Q&A with Aimee Laine discussion

How can I help you? > The writing process ...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Laine (aimee_laine) | 94 comments Mod
I know tons of us here on Goodreads are authors as well as readers. I don't think anyone can be an author without being a reader. So if you want to ask me questions about writing, my writing process, how I write, or anything related to writing in general, ask away, right here!

message 2: by Asails (new)

Asails F | 1 comments Hello I have read too many of pages of recent work from authors that know little of their own history never mind the worlds. I firmly believe anyone can write and anyone can read but the most important key is the reason for reading and writing.

I have written technical manuals and sociological studies concerning particular populations separated physically and culturally. I have a great deal of trouble finding books that catch my attention and I find that it is getting more difficult. How about you?

message 3: by Aimee (new)

Hi Asails! I actually read purely for the pleasure of getting OUT of my on world. I love the urban fantasy (less the vampires mostly) and love worlds that are concocted from what we 'know' as a 'norm' to what the author can envision.

For me, the problem I have is that I have an inner editor that won't shut off (darn her!) So I find if a story doesn't catch me up and really keep me riveted to the page, then I'm left seeing the errors in the writing, finding the mistakes and it totally takes me away from enjoying the story.

But, if those things are there and the story takes hold? I'm sunk and will wade my way through the 'issues' usually without even seeing them.

For me, writing is about the story. As a writer of romance, it's about two people and everything they have to do to make a go of their relationship. Given that, sometimes, not a bit of research is needed, just make me suspend my disbelief and make me fall in love with the characters and you have me hooked. :)

message 4: by Pauline (last edited Jul 18, 2011 06:06AM) (new)

Pauline Toohey (paulinelouise) | 4 comments I suffer from the same malady as Asails. Finding that 'Mr Write'- perfect book - is getting harder. I'm trying to work out why. There are some wonderful authors out there.

One possibility I'm procrastinating upon,is that as a writer, as our writing experiences grow, as our writing techniques find their focus, and as that inner editor improves her/his sharp eye, we become way more 'picky.'

Your thoughts?

message 5: by Aimee (new)

"...we become way more 'picky.'"
Without a doubt.

I read Nora Roberts and JD Robb now and go "WTH?" because I see all these errors that before I didn't 'see' (and when I say errors, some are and some are just personal preference). However, I LOVE her writing, I love the characters she crafts and I will never NOT read her books because of those 'errors'.

I think what we'll find, as reader become writer, is that we stick to the authors we already love and can trust that their characters will be strong and meet our internal needs as a reader (no matter the state of the writing).

I think new ones will crop up that we'll fall in love with, too ... but those may be fewer and farther between.

I think recommendations from like-minded authors is then important. I follow about 15 reader-authors religiously to see what they are reading because I know that if THEY loved it, then I will love it (or at least the likelihood is far greater).

So to me, being a writer, I just have to use the resources at my disposal to weed out the ones that will baffle me as to how they got in print, or the selfpubbed ones that never saw an editor.

But I also think the gems will shine because word of mouth will bring them to the surface. :) And those we can read and fill our days with. :)

message 6: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Adams (joceadams) | 1 comments I'm the same way. All of the books I used to love now seem unpolished and some of them just plain bad to me after learning proper editing techniques.

I just can't turn off my internal editor when reading fiction. Unfortunately, that leaves only a small percentage of books that meet my expectations. It sucks, but I can't seem to help it.

message 7: by Aimee (new)

You're not alone, Jocelyn. :) Now we all have to find a way to enjoy again! :)

message 8: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) | 25 comments I'm reading a book right now, and some of the sentence structure--I mean--bigass run-on--sentences--with lods of emdashes tossed in--that ensures the sentence--makes no sense. And yes, it is a tradionally published novel. And yes, this author has a HUGE following.

Thankfully, that inner editor, who refuses to shut the heck up whilst I'm writing, seems now capable of taking a break whilst I'm reading. Good job really, or I'd never read anything again--ever!

message 9: by Aimee (new)

It's good that you have a switch (of some sort) as I don't and try very hard (even have to work at it) to get through the hangups. Nicely done there with all the double dashes. ;)