#amwriting discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Jul 14, 2011 04:50AM) (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 2 comments May as well get us started. Who are you, and what are you writing :D

My name is John Bullock (amwriting bio), I am nearly thirty, unpublished and I predominately write fantasy and science fiction.

I started writing in earnest around three years ago, and am currently working on my first novel, a fantasy tentatively titled "The Last of the Keepers." I haven't had the "joy" of a rejection letter yet.

My main influences are Terry Pratchett, Robert Rankin, Piers Anthony (as well as the usual suspects, like Tolkien).

message 2: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Harness (johannaharness) | 3 comments Mod
Thanks for suggesting the group, John! I'll pop by after I finish writing today and add my intro too. :)

message 3: by Shianan (last edited Jul 14, 2011 05:25AM) (new)

Shianan (mysticpurl) | 1 comments Hey there! I'm Shannon Kelly. I've been writing off and on since I was ten (thankfully have gotten better since then). Being a published author has been my dream since my 3rd grade class was read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe every day after recess for about a month and a half.

I wasn't able to convince my mom to buy the rest of the books in the series for me for another year. That summer I officially became an avid reader (devoured the books in a week) and a writer. I attempted to write my first (and last) play. I wish I still had those notebooks!

In this way, I've been influenced by C.S. Lewis. I studied for some time under Mort Castle, and later (much later) I found Holly Lisle, from whom I have learned so much about writing and being a decent person.

I'm now in my late twenties. I have two kids, three cats and a husband overseas.

message 4: by Shireen (new)

Shireen (shireenj) | 3 comments Hi all! My name is Shireen Jeejeebhoy. I've been writing since I was a kid, short stories and poems mostly and only seriously since the 1990s, and I've been reading for as long as I can remember. I joined Goodreads a few months ago and have been taking my time getting to know it. I love how it makes reading easier.

My first book Lifeliner: The Judy Taylor Story was a biography on the first person in the world to live without eating. Yes, it's true!

I've now returned to fiction, and my first novel She has just come out; it's an urban fantasy set in Toronto. Having lived here for years, I like this growing and fractious city as a setting. It provides endless conflict possibilities, plus it has a personality all its own.

I'm currently revising my second novel and am planning my third one, a SciFi.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Toz | 1 comments Hi Everyone! My name is Karen Pokras Toz - I am a new writer, writing for just over a year now. I have two books - one recently published - a novel written for 3rd-5th graders:
Nate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras Toz

& one that I want to revisit and publish eventually. I've also started a sequel to the Nate Rocks book.

Since this is a group derived from twitter hashtags, should we include our twitter id so we can follow each other? I am www.twitter.com/karentoz

message 6: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Harness (johannaharness) | 3 comments Mod
Hi all! I'm Johanna Harness and I write MG/YA. My story, "Cherry Bomb" is coming out in Mystery Times Ten from Buddhapuss Ink (releases July 22nd). I have a YA fantasy out on sub and I'm currently writing a YA contemporary.

I started the #amwriting hashtag on Twitter and had been thinking about starting a group here. When John asked me about it, I didn't hesitate.

I'm in the process of adding my books to Goodreads, but not adding anything I wouldn't give 4 or 5 stars. (And even then I'm comparing similar books to each other--because what living authors would want their books judged on a scale with Shakespeare? Jikes).

I also have a shelf for authors I know personally because, while honest in my evaluation, I recognize I may not be altogether objective. :)

Good idea adding twitter names, Karen! I'm www.twitter.com/johannaharness

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Trennett (megantrennett) | 1 comments It looks like I'm about a day late in joining the introductions, but I didn't get the e-mail about it until today. Oops, oh well.

My name is Megan Trennett, though that's just my writer identity. My mild-mannered, alter-ego's last name is Bennnett. I'm from Nova Scotia, though I'm currently in Montreal Quebec.

I've been telling stories since a very young age, though it didn't occur to me to write anything down until I was in the fourth grade. From then on, I was known at school as "the weirdo who writes for fun."

Fast forward to college, I signed up for a new course at my community college called "Writing for Publication" where I learned from the great Thea Atkinson. When I left the course, I learned a lot about writing, though I will confess I didn't write for about three years after that (Sorry, Thea). When I started up, I did it as a stress reliever so I didn't kill customers at work (somehow I don't think that's good for business). Therefore, being out of focus for so long, I've been reading Blogs and learning what I can to refresh myself, and learn more as well.

Currently I'm an Indie author published with Girlebooks, and my debut novel, "Heart Pulled to Pieces", came out in April.

www.twitter.com/megantrennett

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Oh, suppose I can do this too. Hi all! I'm Patty. I've been writing seriously for about a year and for fun about two years. Right now I'm working on getting my novel, Being Human (please, don't remind me of the syfi show, I know, oh yes, I know!) ready to self-pub. It's not my first story, but the first one that stuck me as one that I wanted to share. So far, I am torn between sheer terror and squeeing like a fangirl. Hopefully, there will be more to come and improvements on my writing with each one.

My twitter is https://twitter.com/#!/patricialynne07

message 9: by Shireen (new)

Shireen (shireenj) | 3 comments Good idea Karen about Twitter handles. Mine is twitter.com/ShireenJ

Hi Megan! I find writing a great stress reliever too. As you said, a good way not to kill the customer..or an aggravating friend.

Hi Patricia! I never did see that show, but saw lots of ads for it. I know that terror/squeeing feeling well. LOL!

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Jun 24, 2013 11:13PM) (new)

Sarah | 1 comments I'm Sarah, I used to write short stories and eventually want to write another. I've been writing over the past four years (just recounted). I enjoy reading dark contemporary stories, dark futurism, and philosophical stories.

I just finished a short ghost story, now under third revision (expecting many more).