Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > from reacher's facebook page

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments (don't shoot the messenger)

Jack Reacher Official
It's official! Tom Cruise has agreed to play Reacher in Paramount's ONE SHOT; filming in Pittsburgh begins on September 27, 2011, the same day Reacher novel #16 THE AFFAIR goes on sale in the US and Canada (Sept 29th in the UK, AU, NZ). Can you believe that it's FINALLY GOING TO HAPPEN? Woo hoo!

Maggie
webmaven@leechild.com

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Oh, YUCK!!! I don't even like the Reacher books, and this makes me want to puke!!!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments That is terrible casting, just like when he was picked to play Lestat. He isn't even tall!!!!!!

message 4: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments I think "oh yuck" just about covers it.

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments How'd they skip over Richard Simmons?

message 6: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments How about pee wee Herman

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments Noooooooooooooo!

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments I'm gagging. I can't imagine there is one Reacher fan who likes this news, even if s/he is a Tom Cruise fan.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments As MQC posted on Facebook, I thought about the situation and feel bad for Lee Child and his staff who have to put a brave face on something they would have been highly unlikely to have selected themselves. Tom Cruise doesn't have the commanding presence to pull off the things Reacher has done.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Agreed, Ann. Ann wrote: "As MQC posted on Facebook, I thought about the situation and feel bad for Lee Child and his staff who have to put a brave face on something they would have been highly unlikely to have selected the..."

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Ann wrote: "As MQC posted on Facebook, I thought about the situation and feel bad for Lee Child and his staff who have to put a brave face on something they would have been highly unlikely to have selected the..."

i agree, too. he's taking quite a bashing on his FB page for the cruise selection.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments I haven't read the FB page, but I wonder how fair that is. I remember authors like Connelly and Lehane saying that once they sold the rights to Hollywood for their novels they understood they gave up the right to dictate the choices they made about filming. Did Lee Child retain the right to approve the actor selected for Reacher?

Sherry wrote: "i agree, too. he's taking quite a bashing on his FB page for the cruise selection. ..."

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments No Carol...he had absolutely no rights to approve the selection. That's why I feel bad for him...his web manager Maggie is trying really hard to win people over, but she is steering a sinking ship.

My other not as nice comments about the casting: I guess mini-me was not available!

I'm glad LC won't be at BC this year so I won't have to watch him be eviscerated by his fans. Plus I could never keep my mouth shut either...don't care how many latte's he buys me.

I'm really invested in Reacher and this series and feel I have a right to my disgust and disappointment. I hope I can still read the new books without thinking of the shrimp with the acting range of a broken kneecap.

Aahh...now, on to more positive things.

Read THE END OF EVERYTHING by Megan Abbott and absolutely loved it. Best book of the year so far for me! Miss you all but can only spend limited time online these days. Anyone who is interested is welcome to join the Facebook book group Ann and Carol mentioned.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/177...

message 14: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments I was never a Cruise fan at all. I'll just skip the movie and read the books using my imagination.

message 15: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments I still think this will be worth a road trip. If it is that bad, we can drink afterward.

message 16: by Sherry (last edited Jul 19, 2011 05:57PM) (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Barry wrote: "I still think this will be worth a road trip. If it is that bad, we can drink afterward."

agreed. or eat lots of cake.. or do both..

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments The company and the dinner / drinks afterwards are priceless! I'll probably wait for the DVD in this case. BTW The Lincoln Layer DVD is just out! Great casting there.
Barry wrote: "I still think this will be worth a road trip. If it is that bad, we can drink afterward."

message 18: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments You're welcome to come north Ann.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments I do wish I could, Barry! Maybe someday!
Barry wrote: "You're welcome to come north Ann."

message 20: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments ...and we were keeping it hot just for you.

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Now that's an idea, I hadn't thought about the road trip possibilities. We HAVE to do that, if only to share our snide comments over a drink after.

Barry wrote: "I still think this will be worth a road trip. If it is that bad, we can drink afterward."

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Gee, thanks, Barry! Wishing we could all go to this road trip after movie party!
Barry wrote: "...and we were keeping it hot just for you."

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments on a happier note gleaned from the Bookreporter newsletter: Lee Child's new book, The Affair is a prequel to Killing Floor and gives background on why Reacher left the military. :)

message 24: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments as for the movie casting faux pas, the books will be enough for me; and if I don't see the movie, hopefully it won't ruin my mental picture of Reacher.

message 25: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Ann wrote: "as for the movie casting faux pas, the books will be enough for me; and if I don't see the movie, hopefully it won't ruin my mental picture of Reacher."

An example of good casting, IMO, was Mathew McConaghy in The Lincoln Lawyer.

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments I totally agree Dan! I have no problem at all now visualizing Matthew McConaughey as Mickey Haller! None at all. ;)
Daniel wrote: "An example of good casting, IMO, was Mathew McConaghy in The Lincoln Lawyer. "

message 27: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Daniel wrote: "Ann wrote: "as for the movie casting faux pas, the books will be enough for me; and if I don't see the movie, hopefully it won't ruin my mental picture of Reacher."

An example of good casting, IMO..."

I agree, too! McConaughey was really good in that part.

message 28: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Ann, I have no problem visualizing Matthew McConaughey at all, LOL.

Ann wrote: "I totally agree Dan! I have no problem at all now visualizing Matthew McConaughey as Mickey Haller! None at all. ;)
Daniel wrote: "An example of good casting, IMO, was Mathew McConaghy in The Linc..."

message 29: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments I have no problem visualizing Matthew McConaughey at all, LOL.

Dream on, Carol.

message 30: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Daniel wrote: "I have no problem visualizing Matthew McConaughey at all, LOL.

Dream on, Carol."

I am, believe me!

message 31: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments I received an email from Amazon today:
The next Jack Reacher novel is called, "The Affair"
Release date: September 27,2011