Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Listing my books correctly

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 604 comments I'm not sure what you mean as all those books are showing correctly.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 604 comments When I view your profile I see 5 books listed there including the ones in your post above.

message 3: by Abcdarian (last edited Jul 14, 2011 09:06PM) (new)

Abcdarian | 19785 comments If you check the "combine editions" link Julia, it actually shows 11 editions [edit: now up to 13] combined into 6 different books. I tried to separate out the answer key from the manual, but am getting an error message [data missing, whatever that means].

I found an edition of Too Clever with an incorrect spelling of your name, which seemed to be preventing that from showing up on your profile page, but it's ok now.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43496 comments Mod
Many books have multiple editions, each with its own ISBN. If they have the same content (or slightly edited/modified content), they get linked into a single "work" made up of the different editions.

Otherwise Tolkein would have about 6000 books.

message 5: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments On Goodreads each unique ISBN is considered an "edition". "Editions" that have the same text are combined into a single "work". Foreign translations (in this case Spanish) are also combined with the original work.

You have 13 unique ISBN's combined into 7 distinct works. What you see listed on your profile page are the 7 works, with the most popular ISBN showing for each of those works. When a user clicks on one of those works, there are taken to the book page for the most popular edition (the one shown on your profile). On the left is a list of all the other editions (unique ISBN's) that contain the same text, and have been combine together as a distinct work. If a user clicks on the header on the left that says "other editions" they can select the exact ISBN they want to shelve.

That way users can select their exact ISBN, but, when looking at reviews, can see all reviews for all editions of that work.

I did separate out the Answer Key from the Activity Manual. Also, I see Too Clever listed under your books. I kept all the editions of The Abcs Of Caribbean Fruits And Vegetables! together. Goodreads does not separate foreign language editions. If the earlier version of the book (9781608441013) has the same text, just different illustrations, it would also be combined with the other editions. If there are substantial differences in the text, let me know, and I will separate it out as a distinct work

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 604 comments Julia wrote: "Also, had I known the policy of Goodreads in regard to the foreign books, I would have kept it off."

Why? If you search either the ISBN or the Spanish title it still comes up with the correct book.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments The other Spanish edition, isbn #145372852X, is coming from Amazon. It's showing no longer available, but it's still there: http://www.amazon.com/ABECEDARIO-FRUT...

The "old" editions don't disappear from GR...because some folks have them, or have read them, or may pick a copy up at a yard sale or used book store...and want to shelve them. And if we delete any of them, like the "other" Spanish edition, and someone "searches" for the isbn that they picked up at some point, it will reimport the info from Amazon, again.

On the business manual, am I understanding correctly that what is incorrect is the cover? When I search Amazon for isbn# 0972878904, I get this link, with a different cover: http://www.amazon.com/Storme-Business....

But has it *ever* had the cover that's currently showing on the GR entry? If so, we need to do an "alternate cover" edition...so that folks who have each cover will be accommodated, and can shelve the edition with the cover that they recognize.

Bear with us...we'll get it all sorted.