Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Reviews and Recommendations > The year's half over: what's the best thing you've read...so far?

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki I'm going with "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments For me it's LEFT NEGLECTED by Lisa Genova, with the one I'm reading now, THOSE WHO SAVE US by Jenna Blum, only a whisker behind.

message 3: by Melissa (last edited Jul 15, 2011 08:52AM) (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments It's a tough decision, but I'll have to say State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.

message 4: by Melki (new)

Melki That's been getting some amazing reviews. It's already on my list.

message 5: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Decisions, decisions...

Traveling Light: A Novel by Katrina Kittle

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Fiction- Child 44
Non-fiction- Columbine

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz I can never narrow these things down to just one. I'd say Room, How to Bake a Perfect Life & the The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) Very predictable but girl with Dragon Tattoo trilogy

message 9: by Caroline (last edited Jul 16, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Caroline  (caro7) The one I finished a few days ago: The Magicians by Lev Grossman

message 10: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) I haven't read that much this year, but the ones I've rated 5 stars are: City of Thieves, The Last Unicorn, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments It's a toss up. I am torn between State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. Both were new authors for me, but since reading them I have read Bel Canto (it was wonderful too) and I am starting Look at Me by Jennifer Egan tonight. I read so much that it is a huge thrill to find new authors I really dig. Finding 2 in 2 months has put me over the moon

message 12: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) Heather, I loved Bel Canto. I remember thinking it would be a great book for a discussion.

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa While there have been several books I have liked so far this year, I think the only two I have thought were excellent were The Passage and A Lesson in Secrets. The first is in a genre I don't normally read, so that came as a real surprise. The second is from one of my favorite mystery series, and I really like the character of Maisie Dobbs.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Mary wrote: "For me it's LEFT NEGLECTED by Lisa Genova, with the one I'm reading now, THOSE WHO SAVE US by Jenna Blum, only a whisker behind."

If you like Those Who Save Us, you should check out Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Okay, thanks Heather! I'll do that! I recognize the name but it's one I haven't read.

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Thanks for the recommendation, Heather! That looks really good. I've heard of the title, but didn't know what it was about.

message 17: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Theresa wrote: "While there have been several books I have liked so far this year, I think the only two I have thought were excellent were The Passage and A Lesson in Secrets. The fi..."

ITA about The Passage. Haven't read the second one you mentioned. The Passage is so admirably complex--without being confusing-- with characters I cared about and was deeply interested in. It is a far, FAR better story than what the book jacket summarizes. I am very excited for the sequel in 2012.

message 18: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) I agree. Stones from the River is a wonderful book!

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Yes, Stones from the River is one of my favorites, too! I have read it several times--I especially like to take it when I am traveling.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth Colarossi | 16 comments For me it is Unbroken

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Beth wrote: "For me it is Unbroken"

Ooh, good one, I had forgotten about Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption. I loved it too!

message 22: by Cyndie (new)

Cyndie Todd (cyndietodd) | 1 comments Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption  by Laura Hillenbrand followed by Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell

message 23: by Libby (new)

Libby I'd have to say The Paris Wife!

message 24: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_d) I'm sitting here writing down all these books so I know what to look for at the library! I think this year so far The Passage and Room were my top rated books so far!

message 25: by Joe (new)

Joe | 6 comments CJ Box can take me away to Wyoming in an instant. His depiction of everything that is Wyoming is so real..life like....it's a welcome retreat from the HOT and HUMID summer in Indiana

message 26: by Melki (new)

Melki Box can certainly write some page-turners. I've read Blue Heaven and Three Weeks to Say Goodbye. One of these days I'm going to start the Joe Pickett novels.

message 27: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I haven't read anything by CJ Box. I just ordered Open Season, #1 in the Joe Pickett series. Looking forward to it. Any recommendations on stand alones from CJ Box?

message 28: by Melki (new)

Melki Stacey, the two I mentioned are stand-alones. Let me know what you think of the first in the series.

message 29: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I've not read any of Box's stand alones. However, his newest sounds good Back of Beyond. Might try to pick that one up.

message 30: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) The Dragon Tattoo trilogy I really enjoyed

message 31: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_d) Oh, I might have to add another one! I just finished The Hypnotist - and if you like the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson, this would be a great follow up!

message 34: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Lynne - The Book Squirrel wrote: "No and Me by Delphine de Vigan and When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman which I have nearly finished."

Those both sound great Lynne!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Finished When God Was a Rabbit at midnight. It was so good! Shed a tear or two near the end, but hey, what are books supposed to do but speak to you and give you strong emotions - whether sad, or funny?

message 36: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) Miranda wrote: "Oh, I might have to add another one! I just finished The Hypnotist - and if you like the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson, this would be a great follow up!"

Thanks like the look of that and put on to read list
Bob

message 37: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Melki wrote: "I'm going with "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt."

I am reading this right now and find it wonderfully quirky.

message 38: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Theresa wrote: "Melki wrote: "I'm going with "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt."

I am reading this right now and find it wonderfully quirky."

Have this on my wish list getting more and more interested.

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abm513) | 1 comments Another vote for Unbroken!

message 40: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Lynne - The Book Squirrel wrote: "Finished When God Was a Rabbit at midnight. It was so good! Shed a tear or two near the end, but hey, what are books supposed to do but speak to you and give you strong emotions - wh..."

Thanks for the rec. The cover is beautiful too.

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth Colarossi | 16 comments Finished Mudbound last night and miss it already. Character development and writing is wonderful

message 42: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) Miranda wrote: "Oh, I might have to add another one! I just finished The Hypnotist - and if you like the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson, this would be a great follow up!"

Miranda
i MISSED THIS RECOMMENDATION but on reading about it will put on to read list
thanks
Bob

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Caroline wrote: "Theresa wrote: "While there have been several books I have liked so far this year, I think the only two I have thought were excellent were The Passage and A Lesson in Secrets at the library this week. When I read the jacket I thought it sounded like a book my husband might like, so he is reading it right now and enjoying it very much. My turn is next!

message 44: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Heather wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Theresa wrote: "While there have been several books I have liked so far this year, I think the only two I have thought were excellent were The Passage and [book:A Le..."

My husband read it before I did too, though I found out about it first and recommended it to him. He loved it.

message 45: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan was definitely the biggest disappointment I've had bookwise this year, after all the hype and the GR challenge for it I really expected something brilliant, instead I ended up with a one star read. I was not impressed!

message 46: by Heather (new)

Heather | 55 comments Sam wrote: "A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan was definitely the biggest disappointment I've had bookwise this year, after all the hype and the GR challenge for it I re..."

I completely agree, Sam. I just could not get engaged in the stories.

message 47: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments Heather wrote: "Sam wrote: "A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan was definitely the biggest disappointment I've had bookwise this year, after all the hype and the GR challenge..."

I found that, I think the stories themselves were so disjointed. I don't know whether they would have worked better as distinctly separate short stories rather than a 'novel'.

message 48: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I've heard an interview with Egan, and she talks about the form of the book, admitting that it certainly isn't a novel. She compares it to the concept album. I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would, though I'm actually not a fan of concept albums!

message 49: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments Theresa wrote: "I've heard an interview with Egan, and she talks about the form of the book, admitting that it certainly isn't a novel. She compares it to the concept album. I ended up liking it a lot more than ..."

Which I'd known that before I read it, for some reason it came across as more of a novel than anything else. Even though I knew it jumped around between characters and time (I've read others that do the same but in a more coherent way) it still drove me mad reading it!