Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Les Misérables
This topic is about Les Misérables
Victor Hugo Collection > Les Miserables: Part 1 Book 5

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha | 495 comments Here is the thread for this weeks chunk! I am curious to hear people's thoughts...

message 2: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Fouch (melfouch) | 10 comments Wow. This part really renewed my enthusiasm for the book.

Again I liked the fact that Hugo doesn't make excuses for his characters.

Fantine is blameless for most of the bad things that happen to her, but at the same time she manages to be her own worst enemy in some ways, such as choosing to go into debt when she's only just started her job and not approaching Monsieur Madeleine when she is dismissed.

But she remains a very engaging character, and the sacrifice she made to get the 40 francs for Cosette means I could forgive her for any amount of silliness.

Lisa of Hopewell (hopewell) I'm only to Chapter 5. Does the pace pick up a little eventually?

Lisa of Hopewell (hopewell) I'm only to Chapter 5. Does the pace pick up a little eventually?

message 5: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Fouch (melfouch) | 10 comments Personally I felt the pace of the storytelling picked up once the focus shifted away from Monsieur Madeleine onto another character, a few chapters on.

Lisa of Hopewell (hopewell) Good to know...I'll keep slogging along.

message 7: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn | 0 comments I think it keeps getting better the further into the book we get. I read this whole section straight through last night it was so good.

message 8: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn | 0 comments Is the thread for the next reading section going to be put up soon? Am I the only one still reading this?

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda G | 9 comments I'm still with you Jenn - just haven't been on this site in a few days. I can't believe what sacrifices Fantine made for her daughter. How lonely she must have been as well - no family or friends for emotional support. If only she could find a way to visit Cosette and witness the treatment she is receiving.

message 10: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn | 0 comments I agree Brenda. All that Fantine went through for the sake of her daughter, just so she could send money to the greedy Thenardiers! But I think it was better that she was never able to visit Cosette and see how awful she was treated because I think what helped her get through everything was the idea that her daughter was being taken care of.

message 11: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma | 3 comments But all the same, it just made me ill to think about how much Fantine gave and how her daughter received none of it. If Fantine knew about the terrible treatment of the Thenardiers, wouldn't she have been able to move herself and her daughter out of that situation? I wonder.

message 12: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine | 1218 comments My heart just breaks for Fantine. I can't imagine having to leave my child with strangers and never see her, and then to go through all Fantine thinking she was helping her daughter and it was all went to the despicable Thenardiers!

message 13: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Have you gotten to the sacrifices Fantine makes in order to provide care for Cosette?

Love, Sacrifice, and Redemption, this book will give you several heartaches before your finished.

message 14: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine | 1218 comments Bob wrote: "Have you gotten to the sacrifices Fantine makes in order to provide care for Cosette?

Love, Sacrifice, and Redemption, this book will give you several heartaches before your finished."

Yes - I'm in the middle of Book 7 right now. Poor, poor Fantine. :-(