Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: Threads, misc. > August 2011 BOM: A Game of Thrones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Time for nominations for the August group read! Please nominate which book you'd most like to read in August. Nominations will end on the 23rd at which time the poll will go up to vote for which book you'd most like to read! :o)

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I'll throw out Enemy Lover by Karin Harlow. Paranormal and suspense. I'm game!

Enemy Lover (L.O.S.T #1) by Karin Harlow

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Any other nominations??

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I know it's not a romance but I'm going to throw in A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Okay, the poll for the August group read is up!

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Okay, the winner for the August BOM is ................

A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Who all is reading A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin ??? How far into are you? Are you enjoying it? I read it two months ago and am getting ready to read A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin , so obviously it captured my attention. :)

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I am almost on page 300 of A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin and I'm loving it! I wish I could read faster, but life is a little busy right now, figures! ;o)

message 10: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments It's on my wishlist but idk when I'll actually be able to get it.

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe I had to admit to being curious, even though I don't do much fantasy anymore (kind of OD'ed in my teens). I pciked it up and even though I'm only about on page 120, I'm kind of liking it! I hate to see people betray each other, but I'm hoping there is some justice for various bad guys at the end.

One of my main complaints with the fantasy genre is the made up languages. If you're going to make up a whole languagem thats one thing, but if you call a plate a plate, whay can't you call a cup a cup? Why do we have some things spelled differently when the original was just fine? The prefix for knight, for instance, in this book is "Ser". Yes, i know - "Sir" was working perfectly well for me too, and odd little changes like that that the author did just because he felt like it really rip me out of the book. He has plenty of chances to name tribes, creatures, places on the map, but weird words for teacher and knight seema little self indulgent. Is it just me?

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I agree, Zoe!

message 13: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Me too. Sometimes when the words in fantasy books get too weird and abnormal, it confuses me, messes up my immersion into the story. Especially if they don't include some sort of guide in the back or front that explains what it means and how to pronounce.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 09, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm getting ready to start on the three book in that series, A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin , and "Ser" still pulls me out of it. Sure, I get used to it, eventually, but there is always that adjustment period... after almost 2,000 pages!

message 15: by Zoe (new)

Zoe I'm glad it's not just me. Although I still think he does a more subtle job of it than all the Arthurian fantasy I read as a teen. Some of the 'let's just use the celtic word for everything!' left my brain in knots.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments For the people reading this book, how are you guys doing?

I just finished it tonight and I really, really, really loved it. I'm trying to get through some new releases by my favorite authors before I pick up A Clash of Kings!

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Congrats, Megan! I just passed the half-way point on A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin and it is a very good book!!

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Wow Lisa! You are just cruising along with this series! What are you going to do when you're all caught up? LOL ;o)

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Take a break! Ha! No, I'll probaly start another chunckster series. I looking at the Symphony of Ages series. Have you read them?
Rhapsody Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1) by Elizabeth Haydon Prophecy Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2) by Elizabeth Haydon Destiny Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3) by Elizabeth Haydon Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4) by Elizabeth Haydon Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5) by Elizabeth Haydon The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6) by Elizabeth Haydon

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments You're too funny Lisa! If I haven't completed A Song of Ice and Fire and I haven't even started Outlander do you really think I've read Symphony of Ages?

You know I'm just teasing you, right? :o)

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments **hee hee* Yeah, Megan, but I bet you are caught up on all the vamp series out there. :)

You know I'm just teasing you right back, right? :o)

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments LOL, of course I know that, you know I love you! :o)

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments (((Cyber hugs to Megan!)))

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Hey, maybe Kit★ has read the Symphony of Ages series. Kit★? Where are you when we need you?

message 25: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Yes? Here I am! Had a busy weekend couldn't get on the computer for almost 4 whole days! I thought I was gonna die! Lol. No, haven't read them, but they look pretty good!

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 23, 2011 01:54AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Maybe next year we start them, hmmm, Kit★? Do them as a series, like, every other month since there are six?

BTW, glad you are back on goodreads!

message 27: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Sounds good to me, I'll start looking for the first one :)

message 28: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) hadn't planned on participating in the group read but since I finally got the book from the library this month and am slowly working my way through it so I guess I'll try to join in. I've got the audio version and I'm a little more than a third of the way through it.

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Yay!

message 30: by Kelley (last edited Aug 24, 2011 05:54PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Megan wrote: "Yay!"

LOL yeah. I've been on the waiting list since oh... April, when the series started on HBO. LOL Took me until a couple weeks ago to finally get to the top of the list.

message 31: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Okay, I finally finished this one a couple days ago. Whew! At 2.5 times the length of the average bookI read, I thought vacation would be great. I read it in the car, at night, at the beach. It took a long time, but being a real page turner, I enjoyed it.

I feel as though the subtitle of Game of Thrones should be 'Manly Men Doing Manly Things'.

One of my literary pet peeves is authors who take an entire book just to set you up to buy the next one. Seriously, with this many characters, you would think SOMEONE'S story would be partly resolved, but no - everyone is left pretty much hanging in the balance.

Now for the juicy stuff - Lisa I'm trying out your spoiler instructions!

Did anyone figure out (view spoiler)

One of my favorite things about this book was the direwolves. Lisa, can you let me know if we see nymeria in any of the other books? I just don't think the door is closed on that thread yet.

I did think this book was incredibly well written. Despite all of the strange things these characters did, you always knew WHY they did them - even if they cryptic reason is 'to keep a secret' in some roundabout away. Might read the others in the series - but recovering for a while with something less violent.

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2011 03:38PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Zoe, First off CONGRATS! Second, I totally understand your need to find something less violent. I am almost at the end of #3, A Storm of Swords and some most things are still unresolved. And there are over 600 characters in that book, LOL!

I had the same favorite characters that you did, which is another reason I had to space light, fluffy reads in between. So...
(view spoiler)

Did you know you could put a spoiler withing a spoiler? Nope, neither did I. But it is fun!

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I'm glad you finished Zoe!! It took me forever to read, even though it was a page turner!

(view spoiler)

I'm going to reading A Clash of Kings as my first September book. And really looking forward to it. I hear you Zoe, after I finished A Game of Thrones I needed some romance books to get all the violent stuff out of my system!

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Megan! (view spoiler)

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2011 03:43PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I must clarify that some questions are answered as the series goes on, but for every one answered two more questions sprout from it.

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Also... (view spoiler)

message 37: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Lisa- LMAO! I guess everything is a surprise. And I totally believe that once you get a question answered that more questions pop up. I'm still wondering who (view spoiler)

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2011 06:02PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Megan, the answer to that one if pretty much confirmed by the end of A Storm of Swords - unless GRRM is leading us astray. But I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed by several POV characters. I, of course, wanted a confession from the one who did it, LOL!

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Oh man, Lisa! That means I have to wait until the end of the 3rd book to know that!! OMG!! That's a long wait to see who actually ordered something that happened at the beginning of the first book!!

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2011 06:15PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yeah, well. That is GRRM for you. What I worry about is that it took almost six years to get #5 written and there are two more books after that. Plus, there is suppose to be several huge cliffhangers at the end of A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin . This latest is also suppose to be very violent (ADWD). While I will say the series is very well written and the plot lines are delish, I would probably not have started this series b/c each book is so dependant on the rest. It really is one long, epic story.

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Yeah, I know how long it took him to write #s 4 and 5, which is why I'm going to try to take my time/as long as possible with this series to give him a chance to write the last two!!

message 42: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LMAO! Good strategy!

message 43: by Zoe (new)

Zoe So Lisa, it's not done? I mean, I knew another had just come out, but HOW many books are in the series?

And yes, that's what I thought about Jon Snow. I actually really like the Others (or whatever we're calling them) plot from beyond the wall.

I hope to God this guy has copious notes, because what if he dies before he finishes them? That would be totally unfair - leaving so many people hanging....ugh! Still, a ripping good read, especially if you're male. (of course, I'm not).

Someone saw me reading on the ferry and asked if I had seen the mini series. I said no - and frankly, as much as I like Sean Bean (sp) I have no desire to see all of these dreadful happenings acted out. At leas in my head I can turn off the visual. One of my friends said they did some pretty nasty stuff, but the thing that freaked her out the most was the 6 year old (Robert) breastfeeding. Nice way to add a creepy element to that , er....couple. Of weirdos.

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Zoe,

Yes, all this politicking going on while there is such a huge threat on the other side of the Wall. Pretty good plot, that.

There are going to be a total of seven books. So, this might not end for another 10-12 or more years! Ugh! There was one series where another author had to finish it wasn't there? The Wheel of something or other, right? GRRM has plenty of notes, supposedly. However, he is heavily involved in the mini-series, so I don’t know how much that will detract or motivate his writing. Let’s hope he’s manic. (I know, I’m a terrible person.)

You are right about the male readers; but thank goodness for Dany!

I haven't seen the mini-series either, and I understand your point! People in the NBRC “buddy read” said that breast feeding scene was gross.

♥Sean Bean♥

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Love the pic Lisa!! :o)

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments :D

message 47: by Zoe (new)

Zoe So does anyone know who Sean Bean plays in the miniseries?

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2011 05:45PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sean Bean = Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark

message 49: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Ahhhh! Now I definitely can't watch it!

message 50: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Not really on topic, but on a parenting website I saw this big section all about breastfeeding and there was this news-clip about a mom in Britain who still breastfeeds her 8 year old daughter. Like, the girl came home from school and was all, "mummy, I want a snack" so the mom lifted up her shirt and... yea it was kind of sick. Babies I can understand but 3rd graders? No way man. And since they were on the news, just imagine what that kid would go through at school afterwards... probably wouldn't be pretty.

« previous 1