One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

Archive 1.0 > Halfway Mark -- How are you doing so far??

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Half the year has already zoomed by us! How are you doing on your 2011 reading goals so far?

message 2: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 14, 2011 07:19PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) So far, I am somewhat on track. My book goal went from 144 to 150 to 100, which is where it will stay. I'm 10 books behind right now, but happy with that :)

As far as pages go, don't think I'm going to reach 50,000 pages this year. Half the year is gone and I've only got 13,229. Still a possibility, but I don't see it happening since school will be starting in the next three weeks. Am lowering my page goal to 25,000.

message 3: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments On June 30th I was at 76,972 pages for the year. As far as book count GR says I'm "on track"- my goal is 400.

message 4: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Woah! Congrats! How many books have you gotten this year???

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments As of today, 216 books. I've been keeping track and 36 of them were over 500 pages. I've read quite a few over 1,000 pages this year.

message 6: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments You amaze me Shay! I just thought you should know... I am currently 1 book behind my goal, but probably more pages behind my goal. This year I was going for 25,000.

message 7: by Cee (new)

Cee | 141 comments As far as books go I'm right on track, I'm currently at 47, my goal being 75+ by the end of the year. I'm very much behind on pages though, I've only read 13,823 while I was trying for the 30,000. Oh well.

Doing great there Shay (;

message 8: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I am actually ahead on my goal of 75 books.

message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments Jencey wrote: "I am actually ahead on my goal of 75 books."

Are you going to increase your goal or keep it at 75? Even though I'm "on track", I usually read less in December. Too busy getting ready for Christmas. So, I think I'm actually behind. I need to probably be about 10 books ahead heading into December to meet my goal.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments i'm ahead but reading is going to be pretty much non-existant in august while I do my comprehensive exams, so i'll probably reevaluate in september on increasing my goal, i'm at 70% done right now

message 11: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Great reading to everyone!!!!

Shay- you really do amaze me!

Everyone will reach wonderful numbers this year, books and pages both. I can just tell!!!! :D

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) Everyone is doing really well with their goals...
For my goals, I am over halfway as my book goal is 100 and I have read 52 so far. Though the widget is now telling me that I'm one book behind, so i'll have a bit of catching up to do.
In terms of pages read, my goal is 25000 for the year and I am at 15,131 right now, so that should be an easy one to reach as well. :)

message 13: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Shay wrote: "Jencey wrote: "I am actually ahead on my goal of 75 books."

Are you going to increase your goal or keep it at 75? Even though I'm "on track", I usually read less in December. Too busy getting read..."

I guess I will wait and see what happens. You know be pleasantly surprised if it becomes more.

message 14: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Wonderful reading, Melissa!

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) Zakiya wrote: "Wonderful reading, Melissa!"
Thank you!

message 16: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) No problem!

message 17: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 106 comments My reading goals for the year were to read 120 books, read 40,000 pages, and to complete a 100 task reading challenge I'm working on with another group. According to my widget, I'm 12 books ahead of my goal (with 78 books). One of those books, however, is War and Peace and it's ROUGH going with that one so far...

message 18: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I agree that classics are really tough to stick to. But you seem to be doing really awesome on your other goals ! :D

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 23, 2011 04:23PM) (new)

I'm doing fine on pages but my book count is lower than I'd like. That's what comes of reading thousand-page novels.

message 20: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments Tanya wrote: "My reading goals for the year were to read 120 books, read 40,000 pages, and to complete a 100 task reading challenge I'm working on with another group. According to my widget, I'm 12 books ahead ..."

I read War and Peace last year. I plan to read Anna Karenina this year.

message 21: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Sho wrote: "I'm doing fine on pages but my book count is lower than I'd like. That's what comes of reading thousand-page novels."

But at least you're knocking those pages out! :)

message 22: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments Well, it takes longer to read a page of War and Peace or Ulysses than a page of a mystery novel. I noticed that when I read more classics and non-fiction my page count drops off, too.

message 23: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Wow, those War and Peace pages must be giant. You don't read like fiction work?

message 24: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments Zakiya wrote: "Wow, those War and Peace pages must be giant. You don't read like fiction work?"

The pages aren't necessarily bigger. It's just that it's somehow more "dense", not as easy to read as a mystery, urban fiction, or YA. You have to pay attention because something that doesn't appear to be significant will be significant 400 pages later. Also, stuff like War and Peace is more "layered"- Tolstoy will allude to Russian folklore or historical figures. So, if you're not familiar with the allusion, you have to go look it up. There's a scene in the book- a hunting scene- that's a major allusion to elements, like the wolf, from Russian folklore. Gives a lot of insight into the characters.

message 25: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Wow. Definitely one of those books that I hope they wont make us read in high school. LOL. But I'm sure its really good. Will have to take my time with that one whenever I read it.