Writing Passionates discussion

Games & Contests > help with this one thing....

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Sep 24, 2008 05:57PM) (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) okay, in double english we just read the lady or the tiger. so mrs. ciardullo gave us a ridle-like thing:

theres two guards guarding two identical doors, one is good and one is bad. one guard always tells the truth and the other one always lies. you can ask one guard only one question.

or words nothing like that, but which mean the same thing. yall are smart....a little help here??

message 2: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments So behind one door is a lady, and the other door has a tiger.

I've heard this one before. You have to ask one of them something about the other one ... I can't remember which one is which. You have to ask one of them if the other would tell you something is behind a certain door ... I can't remember how it goes. Let me think....

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) kk, thanx.

message 4: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
Oh, I know that one! That riddle was part of a story that I read, called The Book of Dead Things!

You have to ask one guard which door the other guard would say. because then you choose the opposite door, becacuse either way, it would contain the bad thing.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) how does that work though??

message 6: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) Alright, let me explain it. Put yourself into an imagination surrender.
You come to two doors. Guarding them are two guards. One guard tells the truth, one tells lies. So, you ask one what the other one what the other one would say. If it says that the other one would tell the truth, then they're telling a lie. And if the other one says the other one would tell a lie, they're telling a lie too. So you either have to walk away or go into one. Either one would have something bad.

message 7: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) Oh by the way that's an awesome title. The Book of Dead Things. So Emo!

message 8: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
I get it. It works because if you ask the one who always lies what the other person would say, he would lie and tell you that the person who tells the truth would go to the bad door. So he'll point to that one, and so you should go to the other one.

Then, if you ask the one who always tells the truth what the other person would say, he would tell the truth and tell you the person who tells lies would tell you to go through the bad door, and points to that. So choose opposite.

message 9: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
yes, sella said what I was trying to say. except she explained it better.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) oh!!! thank you!!

message 11: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) Looking back, I honestly don't understand mine.

message 12: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
lol, thanks. XD