Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > flash cards?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Hi, I just looked in the librarian manual to refresh my memory but I still have a question - are flash cards to be NAB'd?
I came across a member who had added some DVDs (with a description stating she knew it wasn't allowed but hoped GR would be okay with this because she has a reason.)
I NAB'd the books and sent her a message telling her why. I noticed some flash cards and after looking at the librarian change log noticed one librarian had done a decent amount of work trying to get them fixed. The member went behind the librarian to undo everything.
So, long story short(er), I went ahead and redid them and she undid them again. I had sent a message and she sent one back, not very friendly, stating she has her reasons and wants things left alone.
NAB? No NAB? Someone direct me here! :-D

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments I would say no, they should be NAB, but a flash card to me is a card with a picture and a word others may have different experiences of them. The way I see it is if we start shelving flash cards with a picture and a word on them, then we have to start letting things like Tarot cards be shelved they have a picture and a word on them to.

message 3: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments I have been NABing them since they are cards as opposed to books. Flash cards, tarot cards, playing cards, greeting cards.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments I agree NAB. Sheet music has words, too...but it's not a book..it doesn't tell a story...fiction or nonfiction. Coloring books with single words under a picture are NAB, to my understanding...coloring books that tell story, are not, for example.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (last edited Jul 25, 2011 12:52AM) (new)

Lobstergirl Bound sheet music is considered a book and should not be nabbed.

The author description of NOT A BOOK has a useful list.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 6: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments True, but just Sheet Music (not bound) in not. Sometimes it isn't obvious, in that case it's best to leave it alone.

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Back to the original post - I agree with the others: cards are not books and should be NABbed.

If there is a problem with constant reversals, I would send rivka a message with the details and some links and let her handle it. The member may need librarian privileges revoked if they are deliberately ignoring the Manual.

message 8: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Thanks guys, I was MIA for awhile but this helps. And actually, one of the people who commented here was also worked on the same cards but the member keeps undoing all the work.
I messaged her and she was NOT happy about the changes. I tried to explain to her why we do and don't have what we do and don't have on our site but she wasn't really trying to listen.
I eventually gave up because I didn't want to fight with her. I had all of her listings proper but I'm sure by now she's undone it all again.

message 9: by Nathanael (new)

Nathanael Coyne (nathanaelbc) | 5 comments What about something like Thinkpak (9781580087728) that has both a booklet and cards? Personally I think all my card decks including Roger von Oech's Innovative Whack Pack and IDEO Method Cards should be allowed as publications ...