Literary Exploration discussion

Random Book Banter > What book would you memorize?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Ruth's "Fahrenheit 451" post brought back memories...my dad and I used to play this game - if Bradbury's book were real, what book would you memorize?

He chose "Don Quixote." I picked "The Poseidon Adventure." (Hey -I was 12 at the time.)

message 2: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Frankenstein for sure :-)

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Can I choose the Encyclopaedia Britannica? :P

Maybe The Lord of the Rings. That story has it all. Action, adventure, romance, philosophy, language, poetry, suspense. A story to hand down through the generations.

message 4: by Pixelina (new)

Pixelina Aischylos Orestia. It makes me wanna learn ancient greek.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

the complete sherlock holmes

message 6: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Depending on whether or not there would still be Google, the world may need someone with "encyclopedic knowledge" Kim.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim The world needs knowledge but it also needs entertainment. The best story makes someone laugh and cry and think and feel. I've yet to experience all that in one book yet but I haven't stopped searching.

message 8: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 18 comments The Mahabharata

message 9: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V Ruth, I second that. It has all the ingredients of a best-seller,philosophy and religion to boot. I am still discovering it.

message 10: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 18 comments Sonali wrote: "Ruth, I second that. It has all the ingredients of a best-seller,philosophy and religion to boot. I am still discovering it."

Definitely! It has it all, every bit of humanity in one enormous work.

How I would ever memorize the longest story ever written, though, that I don't know! :D

message 11: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Better get started now, Ruth.

And Kim, how's that encyclopedia thing coming?

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim Well I recently read The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World and the sheer size of the EB is massive. My memory is nowhere near good enough to remember 10 pages let alone the whole thing :P

message 13: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 18 comments Oh, A.J. Jacobs! His books are hilarious! I loved that one, but even more I loved The Year of Living Biblically.

message 14: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Ruth wrote: "Oh, A.J. Jacobs! His books are hilarious! I loved that one, but even more I loved The Year of Living Biblically."

I'm reading that one now

message 15: by Booksy (new)

Booksy | 96 comments "Alice in Wonderland". And a novel of outstanding beauty and depth, classics of Russian literature - "Dead Souls" by Gogol.

message 16: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Excellent choices, I love Alice In Wonderland and Russian Literature

message 17: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) | 220 comments I'd choose to memorize The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. It's actually these three books:Quicksilver Quicksilver (Baroque Cycle, #1) by Neal Stephenson , The Confusion The Confusion (The Baroque Cycle, #2) by Neal Stephenson and The System of the World The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, #3) by Neal Stephenson but all three are so incredible that I consider them to be one book.

Altogether they have story, plot, ups, downs, history, literature, art, and a wonderful wonderful writing style. Plus, they are long enough to tell in an Arabian Nights fashion if you're ever in such a predicament!

message 18: by Booksy (new)

Booksy | 96 comments Knowledge Lost wrote: "Excellent choices, I love Alice In Wonderland and Russian Literature"

Thank you KL, if you like Russian literature, the next "First Tuesday Book Club" is going to discuss "Master and Margarita" by Bulgakhov, recommended by Marieke Hardy. This is another favourite of mine too. It'll be interesting to see what the club members think of it when they read it. I recommended this book to some friends but received no feedback, and one said she couldn't finish it. So, it's not for everybody's choice, plus I admit the humour in it is full of political subversiveness and you really have to know Russian history of the 19th century to appreciate it.
Booksy

message 19: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Don't worry, I never miss a first Tuesday book club

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I would choose to memorize "Gone With the Wind." It's full of such wonderful detail, and I adore the characters!