born and it established a connection with the family that Silas wasn't aware of.

Still I loved every page of this book even if the "twist" was obvious to me early on.
Tom Franklin is a gifted writer and everything he's written has been a pleasure to read.

message 24: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June couldnt agree more mantan, the beauty of this story is in the writing and the charectors. months after reading i'm still thinking about larry and silas.

Phillip Thompson Mantan, June, I'm right there with you. I met Tom a few years back at the Bread Loaf Writers Conference and was astounded by his "Poachers." Truly gifted writer whose characters live and breathe.

message 26: by William (last edited Apr 14, 2013 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

William I really had to read more. Started Hell at the Breech a couple of days ago. Somehow this is a different type of book: less author-manipulated than Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. Both novels are just fine in their own right though. I might try Poachers soon or his other novel.

Steve I loved this novel! The story line was intriguing and totaly believable, the character description was excellent and the dialogue dialect was spot-on (although I must agree with the earlier comment about "kudzu" being over used). I only have one (unsettling) unresolved question: what happened to Cindy Walker?? Why would Franklin leave that main story issue unresloved and leave the reader to come to their own conclusion on a central plot issue that would either acquit or convict the main character?