Romance Audiobooks discussion

General Audio & Off Topic > "friend" requests on Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments Is anyone besides me getting Goodread friend requests from people that don't seem to have anything in common with your profile? Where are these people getting the idea to friend me - they are not reading romance or audiobooks, from looking at their profiles. Weird. I'm just ignoring them but it strikes me as slightly creepy. Maybe this wouldn't bother me on Facebook, but on Goodreads, I'm here to discuss books! (maybe I'm just cranky??)

message 2: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments I've gotten a few of those. I ignore friend requests unless they add a comment about why their friending me. Maybe some people collect friends? I don't know.

I think there's a way to add a question to your profile that people have to answer if they try to friend you.

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'll add pretty much anyone, but I'll make them not a "top" friend so I don't get their reviews, etc. There are a lot of authors that will add and I don't have a problem with them at all. As long as they don't bug me all the time.

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I have a question on my profile asking people 'where have we met before.' If we've discussed books in any group, I accept the request.

Sometimes I get requests from people I don't know but I only accept it if we have some things in common.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I have a where do I know you from question on my profile as well...I look at what they say, compare books to see what we have in common and how much (ie. if I see you gave a bunch of my fav authors 1-2 stars, then i'm going to be less likely to friend you if we only have limited books in common) - stuff like that...if you friend me one than once after I say no, then I block you stuff like that

message 6: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments I'm picky about friending people because my shelf is audio only and I don't want to get too distracted. :) I do well to keep up with the Speaking of Audiobooks group. I've found myself wanting to add recommended books that aren't audio and have to content myself with "liking" the review so I can reference it later.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 48 comments Melinda wrote: "Is anyone besides me getting Goodread friend requests from people that don't seem to have anything in common with your profile? Where are these people getting the idea to friend me - they are not r..."

I would get people accepting me as thier friend on facebook when I never asked them to! I thought that was strange so I cancelled my facebook acount.

message 8: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments I didn't know about the challenge question - thanks, I just added one.

Basically, I'm here to yap about audiobooks with you guys! So when some random guy sends a friend request, and he's got nothing but action thriller fiction in his list (or a lot of books in other languages?), I'm wondering what is up with that!

I actually do recognize people here from paperbackswap.com, and friend them - again, our commonality is books. But I don't find myself trolling Goodreads looking for Mr Goodbar, and after getting a few of those requests, I was starting to get paranoid.

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Once again glad I didn't have anything in my mouth that could have hit my laptops keyboard when reading your post Melinda. :D

"trolling Goodreads looking for Mr Goodbar" LOL

I've had to block more than one of these weird guys. I hit ignore and if they request a second time it's straight to block. I'm more than happy to add more audio friends but not these odd random requests.

message 10: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Brenda wrote: "Once again glad I didn't have anything in my mouth that could have hit my laptops keyboard when reading your post Melinda. :D

"trolling Goodreads looking for Mr Goodbar" LOL

I've had to block m..."

Yep, I've had a few of the random guy friend requests too (creepy). I don't currently have a challenge question on my profile (may add one sometime in the future). Like a few of you mentioned, I generally stick to those interested in romance audiobooks. I also compare our book shelves to see if we have similar tastes.