Clean Reads discussion

Clean Reads Book Club > August Reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 130 comments I have already thought about some new reads for August. They are I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg and The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard. I'd like to hear about some of the other suggestions you guys have.

message 2: by Mandi (last edited Jul 19, 2011 03:14PM) (new)

Mandi Slack (mandituckerslack) | 8 comments I'm a little behind times, but I'm starting on the Hunger Games series...I'm excited. I've heard they are great books...but I don't really know the rating...
Mandi
Author of The Alias/LDS fiction
www.mandituckerslack.com

message 3: by Lanetta (new)

Lanetta | 34 comments I have also heard the hunger games are great books so I began to read the first one and had to stop. It was just too much for me and gave me nightmares. If I was to rate the book I would say it was PG13 and would only recommend that if read it be read by high school and older (If I had kids I wouldn't let them read it until they were 14 or 16, leaning more to 16- 18). I know others who are reading it at age 10 and LOVE it. I am just very senstitve to all the killing.

message 4: by Mandi (new)

Mandi Slack (mandituckerslack) | 8 comments Lanetta wrote: "I have also heard the hunger games are great books so I began to read the first one and had to stop. It was just too much for me and gave me nightmares. If I was to rate the book I would say it was..."

Thanks, Lanetta...that is really good to know :)I haven't really heard anything other than "they're good", so I'm glad I asked. Thank you.
Mandi
Author of The Alias/LDS Fiction
www.mandituckerslack.com

message 5: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 18 comments You can check out a review at

http://www.theliteratemother.org/the-...

I won't let my kids read the first one until they are 14, 16 for the second one and 18 for the third. I never really read the third, just had a friend summarize it for me. Too depressing. I really did like the books, but there is definitley a lot to discuss with kids as they read it.

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Willis (marilynsmuses) | 15 comments Ditto on to violent. I couldn't read it either.

message 7: by Mandi (new)

Mandi Slack (mandituckerslack) | 8 comments Hi,

Thanks so much for the feedback...I don't care a whole lot for very violent books. I can watch violent movies easier than reading...I think my mind conjures up way too much when I read, so that's great to know. Thanks again...
Mandi
Author of The Alias
www.mandituckerslack.com

message 8: by Marla (new)

Marla | 45 comments Hunger Games is an excellent book, but it is very violent...I describe it as Survivor meets the Most Dangerous Game.

There isn't any sex, but they do sleep in the same bed. And drinking and drugs.

message 9: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 130 comments how about unless by carol shields?