Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Frankenstein - Best Version?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jul 14, 2011 11:15PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 243 comments I was thinking about listening to Frankenstein, but my library has several versions. I was just wondering if anyone had listened to it and, if so, was your version good/bad? My library has the following:

year - narrator - length
1993 - Tom Casaletto - 7 discs
2003 - Jim Weiss - 9 discs
1993 - George Guidall - 9 discs
2002 - Ralph Cosham - 6 discs

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice Sara ♥ wrote: "I was thinking about listening to Frankenstein, but my library has several versions. I was just wondering if anyone had listened to it and, if so, was your version good/bad? My libra..."

I am not familiar with the other narrators listed, but you can't go wrong with George Guidall, he has always done a great job on anything I have listened to him read.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 66 comments Guidall is great.

It looks like 2 of those editions are abridged.

message 4: by binter (new)

binter | 217 comments There's a Kenneth Branagh edition (abridged) on Audible.

message 5: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jul 16, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 243 comments I have doubts about the Ralph Cosham being unabridged, but the others are all unabridged for sure. Tom there must read very quickly... I put the first 3 on hold. I'll listen to a bit of each, and see which one I like best, I guess!

message 6: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jul 21, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 243 comments Tom Casaletto sounds like a computer... It's kind of mesmerizing. I could seriously fall asleep to this, but there is SO little emotion in the words, I can't hardly tell them apart. BLAH.

Jim Weiss reads REALLY SLOWLY... His voice sounds really familiar though... Ah ha! The Chosen. His voice was good for that, but I'm not sure I'd be able to sit here and listen to him read Frankenstein.

I haven't gotten the George Guidall version yet, but I'm guessing it's gonna win...