Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Last Night in Twisted River
This topic is about Last Night in Twisted River
Aug-Sep 2011 Group Read > Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving.

Stephen King says: "It starts with the accidental killing of a Native American woman (the youngster who brains her with a skillet mistakes her for a bear). Father and son take off, pursued by the relentless Constable Carl for nearly 50 years. There’s a lot of Canada here, a lot of cookin’, and a lot of gorgeous (and cynical) Americana. Irving’s best since Garp."

Lonnie checked the book out from my library for my Nook. Barely started but seems to be starting off okay, if not a little slow for my taste. Maybe it will pick up in a few more pages.

Lonnie wrote: "checked the book out from my library for my Nook. Barely started but seems to be starting off okay, if not a little slow for my taste. Maybe it will pick up in a few more pages."

It's certainly ok to start early. Sorry it's going a little slow for you. Keep us posted!

Rocio (scarlet86) | 50 comments just ordered mine, hope it arrives soon !!!

message 5: by Debra (last edited Jul 22, 2011 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scarlet86 wrote: "just ordered mine, hope it arrives soon !!!"

You've got plenty of time. Glad to hear you are in on the read!

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I think I may look for this one on audio at the library.

message 7: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Burns | 3 comments I read "Twisted River" a couple of years ago and loved it. I am a King fan and a John Irving fan. There always has to be a "bear" with Irving! For those just starting the book, hang in - it gets really good!

Dee wrote: "I read "Twisted River" a couple of years ago and loved it. I am a King fan and a John Irving fan. There always has to be a "bear" with Irving! For those just starting the book, hang in - it gets re..."

Good to hear from some Irving fans. The only book I've read of his was The World According to Garp and I loved it. Don't know why I never got around to reading more of his stuff.

message 9: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1093 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "I read "Twisted River" a couple of years ago and loved it. I am a King fan and a John Irving fan. There always has to be a "bear" with Irving! For those just starting the book, hang in - it gets re..."

I've vaguely wondered about the "bear thing" because of The Hotel New Hampshire, but never taken the time to research that theory.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

message 10: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just put myself in the queue for this from the library. Only one person is ahead of me, so hopefully I will get it on time, or be able to catch up.

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Burns | 3 comments "Twisted River" was very engaging for me...it did save me during an awful air layover but I would have kept reading it anyway!

Karen  (EarthAngel2911) (karens_923) I have this ebook all ready on my Kindle, but I'm not going to start it until next week. Just so many books to read right now, but it's definitely there waiting for me. :-)

I'm going to start Twisted River in a day or two. Who's in?

message 14: by Rocio (new) - rated it 1 star

Rocio (scarlet86) | 50 comments I'm starting on next Monday, I'm in the middle of another book and I want to give me time to read it CAUSE IS SO GOOD !!!

Lonnie I'm a 100 or so pages into it. Pretty good. The 2 criteria I follow on reviewing a book is 1) does it flow well and 2)did I care what happens next. So far this book is hitting well on both of those criteria.

Lonnie wrote: "I'm a 100 or so pages into it. Pretty good. The 2 criteria I follow on reviewing a book is 1) does it flow well and 2)did I care what happens next. So far this book is hitting well on both of th..."

Excellent news, Lonnie. Looks like I'll be starting tomorrow as I'm finishing up a book tonight.

I decided to create separate discussions for each part (group of chapters) of this book. If it works out, we will break up all group read discussions into chapters so members can make comments as they go. If we find we don't like the format, then we will go with one big discussion for the whole book in future group reads.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Picked up the audio over the weekend, will start it in a week, after I get back from vacation.....

Amber | 126 comments I started it last week as an audiobook knowing that there's no way I'll be able to force myself to pick up another Irving novel. I'm currently on disc 6 of 20.

Amber wrote: "I started it last week as an audiobook knowing that there's no way I'll be able to force myself to pick up another Irving novel. I'm currently on disc 6 of 20."

Sounds like you aren't liking much?

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo Ann | 3 comments John Irving is one of my all time favorite authors but I do admit that this particular book was not one of my favorites. Just hang in there as it does get better. A couple of his books did not appeal to me when they first came out and ended up being favorites of mine when I finally got around to reading them. (SON OF THE CIRCUS) was one of them.

message 22: by Lisa (last edited Aug 04, 2011 05:04PM) (new)

Lisa | 4 comments Got the book from the library today,,,will start soon..have mixed feelings reading some of the posted comments..

Lisa wrote: "Got the book from the library today,,,will start soon..have mixed feelings reading some of the posted comments.."

It seems to be one of those "mixed feelings" kind of books. lol

Lonnie as I continue to read my opinion has dropped some. Hoping it picks up again soon.

Amber | 126 comments Debra wrote: "Amber wrote: "I started it last week as an audiobook knowing that there's no way I'll be able to force myself to pick up another Irving novel. I'm currently on disc 6 of 20."

Sounds like you ar..."

It has since picked up for me and I'm 'enjoying' it more than I thought I would. That being said, it's still not 'great'. I'm on disc 10 now, but I'm baffled as to how there can still be another 10 discs worth of story to go.

message 26: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) I put this one on hold a week ago. It had to be sent from another library, so it just came in today. One great thing about being in a book club is the ecouragement you get from the posts. In this case, I'll know to hang in there if the book starts out a little slow.

Mary Ann (bellabellacat) I just started reading this book. Look forward to the discussions.

message 28: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finally got my copy yesterday, will begin tomorrow.

Good to hear more people will be joining the group read discussions soon.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I started listening to this book today, I was having a hard time at first, mind you, I am only on disc 3 but disc 1 was really killing me - I kept thinking, this has got to get better!! And it did, like someone else said, it's not great, but it is okay so far. I'm going on vacation and I listen to audio while at work, so, this one will be on hold until I return to work, next week. stay tuned........

message 31: by Carly (new) - added it

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 14 comments I liked this story - took a while to get through it though. Irving always makes his yarns into a long drone.

There's only one of his I couldn't/didn't finish. Can't even think of the title - it's about the tattoo artists. It just went on too much for me.

message 32: by Carly (new) - added it

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 14 comments Twisted River, I can discuss, without doing the book over. I pretty well remember it.

Some of it (as Irving's books often do), takes place right here in Toronto.

message 33: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carly wrote: "There's only one of his I couldn't/didn't finish. Can't even think of the title - it's about the tattoo artists...."

I think you mean Until I Find You

Carly wrote: "I liked this story - took a while to get through it though. Irving always makes his yarns into a long drone.

There's only one of his I couldn't/didn't finish. Can't even think of the title - it'..."

Yes, it does seem to be a "long drone" or perhaps I should say long "tome." This is only my 2nd book by him, but he seems to enjoy writting stories that aren't so much about things happening or adventures, but more about the characters and what they are thinking... character studies. I found I had to let go of wanting the suspense and action, and just enjoy his quirky characters and their inexplicable actions.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Quirky characters..... hmmmm, I wonder if that is one of the things that drew Stephen King to the is author.

message 36: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Ok, I'm 55 pages in and almost at the quitting point. I've had enough backstory and ready for the GET ON WITH THE STORY ALREADY!

message 37: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Aug 18, 2011 12:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dani wrote: "Ok, I'm 55 pages in and almost at the quitting point. I've had enough backstory and ready for the GET ON WITH THE STORY ALREADY!"

At page 355 and FEEL THE SAME!!! ;o)

I think that the dissatisfaction with this book stems from our need as adrenaline junkies. As readers we may not be inclined to bungee jump from a cliff, but we do like our armchair thrills.

Twisted River actually has several violent or tense settings, yet the characters just go through daily life without doing much of anything thrilling. Sort of like OUR everyday life.

message 38: by Debra (last edited Aug 17, 2011 07:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

This doesn't seem to be the most popular book with our readers. I know I enjoy a bit more suspense, mystery, adventure, horror, or something exciting in my books (for the most part). Perhaps that is the same for most people here?

The book isn't bad, and I'm certainly engaged enough to complain about things the characters are doing! lol I think, as the host of the discussion I'm trying to be as objective as possible, and just make comments/ask questions that might encourage discussion. If I had been reading the book without this in mind, I'd be done by now, given it a 3-star rating, and moved on to something more up my alley!

I do wish we had chosen something more folks here would be excited about reading. I hope our next reads will be more engaging and generate more discussion.

message 39: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani LOL, hey, you can't please 'em all the time!

message 40: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani One thing that IS kind of cool, though, is that my heritage is in New England. My Dad is from Lowell Mass, and most of the family has now relocated to New Hampshire and the relatives were all at my parents' house over the weekend when I had started the book. I told my UNcle what I was reading and mentioned river to him and he said, "oh, they must have mentioned Berlin if they are talking about the loggin industry! You have relatives that live in Berlin." Kinda cool.

Hey, that IS cool!

Lonnie I agree with the book being a little disapointing. All I can keep saying to myself is "ENOUGH ABOUT FOOD!" everytime I pick up the book.

So far I feel like Irving had 10 or so of these little story ideas just laying around and he wanted to find someway to publish them as a novel. Tadah, let's just put them all together and find someway to tie them together and put a death defying hook to keep the readers interested.

Oh wait, these stories have different lead characters. How will he ever compensate for that? How 'bout making the characters change their names. yeah, that'll work. ;)

So far I am giving this book 2 stars. I'll keep reading until the end. Maybe something will redeem it.

Lonnie wrote: "I agree with the book being a little disapointing. All I can keep saying to myself is "ENOUGH ABOUT FOOD!" everytime I pick up the book.

So far I feel like Irving had 10 or so of these little sto..."

Lonnie, you are too funny. I appreciate your comments. Keep 'em coming!

message 44: by Karina (new) - added it

Karina (goodreadscomkmawditt) | 6 comments Am doing the books a bit backwards, I had put Fieldwork on hold at my library and purchased the John Irving book before leaving on holidays to my childhood home in Wpg, MB. I didn't bring the new book with me as I knew I wouldn't have any spare time to read (didn't!) but recieved a notification immediately when I got back from the library that my book was in.
lol so that's my story.I did find a used copy of King's "danse macabre" while in MB which was fab, have been searching for a copy for YEARS.
The Fieldwork book is a real treat, v detailed & makes one feel as though they are in Thailand with the character. Although technically it's partly fiction & partly a mystery, it doesn't come across mystery-like at all. Am suprised this isn't a Oprah's Book Club book! Hope you enjoy it and will keep you posted as to how I liked the John Irving book when I start it next month.

message 45: by Karina (new) - added it

Karina (goodreadscomkmawditt) | 6 comments Just finished Fieldwork, it was good all the way through. Will be starting the John Irving book Sunday/Monday as this weekend's pretty busy (dinner with girls from work tonite, Sat & Sun bday parties both days)

message 46: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani I give up. Life's too short to torture myself with a book that I don't enjoy. I have too many books on my list I want to read. I'll pick up again next month with Fieldwork. :)

Jennifer I am really enjoying the book! I had class all week with a lot of required reading so I am happy to have the time to read more of Twisted River this weekend! It has me completely engaged.

message 48: by Karina (new) - added it

Karina (goodreadscomkmawditt) | 6 comments wow Dani I can't believe you gave up on it! I've never done that before (ever!!) and I've got 10-15 books waiting to be read at home. if you're over the halfway mark, keep plugging: sometimes books take awhile to get good or have suprise endings!

message 49: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani I rarely give up, but this one I just can't take. I'm about 150 pages in and two interesting things have happened. The rest is absolute drivel and I just can't do it. My to-read list is too long. It just might not be the right time in my life right now.

message 50: by Linda (last edited Aug 19, 2011 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Thankfully I am listening to the audio version and not reading this book - I think I would have pulled my hair out by now!!! I have not given up on it - I just keep thinking that it is going to get better - what am I missing that King enjoyed about this book - so far I am not getting it!!!!! I think I am on disc 9, somewhere around chapters 6 or 7.

« previous 1